Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Seeking a hypermiler in SE Virginia

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 01:40 PM
Enthusiast
Default Seeking a hypermiler in SE Virginia

Hello,

I'm looking for a hypermiler in the Virginia Beach/Norfolk area of SE Virginia, or possibly Richmond, for a news feature I'm writing. I'm interested in a hypermiler with whom non-hypermiling me can compare performance over a local trajectory or commute, and anyone who might have a photogenic mileage calculation device attached to the car, and perhaps colorful or distinguishing external markings that designate the driver is a hypermiler.

Kindly contact me at terriljones@gmail.com, thanks very much!

-- Terril Jones
Former Detroit bureau chief
Forbes magazine 1998-2000
Los Angeles Times 2000-2003

Old 09-26-2007, 03:15 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Seeking a hypermiler in SE Virginia

i have a photogenic dash readout that shows all sorts of mpg info. nothing on the outside, except epa mpg numbers and racing stripes.

Old 09-26-2007, 04:36 PM
Active Enthusiast

Richmond area here. I recently did a piece with one of the local TV stations doing exactly what you seem to be describing. No flashy exterior identifiers -- not my style. I have a Can-View, a device for mileage calculation (among many other functions) that integrates with the factory multi-function display. You can be the judge of how photogenic it is.

If you're interested in sitting in, we're having a Prius meetup this Saturday. In attendance will be several high-MPG Prius drivers. You're welcome to come. Just let me know in advance.

What publication are you writing this for?

(I'd e-mail you as requested, but temporary computer issues are keeping me from e-mail at the moment.)

EDIT: E-mail sent.

Last edited by JimboK; 09-27-2007 at 05:51 AM.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:19 PM
Active Enthusiast
Location: Two miles N of the technology 'center-of-the-world' in 1903, on the Outer Banks of NC

Originally Posted by tyjones
Hello,

I'm looking for a hypermiler in the Virginia Beach/Norfolk area of SE Virginia, or possibly Richmond, for a news feature I'm writing. I'm interested in a hypermiler with whom non-hypermiling me can compare performance over a local trajectory or commute, and anyone who might have a photogenic mileage calculation device attached to the car, and perhaps colorful or distinguishing external markings that designate the driver is a hypermiler.

Kindly contact me at terriljones@gmail.com, thanks very much!

-- Terril Jones
Former Detroit bureau chief
Forbes magazine 1998-2000
Los Angeles Times 2000-2003
Terril,
In our area we have the one who may have the ongoing hypermiling record for this gen Prius. He posts here as 'VABeachPrius'. We also may have the person posting here, also from our area, who has the most miles on his Gen2 Prius. He posts as 'Carbot'. Currently he's at 166,000 miles in 45 months and still going strong.

Bob

Old 09-28-2007, 04:00 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kdhspyder
Terril,
In our area we have the one who may have the ongoing hypermiling record for this gen Prius. He posts here as 'VABeachPrius'.
Hi, Bob. I thought about him when I read Terril's post. He stays pretty busy with his job, occasionally on the road or even overseas for extended periods. He's been absent from all the forums for awhile, so I suspect he's out once again somewhere.

Terril, I agree with Bob. If you can wait until VABeachPrius surfaces, not knowing whether it's within hours or weeks, he'd be a great one to talk to, and in your backyard.