Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Oil hits new all time high

Old 03-03-2008, 10:56 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Oil hits new all time high

Today the price of crude oil broke its inflation adjusted all time high of $103.76, spiking to $103.95.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080303/oil_prices.html

Unfortunately for us, the factors pushing it up are quite different than those of 1980 and it doesn't look like it will abate significantly any time soon.

Old 03-03-2008, 11:11 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Oil hits new all time high

On the flip side; my gold that I bought with my tax refund last year has reached $990 an Oz!

Old 03-07-2008, 04:42 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Chris(CA)
On the flip side; my gold that I bought with my tax refund last year has reached $990 an Oz!
Yup.
I've been buying gold, too; for about two years.

There is a loose, but definite relationship between the price of gold and the price of oil of around 8:1 to 10:1.

It's a pretty safe bet that your gold will be worth $2,000/oz. at around the same time that oil hits $200/brl. Keep buying the gold.

Old 03-07-2008, 12:00 PM
occ
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

How about $106

http://money.cnn.com/2008/03/07/mark...ion=2008030711

Do you think we can still invest in oil? It'll continue the upward trend, wouldn't it?

Old 03-07-2008, 12:06 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by occ
How about $106

http://money.cnn.com/2008/03/07/mark...ion=2008030711

Do you think we can still invest in oil? It'll continue the upward trend, wouldn't it?
While oil is a non-renewable resource it is being depleted at a slow rate when compared to market gyrations. There are other factors that are impacting the price of oil now, chiefly OPEC production quotas and US refining capacity. If these change it could have a big impact on the price of oil (positive or negative). So I wouldn't invest on the theory that it has to go up because its non-renewable. Oil is going to have its peaks and troughs over the next 40 years or so. More peaks than troughs but whose to say if $106 isn't a localized peak?

Old 03-07-2008, 02:39 PM
Old Boomer Techie

I think it somewhat funny (and very, very sad) that the one group that could/should resonably be less concerned about oil prices is one of the most vocal about it.

Old 03-07-2008, 04:27 PM
Enthusiast
Default $105 a barrel for oil...........

Is it just me or will anyone else here be laughing at the gas pump this year....
If it hits $4.00 a gallon there will be a mad rush for hybrids.........
I also think the resale on hybrids should do very well in the future............

Old 03-07-2008, 05:15 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FastMover
I think it somewhat funny (and very, very sad) that the one group that could/should resonably be less concerned about oil prices is one of the most vocal about it.
Not so sad because its not exactly a random sample. Everyone who drives one of these cars, especially those who visit an enthusiast internet forum, obviously place fuel efficiency high on their chart (if not the top feature) of their vehicle purchase.

Given this is it any surprise that they are still concerned about fuel costs even if they may drive a fuel efficient car? Not really.

Old 03-07-2008, 05:27 PM
Enthusiast

You guys are thinking of this the wrong way. The more expensive gas gets, the more money you are saving and arguably, the smarter you are for having bought your hybrid. You should be celebrating its climb. On a serious note, if conservation is part of your ownership choice then very high gas prices are great. Being hit hard in the wallet is the only thing that will make most North Americans actually try to use less of it. That in the end is good for the environment. We didn't buy yet, but are just about to sign for a 08 HiHY pending some financial details. Decision makes more sense every day.

Old 03-07-2008, 07:07 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Volkov
You guys are thinking of this the wrong way. The more expensive gas gets, the more money you are saving and arguably, the smarter you are for having bought your hybrid. You should be celebrating its climb. On a serious note, if conservation is part of your ownership choice then very high gas prices are great. Being hit hard in the wallet is the only thing that will make most North Americans actually try to use less of it. That in the end is good for the environment. We didn't buy yet, but are just about to sign for a 08 HiHY pending some financial details. Decision makes more sense every day.
Post-ante purchase though more expensive gas = more out of pocket expense. While the ROI on our hybrid purchase may make more sense, once you own the hybrid its a sunk cost.

I still prefer cheaper to more expensive gasoline as I'd rather my hybrid choice have a lower ROI but me have a higher net worth at the end of the day than vice-versa

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil hits new all time high

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands