Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

'Today' show - Vacation FE Comparison Segment

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 06:49 PM
Rarely post anything
Default Re: 'Today' show - Vacation FE Comparison Segment

Just watched today's televised segment (for the record, my first post was originally a separate thread; had I known a separate thread already existed, I wouldn't have gone into the detail that I did with mine, or worded it like I never read the first post). Segment was from LA to Denver (actually 2 combined, with a stop at the Grand Canyon in between).

The 500 family (sorry, but I'm not writing the words "Five Hundred" over and over ) said: "This is a really roomy car, and we're impressed with the mileage." So was I, to read on the website that they were getting 27mpg. Maybe 30 might not be out of the question, after all. I'll *never* accede to the styling of that car, however. I hear Ford's already got the design team working on revisions...LOL

The HCH family said: "Good room. More comfortable than we expected" (& Mom / Dad aren't small people). "No problem with keeping up w/ traffic at all, doing at least the speed limit" (Katie asked if the car was a slug, and if it handled well, while Matt seemed positive about the mileage / savings). "We're planning on getting one of these when we get back home" 40mpg for them so far (and all three families took 4-5 hours to get out of LA area in massive stop/go , so I'm expecting improvements all around). The family gave some background on themselves that would put them in the 'hybrid' mindset (ie; 'not using resources excessively', etc), but it was encouraging that they said they were planning on buying one - after three days with the car. Maybe it's not going to be such a bad time for the little Honda, after all

The Navigator family: "Every time we stop and fill up, it's $60-$80, and we have to stop for gas a LOT more than the others" But they enjoyed the comfort and said they didn't regret having the SUV at all. (Wonder how they'd feel owning it full time in Cali ?) MPG so far: 15mpg (per the website)

Total for gas so far (approx):
Navigator : $195.00
500: $115.00
HCH: $60.00

Tomorrow: Denver to Kansas City, MO