Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Will the battery in my hybrid keep going?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 04:54 PM
Banned
Default Re: Will the battery in my hybrid keep going?

I don't have a problem with civil dissenting viewpoints per se.

The conditions of the battery pack failure should be documented just like the fuel economy in the database (i.e. how fast were you driving to get that mpg?)

Don't rush to judgement that my battery pack failure just shy of 94,000 miles means the technology is bad (that "judgement" is what got me unglued BTW...):
  • My 12-volt battery went dead 2-3 times, resulting in the hybrid battery pack also going dead. Most people will tell you a totally drained or totally overcharged battery pack is the last thing you want to happen. Unintentional, but allowing this to happen is abusive. Honda replaced the BCM and MCM units with software that is supposed to prevent this situation from happening again.
  • The next worst thing that happened is the first three years I had sustained Assist boosts - a strain on the battery pack.
If you want to say I was rough on the battery pack, I'm guilty as charged. If this new battery pack fails early under proper treatment, I can in good conscious blame Honda. The dealership has been more than fair to me concerning the replacement.

It's no different than investigating an airliner crash?
  • Was it improper maintainence?
  • Was it pilot error?
  • Was it a sudden change of weather that could not be controlled - i.e. "an Act of God"?
  • Was it a defective part that Boeing or Airbus could be held responsible for?

Old 03-15-2006, 05:27 PM
Active Enthusiast

I will gladly address some of these questions

12 volt died Once wayyyyy back in i believe 2002? Had it towed into Honda (Was affraid of having it boosted) and they replaced the 12volt battery! about 1.5 years ago I replaced the battery with an Optima one (The honda one was still in good shape! Heck it is still in my garage!, going optima was really just an upgrade!)

I do Oil changes and regular maintenance RELIGOUSLY, I think the LONGEST i have ever gone without an oil change is 8,000 Kilometers! 99% of the time i have it changed at 5,000km and as of approx 100,000km i switched to Amsoil 5w20 Synthetic!! Tire pressure I also monitor closely, Atleast once every 2 weeks and keep them at 40PSI

MPG issue has been addressed, since the 02/cat problem finally got solved My trip millage has jumped up to approx 55mpg in WINTER driving with WINTER tires Also, I botched honda clutch repair broke the AUtostop wire causing me to drive without it for almost a year

No real insane acts of god here, Just normal Cnd winters and summers

Delta Flyer you keep eluding to things i answer over and over again! Maybe sit back with a large cup of Java and read my site, become informed on my situation instead of assuming what may or may not be the case!

Originally Posted by Delta Flyer
I don't have a problem with civil dissenting viewpoints per se.

The conditions of the battery pack failure should be documented just like the fuel economy in the database (i.e. how fast were you driving to get that mpg?)

Don't rush to judgement that my battery pack failure just shy of 94,000 miles means the technology is bad (that "judgement" is what got me unglued BTW...):
  • My 12-volt battery went dead 2-3 times, resulting in the hybrid battery pack also going dead. Most people will tell you a totally drained or totally overcharged battery pack is the last thing you want to happen. Unintentional, but allowing this to happen is abusive. Honda replaced the BCM and MCM units with software that is supposed to prevent this situation from happening again.<<
  • The next worst thing that happened is the first three years I had sustained Assist boosts - a strain on the battery pack.<<
If you want to say I was rough on the battery pack, I'm guilty as charged. If this new battery pack fails early under proper treatment, I can in good conscious blame Honda. The dealership has been more than fair to me concerning the replacement.

It's no different than investigating an airliner crash?
  • Was it improper maintainence?<<
  • Was it pilot error?<<
  • Was it a sudden change of weather that could not be controlled - i.e. "an Act of God"?<<
  • Was it a defective part that Boeing or Airbus could be held responsible for?<<

Last edited by Hondasucks; 03-15-2006 at 05:34 PM.
Old 03-15-2006, 05:33 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pravus Prime
  Off Topic:
Let's stay civil, polite, and respectful. Everybody is entitled to their opinion, even if they're wrong.

Let's stay on topic.

I think battery life is based on what it's always been based on. Technology and use.

The newer the battery, the "better" the use, the longer it will last.
Hopefully this is the case, but like everything else only time will tell. 2000-2001 are just coming out of warrenty now and so problems with battery/software are starting to be revieled, but most likley the avg person who is getting a new battery pack at that millage will NOT keep the car long enough to see if it lasts longer the next 150K km ( I remeber reading the avg life of a car to owner and i think it was no more then 6 years? could be wrong) So when 2002 who supposedly have the new ECM and BCM start reaching high millage we will see if it makes any difference. But as of right now it is still uncharted waters

Last edited by Hondasucks; 03-15-2006 at 05:36 PM.
Old 03-15-2006, 05:44 PM
Banned

The thrust of my last post was the experiences of my battery pack and a hint that a couple of your barbs led to that recent flame war. I then went on to dispassionately ask people to consider the history of a particluar hybrid before making a conclusion. Reader can go to you site and draw their own conclusions.

There is hardly anything new to add to this thread. I could site a couple of politicians that have circumvented discussion by repeating things ad nauseum, but I'd rather this thread cool off.

Old 03-17-2006, 03:12 PM
Site Founder

You two really need to stop the bickering. Hondasucks, if you'd please stop being so pessimistic I'm sure many members wouldn't mind your opinions. Delta Flyer, you've been chasing Hondasucks around the forums and snapping at his heels. He may be controversial but you're the one starting most of the arguments.

Hondasucks, I have banned you for 5 days. Delta Flyer, you're banned for 10. If you cannot knock this off you, neither of you will be invited back. There's no reason why GreenHybrid can't be a more welcoming place for discussions. Thread closed.