Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

What Really Happens When . . . Battery Dies

Old 03-21-2006, 03:12 PM
Engineering first
Cool What Really Happens When . . . Battery Dies

Saturday | 18 March 2006
Last night, my Honda Insight died.

. . . I was forced to leave the 2000 model year gasoline-electric hybrid just a few hundred yards short of its goal .

. . . this story really begins last Summer when I noticed that the battery pack, which supplies electric assist to the tiny 3-cylinder engine, would deplete too rapidly, though it would gradually recover as I drove the car. Through the Fall and into Winter -- at least according to the instrument display -- there was less and less energy available from the pack, which seldom reached over half the "bars" used to indicate the nickel metal hydride battery pack's state of charge. However, fuel economy didn't appear to suffer unduly, so I dismissed it, though in the back of my mind I began wondering about the pack's "health".
. . .
From EVWORLDblogs, I found this article to share. The world doesn't end when a hybrid battery pack expires any more or less than a blown engine or transmission. It is just another 'bump' in life; deal with it and move on.

Bob Wilson