12 volt battery replacement need help!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 03:31 PM
Advanced Technology-PZEV
Default 12 volt battery replacement need help!!

Okay so i have a 2007 TCH, and about 37k miles on it. For some odd reason this morning it was completely dead. It drove just fine yesterday, and nothing was left on. So i did a jump start ran it a while, and it was dead after a hour of non use. So i jumped it took it to the dealer, and I was told that there is ONLY OEM battery replacement for this 12 volt and it is $350 with labor to install it, battery is about $320...is the dealer BS-ing me?

EDIT: Also during the 30k service and 33k oilchange the battery tested out just fine. And also apparently toyota platinum coverage doesn't cover this battery??!!

Last edited by Rcommander; 08-07-2009 at 03:34 PM.
Old 08-07-2009, 05:03 PM
Super Moderator
Default Re: 12 volt battery replacement need help!!

It's a type 35-2 battery and sells for 89.99 at Advanced Auto. It takes about 15 minutes to install the new battery in the trunk.

Your call.....

Old 08-07-2009, 08:21 PM
Active Enthusiast

The complication with these batteries is that they are AGM (Absorbent Glass Mat) batteries with a voltage/temperature sensor integrated into the casing. You have to be especially careful to get the exact type of replacement.

AGM batteries that I have worked with in the past for my (admittedly special) industry have been rather pricey. I hope that someone has come out with an exact replacement, but I would check very carefully to make sure that you aren't being quoted one for a standard (non-Hybrid) Camry.

The first thing I would do is to troubleshoot to see if there is a current drain with the car shut down. This requires a multimeter and the knowledge of how to use it. You can look up the procedure in Wikipedia, if you want to risk it. There is the possibility of causing damage to various things if you don't do it right, so you need either a good set of instructions or a knowledgable mentor if you are not familiar with the procedure and equipment. Flames are a distinct possibility. I don't know your level of experience, so I'm defaulting to 'extra cautious' mode.

Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean that they're not out to get you.

Last edited by RadioTek; 08-07-2009 at 08:43 PM.
Old 08-08-2009, 03:57 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

...so (if I understand correctly), it's better to use the dealer's (and only the dealer's) battery?
do third party vendors carry these AGMs?

Old 08-08-2009, 06:51 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rcommander
Okay so i have a 2007 TCH, and about 37k miles on it. For some odd reason this morning it was completely dead. It drove just fine yesterday, and nothing was left on. So i did a jump start ran it a while, and it was dead after a hour of non use. So i jumped it took it to the dealer, and I was told that there is ONLY OEM battery replacement for this 12 volt and it is $350 with labor to install it, battery is about $320...is the dealer BS-ing me?

EDIT: Also during the 30k service and 33k oilchange the battery tested out just fine. And also apparently toyota platinum coverage doesn't cover this battery??!!
Yes, another stealer trick. just go buy an oddessy PC925 for $145 and you are good to go. make sure your clock is not left on and all the easy things to check lol, easy to check for drain with volt/ohm meter. This battery is not even a starting battery just activates the commputer. I would only start to sweat if the big battery goes south lol.

Old 08-08-2009, 07:50 PM
Active Enthusiast

The AGM technology is supposed to be less prone to outgassing during recharge (generating large amounts of free hydrogen). It is also not a liquid electrolyte, so it won't spill, even if turned upside down. With the added plus of being a deep cycle battery, it's a "safer" package.

There will undoubtedly be an aftermarket supplier for this battery, if there is enough of a market for one. It's just a matter of when. If there is one out now, with all the necessary features to go into our Hybrid, go for it. I just haven't looked for one. If we have one available with the proper monitor plug, for less, then we're good.

Old 08-08-2009, 10:37 PM
Malcontent

There's a whole selection of AGM batteries here:

http://www.batteryweb.com/agm.cfm