Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Walmart to make hybrid cars?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 02:42 PM
Enthusiast
Default Walmart to make hybrid cars?

blog post. does that count as media? anyway, thought it was interesting.

"Does anyone want to take a bet that Walmart can manufacture and market an inexpensive electric car faster than GM can get the Volt ready for mass production? Didn't think so."

http://vlane.com/blogs_article/116/h...ow-performance

Old 07-09-2008, 02:47 PM
Engineering first
Default Re: Walmart to make hybrid cars?

China makes hybrid cars???

Bob Wilson

How to pronounce Walmart in Chinese, "Pli-Eant CRosinn" (say it out loud.)

Last edited by bwilson4web; 07-09-2008 at 02:50 PM.
Old 07-09-2008, 02:52 PM
Enthusiast

I don't think they have them on the market yet, but it would make sense. The market is growing fast and they have no more control over oil supply than the U.S. I've read that they are leaders in developing energy from wind..

Old 07-09-2008, 04:11 PM
Active Enthusiast

Wal-Mart already makes and sells their own gas (Muprhy Oil). How good could one of their hybrid cars be? I hope they don't get them from China. I've read hundreds of comments on Ebay from people that have bought Chinese ATV's and they break on the first day with no warranty or refunds. If they make cars like they make ATV's I would steer clear.

Old 07-09-2008, 04:48 PM
Old Boomer Techie

My brother bought a Chinese tractor kit and assembled it himself out of the box...

...the drive axle lasted 11 hours before it broke in two places. He couldn't get another one to replace it.....still trying.

Old 07-09-2008, 05:03 PM
Active Enthusiast

Tractor in a box? That's a new one on me. I did buy an ATV trailer in a box from Northern Tools that I had to put together. But a tractor? No way. China is 40 years behind Japan is quality and tech. So is Korea. Remember Daewoo? The ATV's I saw were put together cheaply and sold just as cheaply to make a quick buck. Ever drive by a used car dealer and see about a dozen ATV's sitting out front with little flags on them? Those are Chinese junk. There are 1000's on Ebay. I see them all over. I drive over the road. You don't see them at a real ATV or motorcycle dealership. It's usually a pawn shop, flea market, or used car sales. Or Sometimes just in someones yard. They also make street bikes, dirt bikes, dune buggy's, side by side ATV's and go carts. Steer clear. They are cheap, about $500-$2000. $2000 might seem like alot but I paid $10,000 for a Polaris side by side.

Old 07-09-2008, 05:48 PM
Active Enthusiast

Wal Mart doesn't make anything but MONEY. They do throw their name on a bunch of product, but they neither have a factory or manage a factory. They do impose their control on factories and helped to drive the wages down so factory workers had to get second jobs and in many cases, forced the manufacture to move production to low wage nations.

Wal Mart is, Plain and Simple...a distribution center.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:40 AM
Old Boomer Techie

Originally Posted by Brawn
Tractor in a box? That's a new one on me. ....
[

Last edited by bwilson4web; 07-10-2008 at 12:37 PM.
Old 07-10-2008, 01:19 PM
Active Enthusiast

That's exactly how their ATV's arrive. I just watched a movie called "Lars and the Real Girl" it had a similar crate in it.

Old 07-10-2008, 01:31 PM
Hybrid Evangelist
Default Murphy Oil & Walmart

Just for the record, Murphy Oil is not owned by Walmart. The have a marketing agreement to place their gas stations in the Walmart parking areas, but they also have many other retail outlets around the world that have nothing to do with Walmart. This is kind of like everybody thinking that Walmart owns Lowes, which is also not true.

Quick Reply: Walmart to make hybrid cars?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands