Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Nissan to abandon Toyota HSD - LiIon plug-in hybrid by 2010 instead

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 12:11 AM
Need a Plug
Default Re: Nissan to abandon Toyota HSD - LiIon plug-in hybrid by 2010 instead

I drove every hybrid there is BUT the NAH, I live in Az so I had to settle driving plain 2.5 ALtima 2007. I read and read and narrowed it down to the Toyota Camry Hybrid and the Nissan Altima Hybrid. Man it was tough I made comparisons sheets.
Plus for NAH Rear View camera, MP3 disk player you get the idea the NAH had superior electronics I felt in a number of ways.

Plus for the Camry Passenger seat electric adjustment.

Then you get to the handling and drivability The NAH has the edge, The Camry has more cushion but it is definitely my Fathers car (an I am 72)

Now to the important stuff. Engine size, Patter size, Torque range of engine. highest speed for EV mode, you get it I really did the retired multi degreed engineer on this thing I though I would drive my wife crazy. You must add in we are driving the King of all cars now a VW Phaeton, can mot be improve upon. Anyway back to the selection. So I give the nod to the Altima Hybrid but I want all the goodies, Tech package the works. AND I am in Scottsdale. I can't even see it on the INTERNET aha unless i but a California zip code into the Nissan site voilà then I can "Build my own" and start searching inventories. Wow I searched over 18 dealerships to get my color and a Tech pack.

When I found it I immediately called the Internet sales manager and asked do you really have Vin# in stock and does it have etc. Yup! I said go this minute I'll hold on and put a sold sign on it. Come back to the phone and we will complete the deal. The rest was simple and history. In about a week a motor transport rolled up and we off loaded my wonderful NAH.

So how do I feel Jerked off by that fuzz head that runs the company I'll have a high deprecreation vehicle and get taken to the cleaners again I hope their new idea blows up in their face. Thanks for robbing all of us early adopter that believed in your car and your ads. you cheater.

Last edited by GripperDon; 06-20-2007 at 01:56 PM.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:57 AM
Old Boomer Techie
Thumbs down Re: Nissan to abandon Toyota HSD - LiIon plug-in hybrid by 2010 instead

Nissan is fixin' what ain't Broke! Up here in Washington State people are clamoring for the NAH, but can't get it unless they go to California. (The distance also pretty much rules out a trade-in deal unless your prepared to risk outright acceptance of the first dealer eval.) The result is record TCH sales with waiting lines and bidding wars for the most popular colors. Anyone at Nissan understand the first principles of ROI? They have a winner and they are rushing to change it.

Old 06-20-2007, 01:08 PM
Active Enthusiast
Location: Two miles N of the technology 'center-of-the-world' in 1903, on the Outer Banks of NC

Originally Posted by ck90211
Nogorak, agree with you the Plug-in hybrids are the most practical, realistic technology for the immediate 10 years. And Fuel Cell is not feasible because most gas stations can't afford the distribution (they can't even afford a $5K nitrogen generator to fill tires with nitrogen!). I still think every company will have hybrid models in due time, just to be sure they are "with it".

But the reason why I think the hybrid war is over is because a Toyota and Honda already owns the patents to a lot of practical hybrid designs/ideas/concepts. So any new designs/concepts/products will need to play nice with Toyota/Honda's lawyers. I am not saying there is no more hybrids coming, I just believe that Toyota/Honda will probably be the "benevolent" dictators on the future of hybrids. Oh I really hope that does not happen.

Diesel is not a complete solution, because it puts us back to over-relying on fossil fuel again, not to mention potential environmental impacts. But I think non hybrid companies are just so desperate that they will say anything to to diss hybrids for the time being. And press are likely to follow, because they still get plenty of sponsorship money from carmakers.

Maybe diesel/plug-in hybrids will be the answer.
Actually I believe that there is a cooperative environment in existance right now in regards to the various hybrid technologies.
1) Toyota is not ( til now ) promoting it's HSD technology in smaller vehicles. It is also not promoting it in heavier vehicles either.
2) Honda tried promoting its IMA in midsized vehicles but withdrew the HAH and is expanding it to a Fit-sized vehicle to be built in Indiana apparently.
3) Ford is expanding its technology, albeit slowly due to outside factors.
4) GM is late to the party but its 2-Mode apparently is just as capable as any of the three above in terms of FE but it is much much more capable in heavy vehicles. None of the other three can say this.

Notice how all 4 are kind of 'keeping off the other's turf'. The market it primed to accept the fact of hybrid technology being reliable and doing what is expected of it. Now there just has to be choices across the whole product spectrum.

Old 06-20-2007, 03:38 PM
Engineering first

This reminds me of the old joke, "How do you make God laugh?"

"Announce a new plan."

I'll be a lot happier when the announced products are found on the showroom floors. For now, there is a lot of buzz but not much honey.

Bob Wilson