100,000+ Miles Reviews--How was your Experience?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 08:06 AM
Professor Emeritus
Default Re: 100,000+ Miles Reviews--How was your Experience?

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
He's just showing off in Toyota Hybrid forum with GM product telling us how great it is. Hard to believe but maybe. I have seen those that run and run.
I know, I had one.. A 96 Chevy Z71 K1500. I sold it with 226,000 miles. His quoted mileage is not squat to begin with and he is replying about a GM product in a Toyota forum in a TCH thread asking about how was your experience?. If he had swapped the TCH drive-train into his truck, that would make sense. Otherwise it is so far off topic, it is shocking

Old 07-25-2015, 02:55 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Smile Re: 100,000+ Miles Reviews--How was your Experience?

I have just shy of 114,000 miles and I love this car!!

The ONLY repair work done is both my front struts were replaced
2 years ago........other than that it's an awesome car and I am still getting
38-40 mpg!!

Hope this helps!!

Old 07-25-2015, 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by GeorgiaHybrid
Bill,

There are only three members that have a mileage in the 70,000 mile range if the database is correct. The rest of us are bringing up the rear....

I have 114,00 miles now

Old 07-25-2015, 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by litespeed
I bought our 2008 used. But, we have put a ton of miles on it since then. It is basically a "tool" for us and our long commute of 800 to 1000 miles per week. As of today it is sitting at 107,236 miles. No real serious issues as of yet. A couple things have come up that will need attention soon though.

1. Clunking in front end while moving slowly. Probably strut tower bearings/bushings or sway bar end links.

2. Rattle coming from passengers side engine compartment while accelerating and engine on. Probably idler or tension-er pulley bearing going bad. When in E-mode the noise is not there. So, it must be an accesory belt pulley problem (I hope). I really hope it is not a timing chain tensioner problem like the ones that plagued the old 20R and 22R motors.

3. One time I had a really rough start after moving the car several times without allowing it to warm up. Sounded like it was running on 2 cylinders. It only happened 1 time about 15,000 miles ago and has not happened since? Future problem??

I learned a few weeks ago that the plugs in the car are obsolete and there is a new part # for the iridium plugs. No problems or changes after installing the new plugs. Supposedly they cannot get the IFR6A-11's anymore. I had to put IFR6T-11's in there.

I did the PSD fluid change myself at around 76,000 miles. Now that I am over 100,000 I am planning on doing SLL coolant changes on both cooling systems. I need to read up on that.

Ours has not had all the rattle issues that lots of people complain about on here. It had a few when I bought it. I fixed them at that time and none have returned (the usuals). HOWEVER I noticed one inside the drivers door today!

Would I buy it again? Probably not... I was hoping for a little better MPG. But, it is not bad for "what it is". The Comfort to MPG level is pretty high on this car. The fit and finish problems on this car are completely unacceptable in my opinion. I would not buy a Camry again for this one reason.

I came from a MB Diesel. I will probably go back to that or go with a Lexus Hybrid. I will be looking for another car again around the end of 2012.

Edit:

Our 2008 still has the original brakes (plenty left), battery and water pump. I have done nothing but oil changes, oil filters, air filters, etc...

UPDATE:

Water pump failed at 114,783 miles. I DIY'ed the water pump. Not that difficult. Used NAPA pump and Toyota sealant and coolant. Total cost to replace was around $150.

I had both the inverter and radiator coolant replaced at 108,000 and the technician told me both were completely clear...no dirt or other contaminants

Old 07-25-2015, 06:02 AM
Professor Emeritus

Originally Posted by CJO2007CamryHyb
I have just shy of 114,000 miles and I love this car!!

The ONLY repair work done is both my front struts were replaced
2 years ago........other than that it's an awesome car and I am still getting
38-40 mpg!!

Hope this helps!!
You have got a LONGGGG way to go!! That post you quoted me on was over 113,000 miles ago.... I now have just over 220,000 miles on ours and still drive it up to 30hours per week high speed driving. We usually get 33 to 35MPG because we live on the interstate at speeds between 80 and 85MPH.

The only major things I have done to the car are to have the drivers front hub bearing replaced and the ICE water pump. Both the batteries are still original and the brakes are still original. At 220,000 miles they still have over 60-70% pad life left!

The other things are just regular maintenance. IE: 4 PSD oil changes, numerous ICE oil changes, numerous cabin and ICE air filters, 2 sets of spark plugs, 3 ICE coolant changes, 3 inverter coolant changes, servicing the brake slide pins every 30/40,000 miles, 4 sets of tires and the occasional find and fix a rattle.

Even with all those miles, it still runs, drives and looks like the day we got it! Amazing vehicle....

To answer my own post about issues I had @107,000 miles and did not know what they were:

1. Was the "steering shaft clunk". I simply disconnected the shaft, cylcled it up and down to re-distribute the grease and it has not been an issue since.

2. Rattle coming from engine was/is detonation. Never did figure it out. Dealer could not figure out either. It comes and goes. I just ignore it.

3. The rough start issue is something that everyone has if you move the car while it is cold and then park it, when you get out the next morning to start it, it feels and sounds like the engine is coming apart for whatever reason. I just avoid moving the car and parking it while cold. If I do move it, I drive it around the block and then park it. I have never had the problem happen again once I figured this out.

Originally Posted by CJO2007CamryHyb
I had both the inverter and radiator coolant replaced at 108,000 and the technician told me both were completely clear...no dirt or other contaminants
Your technician is an idiot. Just because coolant is clear does not mean you don't change it. It breaks down over time and will loose the ability to fight corrosion. There is a maintenance schedule for the these things.

Old 07-25-2015, 06:12 AM
Super Moderator

Chris,

The post of mine above that you quoted was from 6 1/2 YEARS AGO....

There are a LOT of us with well over 200,000 miles on our cars now. I have replaced the right front hub bearing, struts, 12 volt battery, water pump, rear trunk switch, sunvisors (twice), and several other small items. Still, a GREAT vehicle with VERY few issues given the mileage we have on this car now.

Old 08-05-2015, 04:55 PM
Enthusiast

I purchased the vehicle from my last company as a fleet vehicle. The good news is, almost 90% of the driving was from me, so I know what kind of wear I have done to this car.

120k miles

A little bit of wobble in the front when the brakes are applied, new tires helped stop the wobble...a little.

I can honestly say, no girl has ever told me my car made me sexier.

Funny smell sometimes but I'm guessing it's the leather.

I've really began to like this car, and I'm glad o purchased it though I wouldn't have if it wasn't for such a great price. Anyhoo.

I average 35mpgs, and Im pretty sure that's the best I'll get.

Old 08-05-2015, 10:23 PM
Super Moderator

The wobble in the front could be worn struts which is a common problem. The smell could either be coming from the cabin filter (when did you last change it) or from moisture in the condenser unit creating a lab experiment (mold) due to a stopped up drain that will need to be opened up and the condenser cleaned.