Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Toyota's New Expensive Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 09:32 AM
Prof. of Hybridology
Default Toyota's New Expensive Hybrid

A blurb from the Detroit Free Press, http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...SS07/603010356 (Second blurb)

Most expensive hybrid

Toyota Motor Corp., the world's biggest seller of gasoline-electric autos, will make its Lexus GS 450h sports car the most expensive hybrid in the United States, with a starting price of $54,900.

That's $2,830 more than the GS 430 sedan with a 4.3-liter gasoline V8 engine, Lexus spokesman Bill Ussery said Tuesday. The hybrid sports car, set to begin sales in May as a 2007 model, can cost more than $60,000 with a navigation system and high-priced audio system, he said.

The GS 450h is built to outperform the comparable gasoline-only model, with acceleration from 0 to 60 m.p.h. in 5.2 seconds, 0.5 second faster than the GS 430, Ussery said.
Sounds fun, but less fuel efficient.

Old 03-02-2006, 10:10 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Toyota's New Expensive Hybrid

Are you guys noticing a trend?

Even your favorite hybrid company is focusing on marketing hybrid technology as a PERFORMNCE OPTION rather than a means to increase fuel economy.

Old 03-02-2006, 10:13 AM
Banned

Granted, this drinks more than a Prius, but as far as "trophy vehicles" go, it's fuel efficient.

Old 03-02-2006, 10:15 AM
Enthusiast

So then the next move is a hybrid Hummer?

Old 03-02-2006, 10:50 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by cleverlever
So then the next move is a hybrid Hummer?
Just so some don't feel guilty, someone will probably make a hybrid CXT...

Old 03-02-2006, 02:02 PM
04 prius 350,000km

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2006..._announce.html little details, which I thought the best feature was: (almost as clean as a prius!)
ia a center console-mounted switch, the new transmission offers a choice of three power settings:

Normal, for the optimum balance of power and traction;

Power, for maximum acceleration; and

Snow, for excellent traction control under the most slippery road conditions.
sounds like you can drift in green!

Old 03-02-2006, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by cleverlever
Are you guys noticing a trend?

Even your favorite hybrid company is focusing on marketing hybrid technology as a PERFORMNCE OPTION rather than a means to increase fuel economy.
Um, hybrid engines are simply more efficient than gas engines. That efficiency can be used for increasing fuel economy or for increasing power. In this case, both. The smooth silence of EV mode is quite fitting for a luxury car, and at higher speeds the 450h enjoys very fast acceleration. What's the problem? I think the hybrid drive is quite a good fit for the car, and the hybrid 'premium' is not an issue with it.

Old 03-02-2006, 05:12 PM
Enthusiast

Let me present this from a different perspective. Do you think the megabuck high performance hybrids should be entitled to taxpayer subsidy?

Old 03-02-2006, 05:35 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Gloom & Doom, gloom & doom,

LOL I think its cool, if you have someone that will buy a "Maybak" 100k sedan why not let them buy a toyota sports car thats a 60k Hybrid? Some people seem to only want high dollar cars, Im guessing they think it makes them more prestigouse.. They'll be running green!

I know a guy who's wife wanted a mercedes, could they afford it? Yes but he was happy with the mountaineer..... So she got the mercedes and traded in the mountaineer....

Last edited by PriusGuy04; 03-02-2006 at 05:38 PM.
Old 03-02-2006, 06:13 PM
Active Enthusiast

I don't get it.....if it is performance oriented, it'll probably get 5 MPG better than its' non-hybrid counterpart.

It must be fashionable to be green!

Quick Reply: Toyota's New Expensive Hybrid

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands