Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Systems view of two-mode hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 12:44 AM
Engineering first
Wink Systems view of two-mode hybrid

http://www.isa.org/InTechTemplate.cf...ontentID=61619

. . . once you settle into a fairly steady speed, four of the eight cylinders will shut down. A large SUV only needs about 30 horsepower to maintain its way at steady speeds, said Tim Grewe, chief engineer for the two-mode hybrid system.
The hybrid system acts to expand the envelope within which the SUV can operate in four-cylinder mode, thus improving highway fuel economy.
. . .
This is a nice systems description of the two-mode hybrid. Without delving into a question of parts count and reliability, this is a reasonable architecture.

Bob Wilson

Old 05-13-2007, 09:12 AM
Proud to be GM
Default Re: Systems view of two-mode hybrid

Here's a local Detroit TV news snippet on the 2-Mode sytem.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/video/13300603/index.html

Peace,

Martin

fwiw - Baseball fans might be interested in knowing that the anchorman is Steve Garagiola, son of former major leaguer Joe Garagiola

Old 05-20-2007, 03:07 PM
Engineering Professor

Originally Posted by martinjlm
Here's a local Detroit TV news snippet on the 2-Mode sytem.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/video/13300603/index.html

Peace,

Martin

fwiw - Baseball fans might be interested in knowing that the anchorman is Steve Garagiola, son of former major leaguer Joe Garagiola
But where is an AWD hybrid with good MPG? (I won't ever buy another Ford, so don't point at the Escape or Mariner) The ones from GM are all FWD. The non-hybrids have AWD, why not the Hybrids?

I'll wait for a Subaru hybrid or a Toyota Rav4 (if they go for MPG - not performance). Hey Toyota, how about adding AWD to the Prius as an option like you do in the Highlander and Lexus?

JeffD

Old 05-21-2007, 07:22 AM
Proud to be GM

Originally Posted by jdenenberg
But where is an AWD hybrid with good MPG? (I won't ever buy another Ford, so don't point at the Escape or Mariner) The ones from GM are all FWD. The non-hybrids have AWD, why not the Hybrids?

I'll wait for a Subaru hybrid or a Toyota Rav4 (if they go for MPG - not performance). Hey Toyota, how about adding AWD to the Prius as an option like you do in the Highlander and Lexus?

JeffD
Go back and take another look at the clip. The hybrid being tested is a Chevrolet Tahoe, which is available as RWD (not FWD) and AWD.

Peace,

Martin