Old 01-03-2014, 09:29 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 12V dieing

Originally Posted by clayton4115
can you please recommend to me a battery minder from this site

http://www.myshopping.com.au/ZM--123...ulph_12v_2_4_8

thanks
http://www.myshopping.com.au/GO--1234899286_shopping

This one is overkill for one battery, but I didn't see the single battery, 2amp version on that site.

It will work as well or better but is a bit more expensive.

Cheers,
Jeff

Old 01-08-2014, 06:40 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 12V dying

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
Wrong. This vehicle charges 12V battery off traction battery via inverter. Battery is continuously charged, as far as traction battery has enough power stored and when voltage drops below a specific threshold for 12V battery.
This vehicle never really 'turns off". It's in continuous standby.
As 12V is not charged off alternator, trip lengths do not really matter.
But for the heck of it, Walmart sells very good battery minders for $19, I just bought one. Desufated mine, took it 5 hrs, and then charged it.

I can see where you are coming from, but I'm afraid that you are missing an important point of information about the hybrid system: The inverter system is only charging the 12 v battery while the car is in 'active' mode, such as driving. Otherwise the traction battery would be drawn down excessively to merely keep the 12 v battery charged over long periods of inactivity. Since the procedure for 'jumping' the traction battery is much more involved and expensive, maintaining the charge on the 12 v battery is of secondary importance. Thus, the 12 v battery is only recharged while the car is in 'active' mode.

Since attempting to charge a battery too quickly is hard on both the battery and the charging equipment, the charging of the 12 v battery is done at a pace that won't damage either of those. If the car is in 'active' mode for only short amounts of time, then the equipment doesn't have time to bring the battery back up to full charge. In my situation, my wife only makes a few short trips a couple times a week, so the system doesn't have time to break even, much less fully recharge.

Remember that there is more than just the Smart-Key system that is working when the car is shut down after a trip: How long do the headlights stay on after you turn the car off? Drawing down the 12 v battery. That's a sizable current drain.

I hope that you see what the 'big picture' is, and know what to watch out for. You don't want to get stranded in a grocery store parking lot in Phoenix with a gallon of ice cream and a car that won't 'boot up', like I did this summer. Not fun.

The purpose of a written language is to learn from the mistakes and successes of others, without having to experience the event yourself.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:13 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RadioTek
I can see where you are coming from, but I'm afraid that you are missing an important point of information about the hybrid system: The inverter system is only charging the 12 v battery while the car is in 'active' mode, such as driving. Otherwise the traction battery would be drawn down excessively to merely keep the 12 v battery charged over long periods of inactivity. Since the procedure for 'jumping' the traction battery is much more involved and expensive, maintaining the charge on the 12 v battery is of secondary importance. Thus, the 12 v battery is only recharged while the car is in 'active' mode.

Since attempting to charge a battery too quickly is hard on both the battery and the charging equipment, the charging of the 12 v battery is done at a pace that won't damage either of those. If the car is in 'active' mode for only short amounts of time, then the equipment doesn't have time to bring the battery back up to full charge. In my situation, my wife only makes a few short trips a couple times a week, so the system doesn't have time to break even, much less fully recharge.

Remember that there is more than just the Smart-Key system that is working when the car is shut down after a trip: How long do the headlights stay on after you turn the car off? Drawing down the 12 v battery. That's a sizable current drain.

I hope that you see what the 'big picture' is, and know what to watch out for. You don't want to get stranded in a grocery store parking lot in Phoenix with a gallon of ice cream and a car that won't 'boot up', like I did this summer. Not fun.

The purpose of a written language is to learn from the mistakes and successes of others, without having to experience the event yourself.
Then what purpose does the alternator serve? Seems redundant if the 12v gets recharged by the drive batt and the drive batt gets recharged by the Hybrid system.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jeffjmr
Then what purpose does the alternator serve? Seems redundant if the 12v gets recharged by the drive batt and the drive batt gets recharged by the Hybrid system.
Our hybrids do not have an alternator. The only way the 12V gets charged is from the inverter.