Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Recharge Wrap-up: No Tesla Gigafactory deal with California, BMW i3 recalled

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 12:41 PM
IB Staff
Default Recharge Wrap-up: No Tesla Gigafactory deal with California, BMW i3 recalled

Filed under: EV/Plug-in, Manufacturing/Plants, BMW, Nissan, Tesla Motors, Legislation and Policy, Renault, Europe/EU, North America, Asia, Pacific Region, China, USA

Before the Nevada announcement was hinted at, a deal to incentivize a Tesla Gigafactory in California fell through. Tesla was looking for around $500 million in incentives, which the California Governor's Office of Business and Economic Development was willing to offer in tax breaks along with making the permit and environmental processes easier. According to Senator Ted Gaines, there still remained "a gap between what Tesla wanted and what California was willing to offer," the contents of which were undisclosed. California could still be chosen for another of Tesla's battery plants, should those ever materialize. Read more at The Desert Sun.

The California Air Resources Board (CARB) will consider allowing a bit of compliance flexibility to its Zero Emission Vehicle (ZEV) regulations for some automakers. CARB will hold a hearing to discuss giving intermediate volume manufacturers (IVMs) - carmakers that do between 4,501 and 60,000 new vehicle sales in the state - some leniency catching up to the larger manufacturers when it comes to clean vehicle production. The ZEV regulation changes take into account the amount of revenue IVMs have available for developing the cars, particularly plug-in hybrids. Read more at Green Car Congress or see the notice from CARB here.

Certain units of the BMW i3 are subject to an airbag recall. For cars built March 31, 2014, the passenger airbag inflator may have been assembled incorrectly, which could keep it from deploying when needed. Owners will be notified by BMW, and the problem will be fixed for free. The recall also affects certain 2014 Mini Cooper models. Learn more at the NHTSA website.

The Renault-Nissan Alliance is providing 200 electric vehicles to telecommunications company Orange in France. The cars, which will include the Nissan Leaf, Nissan e-NV200, Renault ZOE and Renault Kangoo ZE, will be used mostly for carsharing. Through the program, Orange employees can book a car for work or personal travel using a smartphone. The Alliance will also help Orange install charging stations for the new cars. The addition of the EVs to the fleet will help Orange achieve its goal of reducing its carbon footprint by 20 percent by 2020. Read more in the press release, below.

Jianghuai Automobile Company (JAC) is delivering its first 100 EVs to the US. The shipment is part of a larger order of 2,000 cars to be sold by GreenTech Automotive in the US market. Read more at ECNS.Continue reading Recharge Wrap-up: No Tesla Gigafactory deal with California, BMW i3 recalled

Recharge Wrap-up: No Tesla Gigafactory deal with California, BMW i3 recalled originally appeared on AutoblogGreen on Thu, 04 Sep 2014 15:33:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...