12V dieing

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 06:21 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 12V dieing

just to add, i took my car for a short drive today and when i came back i noted the voltage once i put the car off using my scangauge, it stated 12.2v, now after 2hrs 20mns i went to check and the scangauge is saying 11.4v.

Old 12-27-2013, 06:36 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by clayton4115
just to add, i took my car for a short drive today and when i came back i noted the voltage once i put the car off using my scangauge, it stated 12.2v, now after 2hrs 20mns i went to check and the scangauge is saying 11.4v.

To troubleshoot this, I'd want to ask you a couple questions.

What kind of battery charger setting did you use to recharge, a trickle charge would be what you want. Charging at a higher current level can create enough heat to warp plates.

Do you have any parasitic drains? If the light switch is in the wrong position (ON all times, instead of ON when running) you could be draining it flat without knowing it. There have been some reports that the rear seat courtesy light being left on has drained a battery overnight, for example. My philosophy is to eliminate the cheap and easy problems before moving on to the expensive ones.

Old 12-27-2013, 07:07 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by clayton4115
the yellowtop battery D34 i am looking at is $289, if i go to toyota and get it replaced it will cost around the same amount. So i probably take the toyota route?
Proper Yellow top Optima is $170 Sam's or Costco, I checked last week. Donno where you got that price from.

Old 12-27-2013, 07:11 PM
Default Re: 12V dying

Originally Posted by RadioTek
I've had problems with the 12v battery dying, and investigated a replacement. I did a little more 'troubleshooting' and noted that my wife, who is the primary driver, only goes on a few short trips a week. I put a standard battery charger on the battery overnight, and didn't have any more problems until the same conditions re-occurred.

I've determined that the car needs to have some occasional long trips to recharge the 12v battery fully, or it will not boot up properly.

If you are only taking short trips, you could be in the same boat as I. Try a battery charger to top off the 12v battery before going through the expense of a new battery. Eliminate the cheap solutions first, the money for the expensive ones can be more useful elsewhere.

Just my experience, yours may be different.

Wrong. This vehicle charges 12V battery off traction battery via inverter. Battery is continuously charged, as far as traction battery has enough power stored and when voltage drops below a specific threshold for 12V battery.
This vehicle never really 'turns off". It's in continuous standby.
As 12V is not charged off alternator, trip lengths do not really matter.
But for the heck of it, Walmart sells very good battery minders for $19, I just bought one. Desufated mine, took it 5 hrs, and then charged it.

Old 12-27-2013, 07:14 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
Proper Yellow top Optima is $170 Sam's or Costco, I checked last week. Donno where you got that price from.
I am in Australia and this is an Australian website.

Old 12-27-2013, 07:15 PM
Active Enthusiast

when i am driving around i constantly monitor scangauge, it gives me around 14.4V

Old 12-27-2013, 07:16 PM

Somewhere in here I did post how to get into diagnostic mode on nav unit. I think, car has to be in ACC, then press and hold upper left nav screen corner, while flipping light switch on and off several times.
In diagnostic mode, you can log into battery status screen. If it's below 11V, battery is no good.
Got it

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/10...osis-mode.html

http://i54.tinypic.com/25gguqb.jpg

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...is-mode-26811/

Last edited by ukrkoz; 12-27-2013 at 07:18 PM.
Old 12-27-2013, 07:17 PM
Active Enthusiast

i do not have the lux model so i do not have the nav unit with my vehicle.

Old 12-27-2013, 07:18 PM

Sorry, mate. 14.4 is charging Voltage.
Did you try cleaning terminals? My battery is 7 yo and is still going strong.

Old 12-27-2013, 08:43 PM
Active Enthusiast

i have not tried cleaning it yet, what shall i clean the terminals with?

Quick Reply: 12V dieing

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands