Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Suburban Sprawl & Excess example at its' best

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 10:06 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Suburban Sprawl & Excess example at its' best

Originally Posted by foo monkey
There's nothing wrong with a stretch Hummer. Nobody buys a stretch Hummer thinking, "This is a good way to commute to work and get my family around town." It's an extravagance. People rent them for special occasions.
Before stretch Hummers, people still had something to rent for special occasions. I don't see how a stretch Hummer is more efficiently or effectively serving the needs of the vehicle-renting limo-using public. Just my view, though, your mileage may vary.

Old 07-03-2006, 10:18 AM
Java Geek

.. but it's oh, so classy!
You can't have a proper NJ wedding w/o a stretch hummer

Old 07-03-2006, 12:12 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Delta Flyer
It was so funny when the guy said "Hello" twice (can you say guilt? )
Surely a Hummer owner would never say hello because he was trying to be friendly.

Old 07-03-2006, 02:29 PM
Banned

Chilly, it might help if you read the post, esp. when it was highlighted so people like you could not miss it. Again, the way he said "Hello" clearly was tense.

It was sort of funny when I got out of my car and this guy got out the H2 limo. Think about Phil Collins In the Air Tonight - there was tension in the air as we could not be more polar opposites

However, I think this quote is in context....

Originally Posted by Chilly
It's not that I hate or like this promotion. I just think it complete misses the boat and is another short term fix from GM. I am not saying they should stop making these vehicles. Far from it. I have zero issues with someone who choses to drive a Hummber or any other large SUV. People are free to spend their hard earned money however they choose fit. Thats what makes the world go round...

...so every thing legal is wise, moral, responsible, etc. I thought the point of hybrids is to avoid wasteful consumption, not promote it.

Got to run some errands - Happy 4th!

Old 07-03-2006, 03:34 PM

Chilly, it might help if you read the post, esp. when it was highlighted so people like you could not miss it. Again, the way he said "Hello" clearly was tense.
It was sort of funny when I got out of my car and this guy got out the H2 limo. Think about Phil Collins In the Air Tonight - there was tension in the air as we could not be more polar opposites

And yet he chose to say hello. I wonder who was really feeling the tension here. The person who went out of his way to be friendly and say hello, or the person who was to preoccupied with what the other person was driving, that it never crossed his mind to say a quick "how ya doin' today."

...so every thing legal is wise, moral, responsible, etc. I thought the point of hybrids is to avoid wasteful consumption, not promote it.

Got to run some errands - Happy 4th!
So does this mean the hummer and SUV owner are not moral and responsible? And therefore we should choose to treat them with distain and disrespect.

I thought the point of Hybrids was to improve gas mileage and emmisions without sacrificing performance. Not to polarize society by my making hybrid owners falsely think they are superior to non-hybrid owners.

Old 07-03-2006, 04:13 PM
Hybrid True Believer

Originally Posted by Chilly
And yet he chose to say hello. I wonder who was really feeling the tension here. The person who went out of his way to be friendly and say hello, or the person who was to preoccupied with what the other person was driving, that it never crossed his mind to say a quick "how ya doin' today."

So does this mean the hummer and SUV owner are not moral and responsible? And therefore we should choose to treat them with distain and disrespect.

I thought the point of Hybrids was to improve gas mileage and emmisions without sacrificing performance. Not to polarize society by my making hybrid owners falsely think they are superior to non-hybrid owners.

{begin vent}
Actually, the problem I see is that most SUV drivers fail to treat OTHER drivers with respect -- especially Hummer drivers. Every day, I see them speed (50 MPH in residential areas), take up two or three parking spaces then they park, tailgate, blast their horns when people drive too slowly for them, and generally act like *******s. SUV owners didn't get the bad reputation they have because they waste gasoline. They got their bad reps because they drive like jerks -- and they ENJOY driving like jerks.
[end vent}

Old 07-03-2006, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by AshenGrey
{begin vent}
Actually, the problem I see is that most DRIVERS fail to treat OTHER drivers with respect
[end vent}
Fixed it for ya.

I see drivers of all types of vehicles drive aggressive and with disrespect every day. This isn't just an SUV problem.

The next time you are driving home, count how many cars you see cut off another driver and count how many cars you see who are failing to leave enough room between them and the car infront of them so that someone can merge. Then note how many are 4 door passenger vehicles vs SUV's. I bet you might just be surprised by the results.

Old 07-03-2006, 04:41 PM
Go Army!

...so every thing legal is wise, moral, responsible, etc.
Methinks you inferred something that Chilly did not mean to imply.

To put it another way (i.e. in my words) -- just because someone says they have no problem with a certain behavior does not mean that they think that behavior is wise, moral, or responsible.

For example, my wife likes mushrooms. I do not. I have no problem with her liking mushrooms. I most certainly do not think it is wise of her to like them.

Old 07-03-2006, 04:56 PM
Engineering first

I think the local zoning commission should take the developer at his word and tailor the speed-islands and access roads for the Hummers. Make the speed-islands exactly wide enough so the Hummers can pass along with the emergency vehicles. I believe the Hummers have a wider than normal track.

Make sure the roads are maintained so if a sprinkle from the sky occurs, 4-wd is needed. The Alabama paving companies can provide the special slip-n-slide formula.

Make sure the storm curbs are deep enough that only the large, oversided Hummer tires work well and everyone else gets bounced to heck and by gosh.

In short, make this development a Hummer ghetto. This will help to keep them out of other neighborhoods.

Hummmm, can the zoning laws require a "large SUV" as a condition of ownership? Might as well get the other land yachets too.

Bob Wilson

Old 07-03-2006, 05:32 PM

Where's the mods?, this one's getting ugly.

Let's all stereotype against SUV drivers, the only bad drivers on the road.

Quick Reply: Suburban Sprawl & Excess example at its' best

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands