20,000 Mile Service - What Should It Cost?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 04:43 PM
Super Moderator
Default Re: 20,000 Mile Service - What Should It Cost?

Now I know I am in the wrong business.......

Old 12-26-2008, 05:03 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rodsouza
FILTER S/A, OIL *****
GASKET *****
OIL CASTROL 5/30 $14.15

Rod

Another case of dealer without a clue - and not paying attention. The TCH (and others in the current Camry line) calls for 0W20 or 5W20.

Glad I'm not the only one with a clueless dealer.

Old 12-26-2008, 08:55 PM
Super Moderator

I just noticed they charged you for a gasket???? The V6 has a cartridge filter with a separate gasket but the I4 is a spin on filter. Surely they don't call a crush washer on the drain plug a "gasket" do they?

Old 12-26-2008, 10:50 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

They didn't even install synthetic oil for that big price they charged you. Maybe not as good of quality but I would try Walmart's Automotive Center. Oil change used to be like $10 labor, maybe $15 now plus the price of the oil and filter. It's best to buy the filter from your Toyota dealer. Tell walmart you placed the filter in the seat to be used for the oil change..

I have used walmart for years on my tire rotation and balance. They have good up to date balancing machines to use. I paid $29 for their 'lifetime' tire rotate and balance when I bought my new TCH over a year ago. They also do a tread depth on each tire every time I have the tire service done, at 5000 miles.

It's easy to check your own fluids. The larger plastic radiator container is to the left when you open the hood. You will see a plastic neck near it coming up through the fender well. That's the windshield washer fluid fill cap. It should be near half full all the time.

The pink fluid in the small container is important as that cools your inverter and one or both of the electric motors in the gear housing. It's located to the right of the engine a little toward the radiator.

The brake fluid container can be seen on the firewall on the drivers side. That's about all the shops do.

You can have a air cleaner or cabin filter replaced at many auto shops. I buy mine from the toyota dealer and do them myself. You can buy the Purolator brand which makes the toyota filters in America. The best oil filter is the Pure One by Purolator.
Pep Boys and Advanced Automotive sells them.

Last edited by rburt07; 12-26-2008 at 10:57 PM.
Old 12-26-2008, 11:18 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

It looks from the wording on the bill that all they did in the course of rotating tires was take a cursory look at the "breaks", ie: they did no dissassemble/clean/lube. And IMHO these "multi-point" inspections are mostly manure. So in a nutshell they changed your oil, rotated the tires (and eyeballed the brakes), and replaced the cabin filter. Sounds a little steep. I'd:

1. Talk to them, see if they're willing stick to the book, and reign in the "multi-point inspections". If they are resistant, approach another dealership, if possible. Otherwise, grit your teeth, stay with them, and try to get the message across that you will not tolerate superfluous extras.

2. Consider doing the oil changes, brake inspections and tire rotations yourself, if possible. An enclosed garage, four safety stands and a floor jack are virtual necessities. Plus a socket wrench, various sockets, a socket extension or two, torque wrench, oil-drain pan, good sized funnel and oil filter socket (or some fits-all filter wrench). The shop manual is also very handy, particularly for the brakes.

Also, I've never heard of "cleaning" a typical car filter. A K&N yes, but the disposables are not supposed to be cleaned I think, just replaced, at specified interval.

Last edited by Mendel Leisk; 12-27-2008 at 08:09 AM. Reason: spelling