Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

"xcel" in CNN Hypermiling Special

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 08:45 PM
my other car is a FJORD
Default Re: "xcel" in CNN Hypermiling Special

this is a duplicate thread. perhaps you could find the other one and be just as insulting there.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:54 PM
Banned

Ummm.....physics does a pardigam shift between conventional and hybrid vehicles? A hybrid is simply more efficient. There is enough out there of Wayne's driving vs your typical driver to know he is doing something right to go farther.

For those that sincerely care - Wayne got an Accord because he worked 2-3 days at a time and slept in his car...anyone that has gotten in an Insight knows about the only way you can sleep in it is assume a fetal position across the two seats (maybe if you are under 6...Wayne is taller)

Last edited by Delta Flyer; 06-03-2008 at 09:34 PM.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:58 PM
Engineering first
Thumbs up Re: "xcel" in CNN Hypermiling Special

Originally Posted by laurie
this is a duplicate thread. perhaps you could find the other one and be just as ... .
Good idea, done. Thanks!

Actually I think it is a great idea that Wayne has begun using non-hybrids in his 'hypermiling' demos. Hybrids are about 2% of the existing inventory. Using hybrids in his demonstrations completely misses the 98% who don't have hybrids.

Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 06-04-2008 at 02:46 AM.
Old 06-04-2008, 05:09 AM
Banned

Finally got to see the CNN/Miles O'Brian video.

Guys, there was a bit of "show biz" in it.

We are sophiticated - lot's of things broadcast tend to be things most people would not do as broadcast but still do in a moderated form.

I'd refer you to CBS's The Early Show a week earlier as hypermiling and getting 20-30% more then the typical driving....still quite an improvement without pushing.

Old 06-04-2008, 06:04 AM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by Delta Flyer
... Wayne got an Accord because he worked 2-3 days at a time and slept in his car ...
The right tool for the right job:

Then there is my wife's birthday present:

I picked it up in Florida on Saturday where it had been sitting in the backyard for a year. On the 600 mile trip back:
  • 65 mph -> 9.0 MPG
  • 55 mph -> 9.1 MPG
  • 60 mph -> 16.1 MPG
The act of driving the RV helped get some of the systems running again. However, I still have tune-up and minor repairs to make before it really becomes a practical vehicle for my wife. Think of it as a small efficiency apartment on wheels. Eventually, it will be integrated with my Prius:

Notice both have 2" receiver hitches ... who will tow whom?

It is a shame Wayne couldn't get a trailer or rent a room near his work. Trying to sleep in a car is ordinarily not practical without a lot of work.

Bob Wilson

Old 06-04-2008, 06:15 AM
Banned

Well, Miles O'Brian is not done with his series so maybe you can do a shoot with him on how to do even better.

Old 06-04-2008, 07:44 AM
Engineering first

Not likely, I've already had my '15 minutes of fame.' <grins>

I would send him contact information for Ken@Japan and the '1,000 mile tank' club. "TeddyGirl" would be a wonderful interview.

Bob Wilson

Old 06-04-2008, 08:00 AM
Banned

I won't completly leak this, but CNN (by Miles O'Brian?) is going to interview an engineer I know met personally in about a week.

Myself and 2-3 dozen others can testify about shoots and print stories - when the reports go back to their offices they could do anything with the story - good, bad, blindly copy what others did earlier.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:03 AM
Engineering first

My experience has been that if a reporter gets 70% of the story right, they are brilliant. Anything over 70% is so hard to achieve that I've taken to treating all stories with a certain amount of skepticism ... even those I'd like to agree with. Regardless, GOOD LUCK!

Bob Wilson

Old 06-04-2008, 08:18 AM
Banned

In regards to hypermiling stories, close-drafting semis in stuck to at least 85% of the stories even if NEVER mentioned in the interview....sort of like on hybrid stories battery durability/toxicity or "hybrid premium" on hybrid articles. Some of this might be copycat - reporters just doing what an earlier article covered.

In the last month in Washington State, a Channel 5 reporter did a shoot of Wayne and that part was fair. When it aired, he added the same amout or more time about close drafting semis, even though Wayne made a quick mention he discourages it, which of course get drowned out with the reporter's coverage.

Quick Reply: "xcel" in CNN Hypermiling Special

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands