Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Nissan Altima Hybrid to be sold in 8 states only

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 08:16 AM
YA RLY.
Angry Nissan Altima Hybrid to be sold in 8 states only

DUMB!

The Altima Hybrid will be available in eight states. The vehicle has been certified to meet California emissions requirements and will be sold beginning in early 2007 in those states that have adopted California emissions regulations: California, New York, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Vermont, Rhode Island, Maine and New Jersey. These states are among the strongest markets for hybrid vehicles.
http://www.nissannews.com/niss...shtml

Old 04-22-2006, 01:44 PM
Hybrid True Believer
Default Re: Nissan Altima Hybrid to be sold in 8 states only

The problem is that the CEO of Nissan *really* doesn't believe in hybrids. He doesn't believe they're cost-efficient and he doesn't believe the technology is here to stay.

Unfortunately, that kind of attitude trickles down to the sales staff, who in turn will probably not push the Altima Hybrid very much. Indeed, the sales staff might even talk down the hybrid in favor of conventional models.

This will end up being a self-fufilling prophecy for Nissan, I'm afraid. Meanwhile, the Prius and HCH get sold as quickly as they can be manufactured.

Old 04-22-2006, 02:23 PM
Active Enthusiast

Sorry but I seem to be behind with the news.

Can someone update me as to when Nissan came up with their own Hybrid technology?

Last thing I heard from them was their 3.5L V6 engine is being used in every vehicle they sell. But that's old news way back at least 3-4 years ago.

Old 04-22-2006, 02:38 PM
Hybrid True Believer

Originally Posted by CamelFilters
Sorry but I seem to be behind with the news.

Can someone update me as to when Nissan came up with their own Hybrid technology?

Last thing I heard from them was their 3.5L V6 engine is being used in every vehicle they sell. But that's old news way back at least 3-4 years ago.
They didn't. They're adapting Toyota's HSD to the Altima. The talking heads at Nissan already said that the HSD is going to be programmed to increase performance, not fuel economy. So I suppose it would appeal to those who want a "muscle" hybrid. If it's priced right, it could sell better than the Accord Hybrid.

Old 04-23-2006, 11:15 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AshenGrey
They didn't. They're adapting Toyota's HSD to the Altima. The talking heads at Nissan already said that the HSD is going to be programmed to increase performance, not fuel economy. So I suppose it would appeal to those who want a "muscle" hybrid. If it's priced right, it could sell better than the Accord Hybrid.
Thanks for the info,
i did some reading just for FYI and i found this from hybridcars.com:

http://www.hybridcars.com/altima.html

Here's a Quote from the article
Instead of focusing primarily on fuel economy and reduced emissions, Nissan will try to match the performance and acceleration of non-hybrid models. “Most hybrids focus on smaller engines with environmental benefits like emitting cleaner exhaust fumes but Nissan’s hybrid will also have the same driver performance and speed as any Altima,” said Kyle Bazemore, Nissan communications senior manager.

So i'm glad that the focus is not primarily on just fuel economy, but also on performance. Makes sense, considering they are just starting out and are behind toyota and honda.

Hybrid without fuel economy, and just primarily focused on performance just doesnt make sense; I just read that honda MIGHT D/C the Honda accord hybrid due to slow sales: this is partly due to it's questionable fuel economy.

the article can be read here: (dated april 13,06)

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/12303373/

So the Altima makes sense, but would anyone here choose it over the Camry Hybrid 07 which is coming shortly next month? it's priced at $31,900CND or just $700 more than the base Prius ($31,200CND).
and on top of that, the Camry has a new and redisigned shape

Last edited by CamelFilters; 04-23-2006 at 11:17 AM.
Old 04-23-2006, 07:47 PM

I predict the Altima Hybrid being a disaster because Nissan just does not care about the technology; they're only doing this as lip-service to hybrid tech. It likely won't be as bad as the Accord Hybrid though -- remember, that car just mated a 240-HP V-6 with a 15-HP electric motor and called it quits. At least this would use Toyota's more elaborate hybrid system.

Still, while sacrificing a bit of economy is fine for added speed, people expect hybrids to have significantly better mileage than regular cars, so I don't think the NAH will sell well. And Ghosn will view that as evidence that hybrids aren't viable and so he'll remain ignorant.

Old 04-24-2006, 02:15 PM
Energy Independence!

Originally Posted by CGameProgrammer
Still, while sacrificing a bit of economy is fine for added speed, people expect hybrids to have significantly better mileage than regular cars, so I don't think the NAH will sell well. And Ghosn will view that as evidence that hybrids aren't viable and so he'll remain ignorant.
In a sense, this is similar to the infamous "give them leather, that what matters" comment by Lee Iaccoca when shown the first front wheel drive cars.

Carlos Goshn, although an extremely talented and intelligent individual, has the arrogant demeanor of the individual who has had way too much success....he/she does not conceive the notion that he/she could be wrong.

One saw the same traits on Edison, with the AC/DC current wars, or Henry Ford who refused to give up his beloved Model T.

Old 04-30-2006, 07:55 PM
Enthusiast

Come on, let's stay positive.

-Nissan hybrids

OK, so they're going to weigh the design towards performance. Don't forget; of the 3 new hybrids Toyota is bringing out in the next two years (unsure when/if the Sienna will be out w/in that time frame), two will be performance models (the GS450 and LS600).

-Carlos Goshn

Nissan is already investing a lot in fuel saving technology; as Ford and GM are giving up on CVT's, Nissan is charging ahead

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...02/002701.html

They're only going to be able to purchase 20-something thousand Toyota/Aisin transaxles and Panasonic batteries/year, verses a million CVT's from their supplier. There are other ways to reduce fuel consumption in vehicles w/o adding $5000 to the powertrain. Remember, Volkswagen is able to sell every diesel they are allowed to import.

Old 05-02-2006, 11:26 AM
Enthusiast

Let's keep staying positive!

>Nissan/technology

Everyone seems to forget that NISSAN was the first company to certify a conventional engine SULEV in California. Yup, before Toyota OR Honda. Back in 2000, they brought this to the U.S. (MY2001 Nissan Sentra CA)

http://www.autoworld.com/news/nissan/ca_sentra.asp

Fast forward to the 2006 Society of Automotive Engineers Expo in Detroit, where Nissan presented preliminary P/T layouts for hybrid utlizing belt (not planetary gear) CVT's (http://www.sae.org/servlets/productD...=2006-01-0668), which is the direction they were going with their own technology back in the late 90's (http://www.greencars.com/gcj/tino.htm)

Just givin' 'em props