Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

'Today' show - Vacation FE Comparison Segment

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 05:55 AM
Chuckokie
Smile NBC Today Show - Hybrid Vrs Midsize And SUV

This week the NBC Today show has 3 families traveling across the US.
One is in a Civic Hybrid, one in a Ford 500, and one in a large Ford SUV.
They are comparing gas prices, vehicle mileage, comfort, convience Etc
Here is the link. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7843741/
Enjoy! Chuckokie

Old 05-16-2005, 07:47 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: NBC Today Show - Hybrid Vrs Midsize And SUV

Great post !! You earned some reputation points with that one !! Thanks !!

Old 05-16-2005, 10:32 AM
Rarely post anything
Default 'Today' show - Vacation FE Comparison Segment

Saw that NBC's 'Today' show was starting a week-long segment on gas prices, fuel economy, etc. (At least) one of the segments was going to focus on 3 families on a cross-country driving trip from CA <> NY. All 3 had the same total cash on hand - so the more they spent on gas, the less they had for other necessities (like, food, shelter, etc).

Family 1 was given a Lincoln Navigator
Mom (?): "We know we're going to use more gas than some of the others, but we think the increased comfort is worth it" (hope they enjoy sleeping in it

Family 2 was given a Ford Five Hundred sedan
I didn't hear a quote here, but I dunno if I want to travel cross country in a conventional ICE with no known reliability record, in a car's first year of release (anyone know what platform this midsized car is based on ?)

Family 3 was given... a Honda Civic Hybrid
(gee, I wonder who's going to get the best mileage ?

Cut to Matt Laurer (sp?), who says... "We'll check in with all three in Colorado, after about 1700 miles. You'll be amazed at the difference in gas mileage between the three vehicles".

I couldn't stay to see today's segment - but I did hit the 'record' button on my DVR. Once I get home, I'll watch and see what they have to say.

Would anyone be interested in a vidcap of the segments ? I'd have to capture to VHS, and figure out to either send the VHS to the admins, or, to do the conversion here, and send them the DVD. They could then host the video (I figure about 3-5min a segment; probably a couple hundred MB each).

Last edited by GreenAndBlue; 05-16-2005 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Changed wording in description of Ford Five Hundred
Old 05-16-2005, 11:01 AM
Banned
Default Re: 'Today' show - Vacation FE Comparison Segment

I'm glad hybrids are getting some favorable press.

Old 05-16-2005, 12:48 PM
Site Founder

lol since when is the Honda Civic Hybrid rated at 40 MPG? Interesting "competition," anyway.

Old 05-16-2005, 12:53 PM
Enthusiast

But it is carrying a family and luggage so actually I think it is good that they are getting 40mpg. And obviously they aren't driving that fast which is good so their mileage is at least staying at 40mpg or higher.

Old 05-16-2005, 01:31 PM
Banned

I have contended that 20 years ago, a lot more families traveled in a Civic or vehicle a just a little larger. That was not so bad?

Old 05-16-2005, 02:30 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

It is ironic, or maybe unfortunate, that this exercise is going to be comparing the HCH at it's worst, and the other cars at their best.

Driving 70-75 mph on the interstates across america with a car full of family is going to make the MPG of the HCH suffer quite a bit, with negligible effect on the large SUV.

And as for comfort, even I would find the bigger vehicle more comfortable.

The test itself is absolutely valid, and I'm glad they are doing this. But I would *much* prefer that they take those same cars, and run a test where the owner fo the car commutes to work, five days a week, for a month or two. And then compare the mileage, comfort, and satisfaction with the car. I think the results would be somewhat different.

Old 05-16-2005, 02:48 PM
Active Enthusiast

I just watched the video on the web site linked in the first message. It shows a interview with the families and is well worth the watch.

Billy

Old 05-16-2005, 04:09 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi All:

___The 500 will not match the HCH in the FE department but the large Ford’s I have driven out on the highway have done rather well in fact. The 500 w/ the 6-speed Auto is near the top of the FE heap for the class/size it is in and I wouldn’t doubt if these people hit 30 + with one at a small amount over the limit if it was broken in. To bad they didn’t also include the new Avalon.

___The HCH? It is really going to depend on the driver(s) … It might give them 45 - 50 mpg or it might give them a < 40 mpg. Completely loaded up, 15 + over the limits, and MAX A/C will probably knock it back into the mid to high 30’s. This could be quite interesting.

___Chuckokie36, thanks for the heads up. I am looking forward to the outcome …

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Quick Reply: 'Today' show - Vacation FE Comparison Segment

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands