Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Saturn VUE A Reality

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 12:06 PM
04 prius 350,000km
Default Saturn VUE A Reality

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/01/09/d...rn-vue-hybrid/

and you guys thought GM was going to trash the whole thing :p

Old 01-09-2006, 12:15 PM
Prof. of Hybridology
Default Re: Saturn VUE A Reality

I know, I'm shocked!

I saw it last night on the Auto Show coverage, and was amazed. Funny how all these companies that said that Hybrids were a small niche market are rolling out hybrid after hybrid...

Old 01-09-2006, 01:27 PM
04 prius 350,000km

because hybrids is where the money's at!

Old 01-09-2006, 02:47 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

--

Last edited by xcel; 12-02-2007 at 06:50 PM.
Old 01-09-2006, 04:17 PM

And let's not forget the Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade...a dinosaur, but GMs making a go at giving her decent #s (25 hwy). Ford ain't even considering the larger SUVs.

WE hope they are headed for near-extinction, but it will be a long death and they will never completely die- so they might as well be made better.

I do like and understand GMs approach- fix up the biggest resource suckers (and largest profit margins) first. If only they had done it 5 years ago. Sigh.

I forgot and can't find the thread now to re-learn- what is the platform mix philosophy between BAS and dual-mode/AFM? Passenger duty/cargo? Or is dual-mode the long term method while BAS is stopgap?

Old 01-09-2006, 04:45 PM
YA RLY.

Before the debut of the Vue Hybrid, the only reason to buy a Vue was the fact that for not much money you could get a Honda V6

Old 01-09-2006, 06:52 PM
G.H. Contributor
Lightbulb Re: Saturn VUE A Reality

Hi Everyone;

Well I can tell you that speaking for myself and the Dealer I work for and all the Saturn Employees we are all very excited and pleased that G/M has made this decision.

Reason; we all need our Jobs!!!!

Terry

One Exit from the Saturn Plant:

Old 01-09-2006, 08:23 PM
04 prius 350,000km

i hope they improve the body on this model for safety, because its didn't score well at all and its suppose to be big and strong!

edit:' never mind I was wrong about the crash ratings, 06 models scored 5 stay for everything..... interesting

Last edited by philmcneal; 01-13-2006 at 03:44 AM.
Old 01-10-2006, 06:31 AM

--

Last edited by xcel; 12-02-2007 at 06:48 PM.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:49 AM
Proud to be GM

Originally Posted by xcel
.....___Martin, if you are tuning in, the Greenline VUE’s grille is disproportionately small and looks like a mess. Very Suzuki like The Equinox looks far better …
Wayne, I'm still here. I'll be a bit sparce the next few weeks, since we have a couple of really nice parties in town (NAIAS, Super Bowl, etc). I don't think I'd be divulging any secrets by pointing out that the vehicle architecture the Saturn VUE is built on is shared with Suzuki. The Equinox and the Suzuki XL-7 are built at the same facility. Personally, I like the look of the new fascia MUCH better than the original VUE fascia. I've also always liked the Equinox better and currently own one. Well, at least it's driven by a family member.

And what is up with the 4-speed? You guys were selling ancient 3-speeds in Cavaliers when the Japanese were selling 4’s in Corolla’s and Civic’s in the distant past. You are doing the same with the 4-speed when everyone else is running 5 and 6 speeds today.
Part of the reason for the delay of the launch of the VUE Green Line was the need to change transmission content mid-stream. The original plan was to use a CVT, but the CVT we were looking at doesn't manage the output of the 2.4L very well. The original plan to use a 2.2L / CVT was seen as inadequate from an overall performance standpoint. The added mass of the batteries and other hybrid components stressed the 2.2L / CVT to the point where the 2.4L / 4T45E is a better balanced (perf & f/e) proposition.

Unlike most other auto manufacturers, GM designs and manufactures most of our own transmissions. As such, new transmission programs have to compete with new vehicle programs for funding, engineering resources, and timing. Given the choice of delaying a vehicle program or introducing a transmission a little later than planned, the vehicle usually wins. GM transmissions are known for being among the most efficient in the industry. Several automakers buy their transmissions from GM. The efficiency of GM transmission designs is part of the reason why a Chevy Impala with a 3.5L OHV / 4 spd (old tech?) gets 2 mpg better EPA rated hwy than a lighter Toyota Camry 3.3L DOHC / 5 speed. At the end of the day, it's not the number of gears that matters, it's the results. Now, granted that same Impala would likely get even better fuel economy with a 6 speed. Same would be true of the Green Line. Stay tuned

How is the driveline shock from gear to gear given the wide spreads when compared to your competitors?

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
I honestly couldn't tell ya. My transmission engineering days are waaaaay behind me.

Peace,

Martin

Quick Reply: Saturn VUE A Reality

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands