07' Camry Hybrid "check hybrid system", "check vsc system" several codes pulled

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 08:53 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 07' Camry Hybrid "check hybrid system", "check vsc system" several codes pulled

I completely disagree with the O'Reilly guy. Aside from fit, a 12V battery is a 12V battery as far as the car is concerned. When the failed 12V was disconnected and replaced, the codes were wiped and all affected computers "reset".

P0A80, P3018 and P3019 scream HV battery failure

P0A7F is another less typical battery failure code more often associated with overheating. It may have been the cause for the shut down.

The "C" codes are failures of other systems associated with the fact that the HV Battery has failed as they are all interrelated.

B1603 is unrelated.

All evidence, codes and symptoms, suggests a new HV battery is needed. For a definitive diagnosis, you likely need to get to the dealership. They will likely charge you about $150 to tell you that you need a $4000+ HV battery.

Where are you located?

Good luck,

Steve

Old 06-22-2017, 04:44 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 07' Camry Hybrid "check hybrid system", "check vsc system" several codes pulled

Originally Posted by GeorgiaHybrid
C1241 is a low voltage (12V) to the brake controller system skid control ECU

C1256 is the brake Accumulator Low Pressure but is common if C1241 is thrown. That issue needs to be taken care before this can be diagnosed.

C1259 is the HV System Regenerative Malfunction and that code can be thrown by C1241 also but can also be thrown if you turned on the ignition with the service plug pulled on the traction battery.

C1310 is the HV System Regenerative Malfunction code and again is thrown when the Skid Control ECU is sending a signal and the Hybrid Control ECU has a low voltage. This is also thrown if you turned on the ignition switch with the traction battery service plug pulled.

P3021 is the "Battery Block 11 Becomes Weak" code and will more than likely be the issue causing your problem. Are you SURE you cleaned and torqued everything correctly when you assembled the HV battery? Did you check the voltages of the 17 battery blocks and see if one of them was lower or higher than the others? By the way, this code is thrown for a .3 volt difference.

That battery consists of 34 battery modules combined into 17 blocks (2 modules per block) with (6) 1.2 volt cells in series. ANY cell in that module or block (12 of them) could have a loose or bad connection (or be a bad cell) and that code will be thrown.

You need access to a scanner capable of doing a better check on codes and able to do some bi-directional scanning (IE Techstream or good pro scanner) at this point to see if the battery bank or the smart controller on the battery bank is the problem.

I have a sneaky idea that your "P0480" code is really a P0A1F-123 code that their scanner is not capable of reading. That can also be thrown by a low voltage on the aux battery (12V) but there are other items to check as well (fuse IGCT number 2 for example) that can cause this as well.

One thing is bothering me though, per your post above, "Aux battery was unhooked with the terminals connected together while I cleaned the hybrid battery". Did you actually hook the + and - battery cable together when you cleaned the hybrid battery?

Personal opinion, clear all of the codes and make SURE the 12V battery has a good charge. Drive the car and see what codes it throws and then let us know what codes are present. Most of the codes you have are from the 12V battery being run down before.
Hi, my 2007 Camry throw the code c1259. I did jump start the car before the warning came. I didn't touch the traction plug. How can I fix it? I unplugged the negative and when I started it after 5 miles came back. and after I turn the car off I can't turn it on. Please help!

Old 06-22-2017, 04:52 PM

Per the recommendations of the poster you quoted, you need a better code reader.

I suspect you have a P0AA6 code - HV leak. It's one of the few codes that will disable the car. It is most commonly due to a leaking HV battery, but it can have multiple causes - all very expensive.

The C1259 is likely the only code of many that your reader will pick up and is secondary to the primary failure.

Reset the 12V per your previous process. Drive until the warning returns. Go immediately to O'Reilly. DO NOT TURN OFF THE CAR. Read the codes.

Additionally, a 12V needing a jump in a Camry is a sign of other problems. Essentially, a Camry should never need a jump unless the 12V has failed, or you've done something stupid. If you've done something stupid, there's a good chance you've ruined the 12V. If the 12V has failed, it needs to be replaced before diagnostics can be performed.

Old 06-22-2017, 05:01 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Keith
Per the recommendations of the poster you quoted, you need a better code reader.

I suspect you have a P0AA6 code - HV leak. It's one of the few codes that will disable the car. It is most commonly due to a leaking HV battery, but it can have multiple causes - all very expensive.

The C1259 is likely the only code of many that your reader will pick up and is secondary to the primary failure.

Reset the 12V per your previous process. Drive until the warning returns. Go immediately to O'Reilly. DO NOT TURN OFF THE CAR. Read the codes.

Additionally, a 12V needing a jump in a Camry is a sign of other problems. Essentially, a Camry should never need a jump unless the 12V has failed, or you've done something stupid. If you've done something stupid, there's a good chance you've ruined the 12V. If the 12V has failed, it needs to be replaced before diagnostics can be performed.
I did take it to auto store when the warning came I never turn off the car and the code was c1259. I took the battery out before that and I fully charge it.

Old 06-22-2017, 05:13 PM

You need to go to Toyota Dealership or a professional mechanic with high-end code reader.

Most auto parts stores can't read P0AA6 and many other hybrid codes.

I said O'Reilly specifically, because their Bosch brand code readers can read some of them.

Old 06-22-2017, 05:22 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Keith
You need to go to Toyota Dealership or a professional mechanic with high-end code reader.

Most auto parts stores can't read P0AA6 and many other hybrid codes.

I said O'Reilly specifically, because their Bosch brand code readers can read some of them.
My question was because of georgiagybrid "C1259 is the HV System Regenerative Malfunction and that code can be thrown by C1241 also but can also be thrown if you turned on the ignition with the service plug pulled on the traction battery."
So my question is if it thrown that code because I jump the car with the service plug pulled on the traction battery. What should I do?

Old 06-22-2017, 05:57 PM

You are asking the wrong question. C1259 is not your problem. The only thing that matters about georgiahybrid's post is his recommendation: "You need access to a scanner capable of doing a better check on codes."

You have more codes than C1259. You need to get those codes read by Toyota or a professional mechanic with premium code reader.

You have disconnected your 12V battery. This clears all codes. Your warning after 5 minutes of driving and failure to restart says C1259 is NOT your problem.

Your only solution is to read codes with a device capable of reading Toyota hybrid specific codes. Without this, you will NEVER have fix.

C1259 is nothing. You should ignore it. It is not your problem. It is present because something else has failed. The something else is the reason the car won't restart after warning, not C1259.