Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Tour De Sol Summary

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 09:12 AM
Engineering first
Thumbs up Re: Tour De Sol Summary

Originally Posted by krousdb
According to one of the judges, the intent behind the 2006 course was to show off the scenery in the area, and no consideration was given to how different hybrids would perform. I think now they realize the mistake.

The event coordinators have asked us (Wayne and myself), Hobbit and others to join them in a conference call in a few weeks to discuss opportunities for improvement of the 2007 TDS. I can personally guarantee that this issue will be addressed. Hobbit had a great idea where there would be several routes to choose from. Each optimized to different hybrids. If the logistics could be worked out, I see that as a good solution.

At least the coordinators are reaching out for our input. IMO they would like to make this an all inclusive event for next year.
I'd like to suggest something that would appeal to me . . . user papers or presentation. What I'd like to suggest is some sort of semi-formal papers or presentation. This would fit in the model of the old DECUS papers and may or may not be peer reviewed.

Hobbit no doubt did a great job and so too did Richard. There will always be a need for informal talks, workshops and presentations. By all means, let anyone who wants to put up a tent be there provided they are bringing content. But the type of semi-formal papers I'm thinking about would be a great way to get not only individuals but also 'science fair' oriented students to take a look at and advance hybrid technology. Heck, if they could find an old GE or Corning engineer to head that up, it would be great (or an academic.)

One last suggestion would be if it could be at a mid-Atlantic location, it would be a lot easier to draw folks from larger areas. Right now, it is 1,000 miles, a two day trip, to get there and 1,000 miles back. The only way I'll be able to swing it is if I drop my wife off with her son in New York during the conference (or have him come pick her up.) But DC is a 'day trip' for a lot of hybrid owners. This may have to wait until one of the 'professional' trade-show companies notices the crowds.

GOOD LUCK!
Bob Wilson

Old 05-16-2006, 01:58 PM
Default Re: Tour De Sol Summary

It is funny they designed the course to show off the scenery. I expect all that most of the contestants were looking at was the FCD. There could have been Yetti and bigfoot on the side of the road and I'm sure they wouldn't even be noticed.