12 Volt Battery Replacement / Upgrade on a 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid with photos

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 08:19 PM
Super Moderator
Default Re: 12 Volt Battery Replacement / Upgrade on a 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid with photos

2007 thru 2011 are basically the same car. Given a choice, I would either take the Exide battery or an OEM (I'm getting the Exide by the way). I will say this much, I trust 3 Exide batteries to crank my fifth wheel tow vehicle and not leave me stranded in the middle of nowhere. It takes 3 of them to turn over the little 13 liter diesel in this:

freightliner_M2_112.jpg

Old 10-12-2014, 04:42 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 12 Volt Battery Replacement / Upgrade on a 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid with photos

GeorgiaHybrid,

What specific glue compound would you recommend we use for affixing the temperature sensor to the new battery? I guess it would be some sort of a "thermal glue"?

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-12-2014, 03:33 PM
Super Moderator

You are not putting 2" of glue down and I would think any very thin coat of glue would work....I use this:

3M Thermal tape

It's not cheap as a 1" wide 3 foot long strip will be about $22 but I use it on my computers when attaching thermocouples.

Last edited by GeorgiaHybrid; 10-12-2014 at 03:43 PM.
Old 10-14-2014, 08:26 AM
Former Vendor

srivenkat, the only batteries we manufacture are AGM products. If chidonwokeafor has limited access to products in Nigeria, but can get OPTIMA products, we do have several batteries that could be used in what we consider “custom fitments.” However, they may require some modification of the battery hold down to work safely. I would only suggest considering batteries that have provisions for external venting, if they are mounted in an enclosed space, like a trunk. While our Group 27 and 31 batteries both have this feature, they are quite large. The other battery that could be used in a custom-fitment application with venting provisions would be our Group 78 RedTop, although it is a side-terminal only battery. Our other products that have provisions for external venting may either be too small for the application or may only be available at specific locations, like the 35C, which is an OE battery on the Jeep Liberty diesel and only available through Chrysler dealerships.

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries
www.pinterest.com/optimabatteries

Old 10-14-2014, 10:38 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by OptimaJim
While our Group 27 and 31 batteries both have this feature, they are quite large. The other battery that could be used in a custom-fitment application with venting provisions would be our Group 78 RedTop, although it is a side-terminal only battery.
Why not standardize and make all batteries with side vents like the Exide Edge batteries?

Old 10-14-2014, 10:42 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by OptimaJim
While our Group 27 and 31 batteries both have this feature, they are quite large. The other battery that could be used in a custom-fitment application with venting provisions would be our Group 78 RedTop, although it is a side-terminal only battery. Our other products that have provisions for external venting may either be too small for the application or may only be available at specific locations, like the 35C, which is an OE battery on the Jeep Liberty diesel and only available through Chrysler dealerships.
Standardizing on side vent ports like how Exide has done with their Edge AGM batteries will eliminate messy installations like these:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/10...ry-change.html

Old 10-14-2014, 05:36 PM
Super Moderator

Urkotz also has that same post on here for the battery but even though it is messy, it works....I still think he missed the boat however as he doesn't have any duct tape or baling wire in the install pictures.

He would be asked to turn in his man card down here in the south without those two items.....

Just kidding.....He is actually a good guy and we have exchanged a few tips back and forth.

Old 05-17-2015, 08:56 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RadioTek
Finally got to the point where I had to replace the battery. I'd been getting by with occasional recharges from a trickle charger, but that finally stopped working.

I've been hearing a LOT of negative info about the quality of Optima batteries; that the quality had taken a severe nose-dive when the factory was moved to Mexico. I looked around a bit and talked to a local battery specialty shop, the guy there was not impressed with them either, saying that he had been exchanging them under warranty at about a 100% rate: "10 out of 10" going bad, even at the shorter warraty period enacted after the factory relocation.

He was trying to push me to another battery, with the name X2(?), but that would have been $300.00 by the time taxes were included. I told him I could afford that if I could figure out a way not to buy groceries for a month, and decided to go online.

I entered Group 35 AGM battery into Google, and started looking at the results. The one I stopped on was a Bosch Platinum at Pep Boys (a regional chain parts store) that had a 25% discount for online orders over $100.00. The list price was $189.00 and the discount brought it to $142.50. Taxes brought it to about $155.00 after I brought back the old one (core charge).

The main difference was that the terminals are 'backwards' on the OEM battery, but I was able to get the connectors on the terminals by putting them at the back of the enclosure. It just took a little bit of fiddling.

The vent hose fitting pulled out of the OEM battery and fit into a hole on the new one with no trouble.

The temp sensor pull out of the hot glue easily, and was hot glued and duct taped to the new battery. Duct tape was to keep the sensor in place
until the glue cooled.

Since this was a group project with a couple of my sons' friends, the sensor didn't get hooked up at first. So when the car 'booted up', the "Check Hybrid System" error message appeared. One of the kids has a scanner, so it was applied to the car. (He was imressed that it had the info for the Camry Hybrid) and it showed a Batt Temp Sensor error. Plugging it in cured that, and the car is now happy.

I'm attaching a photo of the same battery, but branded for Exide. The guy at the parts store said that they are manufactured in the U.S.A. by Johnson Controls for Bosch, Exide, and probably others.

While this was almost exactly the same size as the OEM unit, I did note that it was quite a bit heavier, by 5 to 8 pounds. I note that the weight of batteries is often associated with the quality; the heavier, the better, due to the amount of metal / number of plates. The old one lasted 5 years in Phoenix, so I'm hoping for a like lifespan on this one, maybe even better.

Thank you! The Bosch Group 35 AGM worked beautifully in my 2009 Hybrid Camry. I tried the group 24 (it was too long) and the 25 wasn't available locally, but the 35 went right in. The existing bracket fit it nicely and the OEM vent tube plugged right on. I wonder whether the vent tube comes off the correct side of the battery on the group 25 battery... Anyway, that 35 went was perfect and I got it for $150 after a 30% coupon and a $15 core charge refund.

Old 09-29-2015, 01:57 PM
Enthusiast

I have a 2007 TCH that is now 8½ years old. It is still going strong with the *original* Panasonic 12V battery. I live in Phoenix where the temperatures routinely exceed 110°F and the average life of a car battery is about 3 years.

Yesterday I returned from a trip that kept me out of town and my car in the 110° garage, unused, for two months. I expected to have a dead battery. Nope. The HV battery was flat, of course, but the 12V had plenty of juice to start the car. I let it run for ½ hour to charge the batteries and all is well.

If that original battery ever dies, I'm going shopping for an *exact* Panasonic replacement.

Old 09-29-2015, 04:14 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

You kidding me. You realize, 12V battery does NOT start the vehicle? Traction battery flat = no start period. So you must have had at least a bar of charge left on traction battery.
That's taking chances, man. Read manual - TCH has to be operated for 30 minutes at least once every two weeks to maintain traction battery charge.

Quick Reply: 12 Volt Battery Replacement / Upgrade on a 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid with photos

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands