Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Toyota EU -- stands up!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 04:41 PM
Engineering first
Talking Toyota EU -- stands up!

http://test.nepsecure.co.uk/ADMIN/Pr...d=&storyid=850

"Toyota leaps to defence of Prius
Carmaker Toyota has been quick to respond to critical remarks about its Prius hybrid model in the latest edition of What Car? magazine.

Toyota goes so far as to say "What Car? has a feature which is extraordinarily misleading. It claims to be an investigation into why car drivers might fail to achieve the official fuel consumption figures quoted by manufacturers.

"The simple and obvious truth is that everyone drives differently over different types of road. No two people will get exactly the same results, let alone everyone match the official figures.

"But according to What Car? it is a £192 million rip-off, intimating that car makers are deliberately misleading car buyers. . . ."

Way to GO!

If we could just get one of our testicular enhance bicycle champions to become the Toyota America spokesman!

Bob Wilson

Old 08-18-2006, 06:28 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Toyota EU -- stands up!

Funny thing is, the TCH is the ONLY car I've ever driven that actually reached the stated milage. Now I know it's not a European Prius, but still...

Old 08-18-2006, 07:31 PM
Hybrid True Believer

That's pretty typical hybrid-hate. I can make my mileage vary from 36 MPG to 51 MPG just by varying my choice of roads and driving style. There's more variation in hybrid FE just because it's got a more complicated power/drive system. I wonder why the intellectually lazy hybrid-hate crowd just can't figure that out?

Yeah... As if Toyota would perpetrate a global car fraud. The Prius is profitable (sorta), but it's not THAT profitable!

Old 08-19-2006, 03:19 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AshenGrey
I can make my mileage vary from 36 MPG to 51 MPG
Exactly, more people need to realise this.

Old 08-22-2006, 08:19 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AshenGrey
I can make my mileage vary from 36 MPG to 51 MPG just by varying my choice of roads and driving style.
This in no small part contributes to the reputation of a hybrid. I average high 30s in my Camry. If my wife were to drive it slowly she'd be lucky to hit the low 30s. That's because she refuses to drive it any differently.

A hybrid's powertrain allows drivers to eke extra miles out of a gallon of gas. However, if you're not willing to relearn the way you drive (and most people probably are not) then I can understand how people would be disappointed.