Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Will the battery in my hybrid keep going?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 12:34 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Will the battery in my hybrid keep going?

Originally Posted by Delta Flyer
I have simply detailed my experience with the 2000 Insight 5-speed as completely as possible. A number of 2000 Insights have experienced battery pack problems, but the software has been upgraded to keep the lowest charge higher. I'm confident this will prove to be an improvement...

I understand what you are saying, And my Insight falls into the same category as yours (Pre 2002 old ECM/BCM) but I dont think you can go as far as to label a driving style as the cause.

Not to mention all these new people who are hypermiling BRAND new cars.. Geez what is that going to do to the gas portion of your engine which needs a proper breakin? but thats a whole new can of worms LoL

Old 03-14-2006, 12:34 PM
Banned
Default Almost no Warning

While I did notice a few more recals, in the months preceeding my battery pack failure, it was not that much more. When the IMA light went on indicating it failed, it was two months since my last recal - a suprize.

Old 03-14-2006, 01:53 PM
Engineering first
Thumbs up Re: Will the battery in my hybrid keep going?

Hi,

Originally Posted by Hondasucks
Thanks, . . .

And the 2 prius at

39.2%

givin an average of 63.83% cap left average. Sorry but that is not "Like new"
Initially I too was concerned about the low Prius Ah capacity remaining. Then I looked at the ending MPG and it was pretty much the same as the begining. For Prius, this makes sense since iti appears to use the battery for:
- start/stop ICE (no alternative)
- topping off power not available from the ICE (acceleration)
- sink for regenerative braking (saves brake shoes)
- MG1 CVT operation when no power available from MG2 (initial acceleration)

Without addressing the Prius operational modes, it appears a new, Prius HV battery has a remarkable amount of 'excess capacity.' How much is not yet know. Some of us are still 'reverse engineering' the vehicle's characteristics.

The Prius has a radically different architecture from the Honda vehicles and comparing details finer than the gross MPG and handling won't be terribly successful. For example, one of the Prius folks tried the 'warm air' duct trick and it had no effect on MPG. But on the Honda it apparently can fool the 'lean burn' mode to engage.

Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 03-14-2006 at 04:11 PM.
Old 03-14-2006, 02:19 PM
Go Army!

When you drive in your car every single day, YOU KNOW when it starts to perform in-adequate. Please, Read my story by clicking my avatar and find out how my "feeling" came true
Indeed, the regular driver of a car can certainly tell when it starts to perform differently. However, different/inadequate performance can be caused by MANY things, only one of which is battery failure.

I have read your story, and while I'm sorry for your experience, it does not mean that all hybrids are doomed to similar future occurrences.

Old 03-14-2006, 02:30 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by David Harville
I have read your story, and while I'm sorry for your experience, it does not mean that all hybrids are doomed to similar future occurrences.
No, Of course not. Alot of the problems with Low LMPG, bad cats, 02, etc were due to dealerships not being able to diagnosis problems properly. But you are dead wrong about one part. All hybrids ARE doomed to have battery failure. It is the design, and it is only a matter of time before it happens. Weather you have gotten your $$$ out of it to that point or not will only be told in time

Old 03-14-2006, 02:34 PM
YA RLY.

No, Of course not.
From your posts, it's hard to believe you really think that.

All hybrids ARE doomed to have battery failure. It is the design, and it is only a matter of time before it happens. Weather you have gotten your $$$ out of it to that point or not will only be told in time
All cars are doomed to have engine or transmission failure so what's the difference? I had a Chevy whose tranny died with less than 80k miles on the clock. I know several people at work who have had to replace their engines in their trucks with less than 100,000 miles on them due to engine failure. None of us set up a website about our problems and trolled forums.

Last edited by Sledge; 03-14-2006 at 02:41 PM.
Old 03-14-2006, 02:46 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

The haters say the report is written by Bradley Berman, of HybridCars.com
Say what? The report was written by Herb Weisbaum, from MSNBC's "ConsumerMan". Berman is quoted once in the article, from his contribution to an article in BusinessWeek.

Before you attempt to scorn the credibility of others, I recommend checking your own. You do a disservice to your argument by blatant misrepresentation of the authorship of the report from MSNBC.

Old 03-14-2006, 03:00 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by coyote
Say what? The report was written by Herb Weisbaum, from MSNBC's "ConsumerMan". Berman is quoted once in the article, from his contribution to an article in BusinessWeek.

Before you attempt to scorn the credibility of others, I recommend checking your own. You do a disservice to your argument by blatant misrepresentation of the authorship of the report from MSNBC.

Original Article i am reffering too, Sorry for not being Clear (which is linked within your article which if you read my replies has to do with the comment of 160,000km which Herb sourced to the following)

One of the Supporting Articles TO the original article

Last edited by Hondasucks; 03-14-2006 at 03:09 PM.
Old 03-14-2006, 03:06 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sledge
From your posts, it's hard to believe you really think that.

All cars are doomed to have engine or transmission failure so what's the difference? I had a Chevy whose tranny died with less than 80k miles on the clock. I know several people at work who have had to replace their engines in their trucks with less than 100,000 miles on them due to engine failure. None of us set up a website about our problems and trolled forums.

I dont understand how you guys lump Engine failure to battery failure as being the same. They are not. We are talking above and BEYOND the cost to maintain a regualr gas engine. Your argument would work if we were comparing EV to Gas.

Actually, their are tones of pro-hybrid websites up around the net. Why Silence one that gives an oposing view? And why is presenting an ligatimate oposing argument Trolling? Infact by making such a comment YOU are infact trolling

Old 03-14-2006, 03:18 PM
YA RLY.

Why Silence one that gives an oposing view?

And why is presenting an ligatimate oposing argument Trolling? Infact by making such a comment YOU are infact trolling

Last edited by Sledge; 03-14-2006 at 03:20 PM.

Quick Reply: Will the battery in my hybrid keep going?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands