Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

SAE Symposium on Hybrids

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 03:34 AM
Engineering first
Default SAE Symposium on Hybrids

http://www.designnews.com/article/CA6429989.html

Progress, Challenges of More Hybrid Vehicles Discussed at SAE
Hybrid Vehicle Technologies Symposium addressed the hottest powertrain technologies

Randy Frank, Contributing Editor -- Design News, April 9, 2007

At the fourth SAE Hybrid Vehicle Technologies Symposium, held Feb. 7-8 in San Diego, carmakers and researchers discussed both the progress being made in hybrid electric vehicles (HEVs) and the challenges that lie ahead. As usual, the most frequently discussed topic was battery technology and the outlook for breakthroughs. . . .

Hybrids Without Batteries

Independent engine development company, Scuderi Group has quite a different approach to hybrids. The company's Split-Cycle Engine, also called an air hybrid, divides the four strokes of the traditional Otto cycle (intake compression, power and exhaust) over a paired combination of one compression cylinder and one power cylinder. A compression cylinder compresses the gas, which is then transferred to the power cylinder through a gas passage. . . .

(excellent diagram of two-mode transmission)
Sounds like a great meeting.

BTW, this is the clearest photo of the two-stage transmission to date. What I thought might have been some sort of torque converter now appears to be springs normally used in a clutch plate to smooth the power pulses. Also, it looks like the two motors are symmetrical, back-to-back. Also, I see what looks to be three sets of planetary gears. The first and third sets are connected to the electric motors. The middle-set is one I haven't figured out, yet.

Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 04-11-2007 at 12:07 PM.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:05 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: SAE Symposium on Hybrids

Hybrid technology is certainly a hot subject, and a good place for tinkerers and mechanical/electrical genius types to dig in and serve society.

Harry

Old 04-11-2007, 12:29 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
The middle-set is one I haven't figured out, yet.

Bob Wilson
I imagine that middle set is to enable the choice of using one electric motor, or two, or to have one as traction and the other as a generator? I'm guessing, of course.

Harry

Old 04-11-2007, 12:43 PM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by Earthling
I imagine that middle set is to enable the choice of using one electric motor, or two, or to have one as traction and the other as a generator? I'm guessing, of course.
In the other thread I posted a system sketch and the middle 'planetary gears' are some sort of 'clutch' between the two. By using a "band" clutch to the ring gear, the planetary gear will work just like a clutch. With the band open, the ring gear rotates and no torque is passed on. Close the band, the ring gear stops and then the planetary gear passes torque.

Bob Wilson