Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Who Killed the Electric Car?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 01:37 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Who Killed the Electric Car?

Originally Posted by AshenGrey
On the bright side, the new 2007 Escalade gets even LOWER mileage, weighs 6000 pounds, and adds an additional 20 HP. Yippie!
Makes me proud to be 'Merken.

Old 06-27-2006, 09:05 AM
Vegetarian

I'm seeing it tomorrow!

Old 06-27-2006, 09:16 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hmmm... "Who Killed the Electric Car?" is already out in your area, Katie? We saw previews for it before our viewing of "An Inconvenient Truth" last weekend, but it's not showing on screens here until July.

Old 06-27-2006, 09:20 AM
Vegetarian

It comes out tomorrow near me.

Old 06-27-2006, 04:34 PM
Active Enthusiast

Hopefully AC Propulsion with their tzero, other electric car derivatives, and third party manufacturers (Venturi Fetish) using their hardware can succeed where the big auto companies failed.

Old 06-27-2006, 04:49 PM
no more oil

The killer for me is that a RAV 4 EV was posted on ebay back just before we bought the highlander. I wanted to bid on it, but i know my wife would have said it was too small. So we didnt.

Then i find out it didnt matter anyways, as the car, with 59000 miles on it sold for $67,000 !!!

WTF??? 20k MORE than the original brand new MSRP????

But toyo doesnt think it should try to sell any more of em? Whatever.....
So much for americans 'not being interested ' in a pure EV that can go 100miles without charging. I am certain that Toyota could probably now get the rav 4 to go 200 (some say 300) miles without a charge due to advances in batteries since the RAV 4 EV debut.

In the end, the sad truth is they can no doubt ALREADY give us a plug in hybrid, and a long enough lasting EV , but big oil and other powerful entities are NOT GOING TO LET EM UNTIL THEY ARE GOOD AND READY.

so much for me waiting for the plug in. No doubt it will be a watered down episode that still needs plenty of foreign oil to quench it.

Old 06-27-2006, 08:45 PM
Ohio BIODZL Driver

I had a chance to talk with Dana Myers the president of Myers Motors last week ... oh and test drive their NmG. (no more gas) It was an interesting visit and buzz around the block. I was left impressed with the performance of the Corbin Sparrow derived EV, but disappointed in the 30 mile range. I've posted a little more with photos here.

Old 06-28-2006, 07:23 AM
Enthusiastically Active

Yikes.... 25k for a single seater with a 30 mile range? While this is cheaper than Corbin's version, seems like we can do better than that with modern battery technology. Wouldn't the electric portion of the Prius do better than that in the Sparrow, especially with an upsized battery.

Old 06-28-2006, 07:32 AM
Ohio BIODZL Driver

The NmG is using the Optima battery because of cost at this point but without disclosing any company improvements, there is some very interesting talk with motor and battery people going on. Stay tuned as I suspect that this small, light vehicle should be able to perform very well with the right combination of electrics.

By the way ... its fast! Zip and I was up to 60 in no time at all. My chipped up TDI is no slow poke anymore but didn't have the torque of the NmG ... at least from my initial drive and seat of the pants calculations.

Old 06-28-2006, 07:52 AM
Vegetarian

Originally Posted by IMAhybrid
It comes out tomorrow near me.
Oh poo, I read the date wrong, it doesn't come out here for another month.

Quick Reply: Who Killed the Electric Car?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands