12volt Battery Update

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 07:31 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default 12volt Battery Update

I did the 5000 oil change and service yesterday and thought I'd ask their parts dept about the 12v trunk battery. They looked it up, but it gave no description as to the type of battery it was. When I asked him the price - he stated it cost $850 as a replacement part. WOW -- $850.00 - its not a Glass Mat Battery - its a GOLD Mat Battery.. Would someone else please call their dealer and verify - this can't be right !

Old 12-22-2006, 07:50 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 12volt Battery Update

Your sure they looked up the 12V battery and not the big battery pack, also in the trunk?

Old 12-22-2006, 08:03 AM
Active Enthusiast

Oh yes - made sure of that - the big boy was $3000 plus .....

Old 12-22-2006, 08:07 AM
Dazed and Confused

For $850, I could but 7 Optima batteries that are just as good if not better. Don't think a stock battery will be going in my car when it is time to replace it.

Old 12-22-2006, 09:01 AM
Active Enthusiast

Is there anything special about the stock battery (besides the "special" price!)?

Old 12-22-2006, 09:11 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KC Rusty
I did the 5000 oil change and service yesterday and thought I'd ask their parts dept about the 12v trunk battery. They looked it up, but it gave no description as to the type of battery it was. When I asked him the price - he stated it cost $850 as a replacement part. WOW -- $850.00 - its not a Glass Mat Battery - its a GOLD Mat Battery.. Would someone else please call their dealer and verify - this can't be right !
You must have miunderstood what he said more like $85.00 for that size battery. I have bought over 10 AGM batteries in the last 5 years and have never paid over $129 for the largest down to $65 for the AGM ATV battery.

Old 12-22-2006, 09:52 AM
SPL
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

KC Rusty — According to page 4 of Toyota's TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) PD020-06, posted to this group by schmidtj, the battery is (to quote Toyota):

"The Camry HV auxiliary battery is a special Valve Regulated Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) design and should NEVER be replaced with a conventional battery design."

So, I believe that the information you have been given is incorrect. According to the Parts Manager at my local (Waterloo, Ontario) dealership, the replacement battery costs C$441, installation extra. At current exchange rates this is ~US$375 — expensive, but not totally off the wall. It's still under warranty anyway.

Stan

Old 12-22-2006, 09:55 AM
Toyota & Mazda Enthusiast

EDIT: Since I wasn't very familar with the special type of 12V battery used in our vehicles, I bite my tongue on this one and really thank "SPL" for his clarification. New technology = stiff learning curve!! It would be interesting to see how long it lasts in our hybrids -- my guess is 5-7+ years. Oh well, I'll deal with it when the time is right. Maybe going OEM on this battery is a safer bet since it is an integral part of the hybrid system! I just hope it never leaks!

Last edited by martinmzfan; 12-22-2006 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Bit my tongue
Old 12-22-2006, 10:21 AM
SPL
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

martinmzfan — The TCH's 12-volt auxiliary battery does not need Cold Cranking Amp capability, since it isn't used to start the car — that's done by MG1 using the high-voltage battery. But, it does need the ability to be deep discharged without suffering severe damage like a normal lead-acid battery would. The AGM type of battery is designed for this type of service. Moreover, since it's inside the car (well, in the trunk actually, but it's certainly not in the engine compartment), it must not vent gases into the cabin. This type of battery is designed with this feature too. I think you should be very careful before replacing it with a battery of a different type, both for your safety and for battery longevity.

Stan

Old 12-23-2006, 02:21 PM
Enthusiast

Notice the factory battery is warranty for 84 months or 7 years so no one should need to fret it.
TrueStart Batteries
Why your battery should be a Genuine Toyota Replacement:
  • The only warranty replacement battery approved for your Toyota vehicle.
  • Meets or exceeds Toyota specifications for all vehicles.
  • The exceptional 84-Month Warranty!
  • 24-month FREE Replacement.
  • 60-month proration in a simple two tier priced plan.
  • Includes Towing and Installation Labor. [1]
  • Coast-to-Coast warranty service at more than 1,200 locations!
Features Include:
  • Matrix Radial Grids to help your battery meet today's high current starting demands.
  • The right balance of Cold Cranking Amps and Reserve Capacity to provide power and cranking ability time after time.
  • A patented lead alloy feature that reduces corrosion of lead parts and extends the life of your battery.
  • A Negative Plate Paste Expander that reduces damage caused by high under-hood temperature or extreme heat.
True-2 Batteries

Quick Reply: 12volt Battery Update

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands