Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Toyota Introduces 2008 Highlander and Highlander Hybrid

Old 02-12-2007, 04:19 AM
Engineering first
Wink Toyota Introduces 2008 Highlander and Highlander Hybrid

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2007..._introduc.html

Originally Posted by Green_Car_Congress
. . .
The Highlander rides on an all-new chassis derived from the current Camry and Avalon. It is nearly four inches longer and three inches wider, with an inch more ground clearance and three inches of additional wheelbase.
. . .
The "all-new chassis" is what caught my eye after visiting the Georgetown KY plant that makes Camry and Avalon. I've had the impression that the Highlander was a bit pricey. One way to reduce price is to improve commonality of parts. But this flows both ways:

Originally Posted by Green_Car_Congress
. . .
The hybrid retains a 3.3-liter V6 and uses an upgraded Hybrid Synergy Drive that slightly increases the vehicle’s total output to 270 net horsepower (up from 268 hp in the 2007 model) and maintains the hybrid’s fuel economy at 31 city and 27 highway despite the extra 500 pounds of vehicle weight in the 2008 model.
. . .
What this means is a 'sport' version of the Camry Solara might show up too. In effect the Highlander body becomes the 'wagon' version of the Camry. Not a bad approach.

Bob Wilson