Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Prius & Solar Panels

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 08:04 PM
Hybrid Evangelist
Default Prius & Solar Panels

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/stor...&dist=hplatest

HONG KONG (MarketWatch) -- Toyota Motor Corp. plans to install a solar power generation system on its Prius hybrid car, when the vehicle goes through a complete makeover as early as next spring, according to a media report Monday.

Old 07-07-2008, 02:18 AM
Enthusiast
Default solar powered AC for Prius

Prius 'to be part solar-powered'

Toyota is planning to add solar-powered air conditioning to high-end models of its Prius hybrid cars, a report says.

The new feature would be part of the third-generation Prius, which is due to be launched next year, according to the Nikkei business daily.

It reported that the models would have Kyocera solar panels, which could provide between two and five kilowatts of electricity.

Toyota has a policy of not commenting on future product plans.

Sales of the Prius have been increasing as rising oil prices have made the better fuel consumption of its combined petrol engine and electric motor more attractive.
More than one million of the models have already been sold and Toyota aims to sell one million a year sometime after 2010.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7492647.stm

Old 07-07-2008, 03:53 AM
Engineering first
Default Re: Prius & Solar Panels

You might find this web site interesting:
http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/APRS-SPHEV.html

Bob is one of the regulars in the YahooGroup "Prius_Technical_Stuff."

Bob Wilson

Old 07-07-2008, 06:16 AM
HSD Organic Interface

I've read a few versions of this article now and somehow I think the author references to "solar powered A/C" is missing the point a bit (I hope). Solar panels generate electricity, Toyota hybrids use electricity in all kinds of ways besides A/C (driving the car, charging battery, even listening to the radio). Since this is not an official Toyota announcement I can't help but think the source providing the info was giving a comparitive example of the power available from the solar panels to head off any misinterpretations that people would be zipping along at 70mph powered by nothing other than a roof mounted solar panel.

If in fact it is going to be used nothing more than for A/C power, it would really limit the potential value of such a system outside of areas that are hot year round.

Old 07-07-2008, 06:46 AM
Witch w/ sense of humor

Ford also had the idea to add solar powered cooling to the Reflex hybrid. Too bad the car never got built. Gasoline went back down to $2 and Ford foolishly junked the idea for the Reflex.

Old 07-08-2008, 11:59 AM
Energy Independence!

The limited surface area available on the top of a vehicle, would limit the total power output of a solar panel. Thus such a solar panel would only be useful to top-off the batteries, or provide energy for power hungry accesories (A/C certainly qualifies as such).

However...if that increases your range by 20 percent or so, it would still be very useful indeed.

Old 07-09-2008, 03:20 PM
Active Enthusiast

Here is another interesting site: I say that every Hybrid should be topped with solar panels. Why not? Can't hurt and can help a lot.

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2007..._hybrid_ca.php

Old 07-12-2008, 04:03 AM
Active Enthusiast

Putting solar panels on cars is an absolute waste of silicon. To be most efficient - a solar panel needs to be in the sun. It makes much more sense to put them in a stationary position at the right angle. Solar costs are still climbing because of the demand and scarcity of materials and manufacturing capacity. Using that technology on something that may be in the direct sun 2 hours a day (on average - totally guessing here) would be a waste of resources. Talk about being green just for show.

So stupid mandates can "hurt".

Imagine a solar panel on a car in Vermont that is parked in the garage at home and covered parking at work. Those solar panels would probably see less than 5% of their potential. Kind of like an SUV with a V-8 carrying 1 passenger.

Old 07-12-2008, 05:28 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 300TTto545
Putting solar panels on cars is an absolute waste of silicon. To be most efficient - a solar panel needs to be in the sun. It makes much more sense to put them in a stationary position at the right angle. Solar costs are still climbing because of the demand and scarcity of materials and manufacturing capacity. Using that technology on something that may be in the direct sun 2 hours a day (on average - totally guessing here) would be a waste of resources. Talk about being green just for show.

So stupid mandates can "hurt".

Imagine a solar panel on a car in Vermont that is parked in the garage at home and covered parking at work. Those solar panels would probably see less than 5% of their potential. Kind of like an SUV with a V-8 carrying 1 passenger.
Even in Vermont; when a car is out on the highway(which is where we want to use the solar energy, not when its home parked in a garage) it is usually in direct sun. Now think of every hybrid on the road running A/C. That means they are in the Sun. If we can make cars completely powered by solar panels, then your argument is moot and solar panels will indeed be a huge advantage to Hybrid Cars. So here you go http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1026201442.htm

A car fully powered by solar. Its been around for a while. Using this exact technology to recharge my battery is a great idea especially in the summer when my a/c drains the battery quickly. If we can now capture the suns energy to recharge the battery without using the ICE then I am saving gas. According to Toyota, another 10mpg overall!!!

In addition; we could in essence, use the sun to help cool the battery too thereby allowing a longer cycle before it overheats and gets depleted. A solar powered cooling fan just for the battery. Remember, I though of it first.

By the way: Boats and RV's have been using Solar for years to charge their overtaxed batteries.

Old 07-12-2008, 10:19 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Indigo
Ford also had the idea to add solar powered cooling to the Reflex hybrid. Too bad the car never got built. Gasoline went back down to $2 and Ford foolishly junked the idea for the Reflex.

Wow... that's right! I remember that now. When I heard this announcement I kept thinking Toyota was copying Fisker, 'cause the Karma shown at the Autoshow in Detroit had the solar panel roof for climate control.

But the Ford Reflex (Refl3x) did too! Why didn't Ford make that car? What an eff-up. It was a concept in '06, it could be coming to market about now if they'd have went gangbusters on it. I would've bought one.

Quick Reply: Prius & Solar Panels

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands