Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

New Player -- sounds interesting

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 09:34 AM
Engineering first
Wink New Player -- sounds interesting

http://www.centredaily.com/471/story/414109.html

NEW YORK — US Hybrid Corporation announced today that it has received a license to use and commercialize the Southwest Research Institute's (SwRI) patented PECOS (Parallel Hybrid Electric Combination of Speeds) parallel hybrid drive system. The PECOS system offers a unique parallel/series hybrid solution utilizing a planetary system and is capable to operate in a parallel, series or pure EV mode.

US Hybrid is commercializing the patented hybrid system technology for use in commercial delivery vehicles, ports, off-road and GSE vehicles. "The PECOS system offers cost-effective hybrid solutions with substantial fuel economy improvement and emission reduction. The initial product development focus is for port operation support vehicles and off-road commercial vehicles," said Dr. Abas Goodarzi, President and CEO of US Hybrid.

The PECOS system was developed and tested at Southwest Research Institute (SwRI) in an internally funded project. Chassis testing of the powertrain on a mid-sized vehicle produced fuel economy benefits in the range of 40 percent to 50 percent for city driving.

US Hybrid will provide an integrated hybrid solution for commercial and off-road vehicles to enhance fuel economy and reduce emissions. The PECOS system does not need a clutch or torque converter to launch the vehicle and has only one electric machine for both parallel and series hybrid operation. The use of off-road vehicles is regulated near some populated areas such as ports and construction sites. The PECOS hybrid system provides a commercially viable hybrid solution to meet the 2010 emission requirements.
. . .
Usually I ignore announcements like this. There have been enough over the years of this or that hybrid specific technology that you could cover the bottom of a commercial chicken house with them. But this one has piqued my interest by introducing me to Southwest Research Institute of Austin Texas. I can't tell you why but as I visited the web sites and read their synopsis, this one may have some legs.

I'll be following these folks to see what happens.

Bob Wilson