Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

May 15 American way magazine Hybrid article

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2005, 02:55 PM
Chuckokie
Default May 15 American way magazine Hybrid article

For you American Airlines fliers out there, check out the May 15 issue of American Way magazine.
There is an article "Ready Set, Go Green, Save energy with these Luxury Hybrids"
"The new trend in Hybrid vehicles is simple; all of the power, all of the Luxury, none of the guilt"
The Hybrids listed are: Lexus RH 400h, Ford Escape, Mercury Mariner, Toyota Hylander, Honda Accord, Saturn Vue, Toyota Prius, Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra.
On your next flight check it out!
Chuckokie

Old 05-18-2005, 03:06 PM
Site Founder
Default Re: May 15 American way magazine Hybrid article

Aw, looks like the Insight missed the mark

Old 05-19-2005, 02:48 PM
Rarely post anything

As did the HCH, since they just wound up listing (most) all of the players; the only 'lux' models I'd classify would be the Lexus and Mercury (and I'm stretching with the Merc). The HAH is technically 'near-lux', but I'll give the writer that one, as well. In-flight mags generally aren't held to the same standard, as say, the NY Times

Whichever hybrid we drive, let us always remember the substantial risk that the Insight owners took, being the earliest adopters of a then unproven technology (in real-world terms). They paved the way and played an important part in creating the acceptance factor that these vehicles enjoy today (not to mention the tangible benefits in the way of clean air and FE).

John Travolta's character in the recent movie may have used the "Cadillac of Hybrids" as a throwaway line, referring to the Insight - but when you think of Caddy's advertising tagline for so many years... "Standard of the World" - seems to me, at least, that this rings true, when talking about hybrids in general - at least currently. Diesel owners may disagree, but until clean fuel diesels make their appearance on these shores, it's not even debatable, IMO.

My heartfelt thanks to all Insighters, past and present.

Old 05-19-2005, 03:30 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I guess there is no way to think of our beloved Insights as "luxury". Ha!

But it would have been cool to at least be mentioned.

Hey GreenAndBlue, you really know how to get reputation points from me, huh?

Regards,

Last edited by hawkGT647; 05-19-2005 at 04:05 PM. Reason: typo (again!)
Old 05-19-2005, 03:38 PM
Rarely post anything

Hey, I *drove* Xcel's Insight, as you may recall...as he stated...a raw beast indeed, compared to what's available today! Still - an eye-opening experience. Compared to that car, I've got it easy...just enable the instantaneous and drive...LOL. Now, *that's* the definition of 'luxury'

Thanks for the rep points, Don - appreciated I can't see *who* gives them to me, in my User CP - but as I told Jason - it's just as well. "It's not a bug...it's a feature!"