Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Quiet hybrids pose an invisible threat

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 07:47 PM
now Insight, had an HCH
Default Quiet hybrids pose an invisible threat

I couldn't help but laugh. I can see it now, insurance rates going up because it's a threat to pedestrians. If that day came I'll be real happy I don't have an EV mode. (just kidding, I am really envious of the EV mode)

http://www.motortrend.com/features/news/112_news27/

Old 02-07-2006, 07:59 PM
Banned
Default Re: Quiet hybrids pose an invisible threat

I used to Rollerblade a lot. A couple of times, I'd skate Saturday on White Rock Creek Trail with new wheels and bearings - silent. I started to announce my presence after a couple of stunned pedestrians had some ephithets and another almost had a heart attack...

Old 02-07-2006, 09:48 PM
Active Enthusiast

I work on cars for a living and i am constantly in dealers parking lots, when im cruising around in ev mode looking for a certain car to work on, customers, techs, and execs, are ALWAYS walking out in front of me. When i beep the horn to let them know of my presents, they jump ten feet. (I love it) i think i even saw a secretary pee her pants ! I know i made this a joke but it does happen to me almost every day.

Old 02-07-2006, 10:40 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

I've had a few people walk out in front of me. I had one elderly lady seemingly try to get run over by me; I thought it was humorous when the person with her pointed at me, and she turned and jumped.

If people are really worried, they can always buy one of those bulbs that makes a beeping noise for their license plate or somesuch.

I thought that bit in the article about people looking the driver right in the eye and still being surprised was rather apt, as well as the bit about the magic forcefields and people on their Ipods or whatever.