Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Ultra Battery -- excellent!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 02:23 PM
Engineering first
Default Ultra Battery -- excellent!

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0118093341.htm

UltraBattery Sets New Standard For Hybrid Electric Vehicles

ScienceDaily (Jan. 18, 2008) — The odometer of a low emission hybrid electric test vehicle today reached 100,000 miles as the car circled a track in the UK using the power of an advanced CSIRO battery system. The UltraBattery combines a supercapacitor and a lead acid battery in a single unit, creating a hybrid car battery that lasts longer, costs less and is more powerful than current technologies used in hybrid electric vehicles (HEVs). . . .
This is the way to go! Sad to say, they didn't report the Ahr equivalent of the "UltraBattery."

Bob Wilson

Old 01-18-2008, 09:51 PM
Energy Independence
Default Re: Ultra Battery -- excellent!

100k miles in 12 months of testing is a good sign. Still, it's not like 100k miles in 50 months or 100 months. But a very good sign.
Why do you think they went with lead-acid batteries? Cheapest? / Best? / Sponsored?

Using a capacitor seems like such a logical choice. If I were designing a HEV system, I think I would've certainly started with that as a concept. Is there something inherently "missing" in these studies? I mean, if I think it's obvious, how could it NOT have been part of Toyota's, Honda's, Ford's, and GM's early concepts? Don't you think they ran through this option? It (the capacitor) can collect more energy than you'd want to shove into the hybrid battery all-at-once, yet trickle it in (or out) as necessary. The buffer-zone. This concept is used all the time in many areas (air bags, temporary storage or memory[programming], water heaters, warehousing in general). I just wonder why it's not a big player in our current hybrids.

Old 01-19-2008, 01:53 AM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by gumby
100k miles in 12 months of testing is a good sign. Still, it's not like 100k miles in 50 months or 100 months. But a very good sign.
Why do you think they went with lead-acid batteries? Cheapest? / Best? / Sponsored?
Low risk and price. We have a lot of experience with deep discharge, lead acid batteries.

Using a capacitor seems like such a logical choice. If I were designing a HEV system, I think I would've certainly started with that as a concept. Is there something inherently "missing" in these studies?
I've been following ultra capacitors but their prices were pretty high and availability limited. I think the Chinese are making them, a strategic risk to our national security.

I mean, if I think it's obvious, how could it NOT have been part of Toyota's, Honda's, Ford's, and GM's early concepts? Don't you think they ran through this option? It (the capacitor) can collect more energy than you'd want to shove into the hybrid battery all-at-once, yet trickle it in (or out) as necessary. The buffer-zone. This concept is used all the time in many areas (air bags, temporary storage or memory[programming], water heaters, warehousing in general). I just wonder why it's not a big player in our current hybrids.
What I want to see is an ultra capacitor battery pack that uses air-metal cells for primary energy. But this is another story.

Bob Wilson

Old 01-28-2008, 10:30 AM
Active Enthusiast

Capacitors are some of the weakest electronic componates made. In circuits these are the guys that burn out first and then take out the other parts after them. I would think that this would be shorter lived and costly to maintain/replace. Time will tell.

If it is coming from China it will be cheap and have serious quality issues. The Chinese only care about price all other items are a constantly moving target.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:32 PM
Energy Independence

That IS a good point, Allen (weak component).

Old 01-29-2008, 03:33 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
This is the way to go! Sad to say, they didn't report the Ahr equivalent of the "UltraBattery."

It's just a lead-acid with supercaps around it. Nothing special and capacity only 1/2 as much as the NiMH.

Last edited by rrrrrroger; 01-30-2008 at 04:41 AM.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:25 PM
Omnia Gloria Fugit

Nothing special and capacity only 1/4 as much as the NiMH.
Yes but most hybrid dont use the ful capacity of their Ni-mh batteries anyway. My FEH uses between 40% and 60% state of charge.

Old 01-30-2008, 04:41 AM
Active Enthusiast

Good point. My insight uses 40-80%, so only about half the NiMH capacity. About equal to the lead-acid's total.