Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Suburban Sprawl & Excess example at its' best

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 07:10 PM
Banned
Default Now Who Has the Polarized POV?

Originally Posted by Chilly
And yet he chose to say hello. I wonder who was really feeling the tension here. The person who went out of his way to be friendly and say hello, or the person who was to preoccupied with what the other person was driving, that it never crossed his mind to say a quick "how ya doin' today."

So does this mean the hummer and SUV owner are not moral and responsible? And therefore we should choose to treat them with distain and disrespect.

I thought the point of Hybrids was to improve gas mileage and emmisions without sacrificing performance. Not to polarize society by my making hybrid owners falsely think they are superior to non-hybrid owners.
I could have had this videotaped and Chilly would somehow find some dishonorable motive with me and the H2 guy could do no wrong - misrepresent at all costs. Not everybody at a scenic stop gets chatty. Apparently he just wanted to streach a couple of minutes and relieve himself. Have no idea beyond that other than he was a bit nervous when he said hello. I'd done nothing up to that point. Some of you are taking statments intended for Chilly as general statements, who almost acts like he sells Hummers.

It might help to not play like partisan politicans and twist words. Sure, I said that "what's legal is not necessarily moral, wise, etc...." that was a general statement that goes well beyond this topic. I will say almost anything a jumbo SUV is typically used for, other vehicles can do it more efficiently.

If you have read in the news, Gov Schwartzenegger is campaigning for relelection in a green bus and making sure Californians know that. He has put all his Hummers away, because a good politician like himself knows that many more people (read: mainstream) besides myself consider that vehicle an icon of waste. Chilly or anyone else wishes to advise the Govenorator being seen with a Hummer is a wholesome political image, be my guest. By the way, the Govenor was impressed seeing An Inconvientent Truth. Hopefully he will be like Alfred Nobel, who set up a Peace Prize to say he did not like dynamite used as a weapon. The H1 was illegal on the road until Schwartzenegger badgered "why not?" - hope this is a sincere U-turn.

A 20-mpg vehicle is a 20-mpg vehicle regardless of the powerplant - making it a hybrid does not redeem it. Stuff like a hybrid Durango is sort of like when I was 50 pounds overweight drinking Diet Coke to feel guiltless and avoiding a lifestyle change. Waistlines have increased in the 20 years of NutraSweet products, BTW.

Driving is not as drastic a lifestyle change as diet and exercise, and yet pointing out there is little real utility in an H2 and the like is supposed to make me smug and self-rightous. Sounds like projection from the people that love the H2, etc...

Too bad Chilly could not meet me at Hybridfest in a couple of weeks - he might be shocked I don't fit his description of me.

P.S. I have recognized bad drivers of all types like in the thread PR: 98.9mpg and Fast & Furious Stunt Reject (an Acura or Civic driver most likely). To the SUV apologists: be intellectually honest and tell the whole truth, not just distort a post by quoting what seems to support your POV. That blind eye on quotes does not help your credibility.

Think that's all I have to say....

Last edited by Delta Flyer; 07-03-2006 at 07:50 PM.
Old 07-03-2006, 07:55 PM
Diesel driver
Default Re: Suburban Sprawl & Excess example at its' best

I think people who live too far away from work are evil, no matter what they drive. Just kidding?

But seriously, is a Hummer driver who lives 5 miles from work any less moral than a hybrid or smart car owner who lives 75 miles from work? Or is she of superior morality, automotively speaking?

Automotive profiling is no better than other types of profiling.

Would I ever own a Hummer? No. The largest car I've ever owned is a Peugeot 405, which makes a Camry look like a boat.

Old 07-03-2006, 08:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MikeT
....But seriously, is a Hummer driver who lives 5 miles from work any less moral than a hybrid or smart car owner who lives 75 miles from work? Or is she of superior morality, automotively speaking?...
The long commute is not exactly a strong argument - affordable housing is farther and farther from urban areas and a lot less discretionary than vehicle choice.

In most other aspects of life, choosing something that is about five times more wasteful would be considered horrible business - unless it's a status symbol.

Old 07-03-2006, 09:34 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Delta Flyer
It was sort of funny when I got out of my car and this guy got out the H2 limo. Think about Phil Collins In the Air Tonight - there was tension in the air as we could not be more polar opposites
I doubt the guy in the hummer was pondering how the guy in the little car was his polar opposite.

It was so funny when the guy said "Hello" twice (can you say guilt? )
I think he gave you the benefit of the doubt by repeating himself. After the second time, he realized that you were just rude.

You will not accomplish anything by carrying such a chip on your shoulder.

Then again, maybe the guy in the stretch hummer was thinking: "if only I took some Enzyte, I would not need to drive such a big vehicle."

Old 07-03-2006, 09:43 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Seems there is a growing "concensus" that Delta Flyer totally mis-read his close encounter with his hated enemy.

Old 07-03-2006, 10:57 PM

I can't really comment about the moment cuz I wasn't there. I'll give Chuck the benefit of the doubt.
Many poeple resent the Hummer very fiercely for their own reasons whether valid or not. I would assume the Hummer drivers would also rather just be left alone.
Who knows perhaps the Prius just represented the negative stereotype portrayed about his vehicle, creating a chip on the H2's shoulder?

Either way it was an uneasy, unfortunate moment.

Old 07-03-2006, 11:31 PM
Default Re: Now Who Has the Polarized POV?

I could have had this videotaped and Chilly would somehow find some dishonorable motive with me and the H2 guy could do no wrong - misrepresent at all costs.
Got me there. You were absolutely in the right to ignore someone saying hello to you (twice), simply because they drove a Hummer. Yep the H2 driver was clearly in the wrong. What was he ever thinking.

What did I misrepresent? The fact that a H2 driver said hello to you twice? I simply offered an alternative explanation that he may have said hello to be friendly, not because he was feeling guilty as you implied.

A 20-mpg vehicle is a 20-mpg vehicle regardless of the powerplant - making it a hybrid does not redeem it.
Since when does a vehicle need redemption? I guess the fact that the 20-mpg hybrid has lower emmissions over the 20-mpg non-hybrid means nothing.

To the SUV apologists: be intellectually honest and tell the whole truth, not just distort a post by quoting what seems to support your POV. That blind eye on quotes does not help your credibility.
It's become rather comical how any thread where I chose to express an alternative point of view than you, ends up with some long winded slam from you in reply. Did my simple statement that the H2 driver may have just been trying to be friendly cut that deep? Did I really distort your post with a blind eye. Let's go back and take a look at your post

It was so funny when the guy said "Hello" twice (can you say guilt? )
Please help me to understand just what you meant by this. Because to me it clearly implies that you are saying the Hummer owner only said hello to you because he was feeling guilty for the fact that he was driving a Hummer.

Nice to know that I can be "labeled" so easily in your world simply because I pointed out an alternative point of view.

Last edited by Chilly; 07-03-2006 at 11:47 PM.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by MikeT
Automotive profiling is no better than other types of profiling.
Thank you!!!

Old 07-04-2006, 07:53 AM

One more question:

How do we know the driver was also the owner of the hummer? Could he have just been a limo driver? I would think that it is more likely that the guy is just an employee of the limo company--but then again, I wasn't there to ask.

Old 07-04-2006, 07:58 AM

You don't flip off Hummer drivers, do you, Delta Flyer? ... or allow your passengers to do so, when you're driving? (ANSWER: No, he apparently doesn't.)

The reason I ask is that H2 Hummer limo photo you posted looks for all the world like someone in the passenger seat is flipping the bird to the Hummer, a la the fuh2 website.

If that's the case, flipping off Hummers as a matter of course is liable to make all drivers more uneasy around you and your vehicle.

Last edited by GeekGal; 07-04-2006 at 08:51 AM. Reason: followup

Quick Reply: Suburban Sprawl & Excess example at its' best

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands