Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

NOW IS THE TIME TO BUY AN SUV.......

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 06:42 PM
now Insight, had an HCH
Thumbs down NOW IS THE TIME TO BUY AN SUV.......

Quote:
Why now's the time to buy an SUV
"$3 gas has turned guzzlers into white elephants. If you really need or want a big truck, the bucks you save could buy a lot of fuel."
This link has a bunch of bull like "The costly secrets of hybrid cars"
and now for the link: "CLICK HERE" to get outraged.

Old 07-05-2006, 07:36 PM
Banned
Default Re: NOW IS THE TIME TO BUY AN SUV.......

This article need to be on this writer's resume permanently.

A quote that reminds me of the late Ken Lay's forcast of Enron in it's final months:
Originally Posted by article
The U.S. Energy Information Agency forecasts that oil prices now above $70 a barrel will sink below $34 by 2015
It will be interesting to explain how the daily fuel consumption of the US, Europe, Japan, China, India will go from about 85 million barrels to 120 million (something like that - it's going to increase) and the price of oil is going to be half of what it is now.

It's cheaper to get an analog TV with everything than an HDTV - sound like a plan?

VCR movies are probably cheaper than the DVD versions too - I'm just using the writer's logic.

Old 07-05-2006, 07:38 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

TFA:
While current high gasoline prices are forecast to linger for the next year or so, the long-term picture is different. The U.S. Energy Information Agency forecasts that oil prices now above $70 a barrel will sink below $34 by 2015.

I've got $1 to bet anyone that the national average for regular unleaded will be above $2.80/gallon, one year from now.

/was $2.69, the day Katrina hit.
//is $2.92 now.

Old 07-05-2006, 07:45 PM
Banned

Forgot to mention:
  • years since a US refinery was built
  • refineries and off shore rigs are vunerable to hurricanes
  • production is hampered by the local varieties of US gasoline (15?)
  • What if there is a crisis in Nigeria? The Middle East? If Hugo Chavez gets in a real bad mood?
  • Shale oil is not going to be cheap

Old 07-05-2006, 08:08 PM
Java Geek

Is it me or does this article read like a real-estate cheerleader just replace 'house' with 'suv' ?

Old 07-05-2006, 08:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by kasia
Is it me or does this article read like a real-estate cheerleader just replace 'house' with 'suv' ?
To say any vehicle is a better investment than land sounds like very bad financial advise....I hope that's not his point.

Old 07-05-2006, 08:27 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I have to give the author some credit for this statement:

Of course, there are a few caveats and considerations. Buying an SUV doesn't make a lot of sense if you don't really need one. Ask yourself if you're going to use that room. Do you have hauling to do, whether of supplies or lots of kids? Second, know that you're making some environmental sacrifices. Sure, you get a bigger, nicer car. But you'll still be burning more gas, and polluting more.
Also, the author used current gas prices to calculate the gas cost of a Durango and compare to an Accord--probably the fair way to do it.

I want to know how the U.S. Energy Information Agency came up with an oil price forecast of <$34 per barrel. I'm going to check some of this stuff out.

http://www.eia.doe.gov/oiaf/ieo/index.html

Old 07-05-2006, 08:41 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

As for the costly secrets of hybrid cars, the first thing that is talked about are GMC's K15 Sierra hybrid and Chevrolet's Silverado hybrid. Many people would debate that these vehicles should not even be called hybrids.

The title is definitely misleading.

Speaking only for myself, there was no costly secret for buying a hybrid. Considering both the federal and my state tax credits, my Civic Hybrid w/Navi was cheaper by more than $1,000 than a Civic EX w/ Navi. This does not even take into account environmental concerns or fuel costs.

Old 07-05-2006, 08:44 PM
Active Enthusiast

Yeah get an SUV to pay $1.99 per gallon fuel protection. I stopped paying attention to that stuff big SUV makers are probably lining the pockets of the writer. Hybrids don't get the MPG they post yet I've managed to get over EPA making minor adjustments to my driving.

Old 07-06-2006, 03:24 AM
Engineering first

An SUV fool and their money are soon parted. IMHO, a good thing since the cost of gas will keep them home and off the highway.

They probably also think "If I drive fast, I'll get there before I run out of gas."

Bob Wilson

Quick Reply: NOW IS THE TIME TO BUY AN SUV.......

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands