Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Toyota Camry Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/)
-   -   07 camry hybrid engine stopped (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/07-camry-hybrid-engine-stopped-30716/)

nich 03-05-2016 11:00 AM

07 camry hybrid engine stopped

Towed home last , thanks AAA . Driving home 65 mph engine shuts down , check hybrid system light comes on . This morning car responds in start up electric mode (3/4 battery) , not willing to run down batteries to find out if the engine starts . check engine light comes on . 364,000 miles , seems like the car is just breaking in , any ideas or suggestions are welcome . thanks

ukrkoz 03-05-2016 06:03 PM

Re: 07 camry hybrid engine stopped

Maybe breaking up, not breaking in?
For 07, my first and rather good guess is - 12V battery is on its last leg. THAT will cause lots of starting and running issues.

GeorgiaHybrid 03-05-2016 07:49 PM

You need to find out what codes the system has thrown. Do you have access to a good scanner? By a good scanner, I mean a pro model, not an auto parts store employee reading them for you with their scanner.

nich 03-06-2016 06:18 PM

Checked 12 volt battery , 12.8 , I'm ok with that . Unfortunately i don't have a scanner . Hoping someone has had similar experience , what threw me was the engine shut down at highway speed .

ukrkoz 03-10-2016 08:40 PM

It's deep cycle battery, you can not check it the usual way with multimeter. It's about 10 years old. Also, it's continuoisly monitored by ECM and trickle charged as needed off traction battery.
Just saying.

nich 03-26-2016 03:06 PM

update , camry hybrid has been at the toyota dealership for a few days , they are still in the diagnostic stage . first tests turned up nothing definetive , just a generic hybrid system code , that doesn't lead anywhere . more money , more diagnostics . stay tuned .

nich 04-07-2016 05:25 PM

toyota service department has not been able to pinpoint the problem . They asked for more money thinking the transmission was the problem , i asked if it were , how was i able to drive it in electric mode . Then they said it might be the inverter , again i said how was i able to drive it in electric if it was the inverter . Age of the car and miles aside , shouldn't a toyota dealership be able to figure this out .

slimething 04-10-2016 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by nich (Post 259530)
toyota service department has not been able to pinpoint the problem . They asked for more money thinking the transmission was the problem , i asked if it were , how was i able to drive it in electric mode . Then they said it might be the inverter , again i said how was i able to drive it in electric if it was the inverter . Age of the car and miles aside , shouldn't a toyota dealership be able to figure this out .

I'm going through something similar on a 2007 TCH after a replacement hybrid battery install, $2300 vs $4200 (dealer).

There is no charging voltage at the aux battery. No warning lights. It will continue to drop until the car stops running.

I have a full dealer diagnostic report that stated the hybrid battery was bad. The car was running on ICE at the time. It was after the hybrid battery was replaced that the charging system issue came up.

I've asked in several forums what would cause no charging voltage (~14v) at the aux battery to no avail. If it's the generator, shouldn't there be a battery light turned on? If it is the generator, from what I've read it's a $5k fix and time to part out the car. Too bad, it only has 90k and is in excellent condition, but I'm not mortgaging the house just to keep the thing on the road.

Jones Nek 06-01-2019 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by nich (Post 259299)
Towed home last , thanks AAA . Driving home 65 mph engine shuts down , check hybrid system light comes on . This morning car responds in start up electric mode (3/4 battery) , not willing to run down batteries to find out if the engine starts . check engine light comes on . 364,000 miles , seems like the car is just breaking in , any ideas or suggestions are welcome . thanks

Jones Nek 06-01-2019 03:13 PM

07 Camry hybrid engine stopped at high way at a mileage of 65mph.