2007 Camry Hybrid - BOTH front struts need replaced!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 06:45 AM
Enthusiast
Default 2007 Camry Hybrid - BOTH front struts need replaced!

I have a 07 Camry Hybrid. I purchased it new ~ Feb 17 2007. It has 33,300 miles on it. I brought it in for the VA State inspection this past Monday May 3. The inspection shop siad BOTH front struts were leaking and suggested I take it to the dealer as the car is fairly new. I bring it to the Toyo dealer where I bought it and sure enough they verified both are leaking. But it is ~ 2 months out of the 36 month warranty so they informed me it will be ~$800!!! I called Toyo HQ and opened a case with them; the rep was very pleasant and agreed that it is unusual for a car with this low mileage to have any strut issues. I drive it mostly on the highway so the miles are 'easy rolling'.. Anyway, I have to front the money then hopes that Toyo agrees to reimburse me. Anyone ever hear of this issue? Anyone ever have Toyota repay you for something?

Old 05-06-2010, 08:58 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2007 Camry Hybrid - BOTH front struts need replaced!

I wouldn't hold my breath on Toyota picking up anything. Japanese KYB front struts for this car are $80 a piece online. Maybe an hour labor to put them in the car. You can even do it yourself if you are so inclined.

Old 05-07-2010, 05:11 AM
Engineering Professor

My local mechanic (Shell, not Toyota) quoted $750 to replace all four struts in my Prius (similar KYB struts) at 172,000 miles. They are replacing the top strut bearings as well which may not be required in your low mileage case.

JeffD

Old 05-10-2010, 10:56 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I would first clean off the oil indications, drive the car another month or so and see if the "sign" persists. Oil change shops are quite famous at squirting a little oil on the struts and then the next time you come in...these are desparate times, even (s,d)ealers.+

Old 11-19-2010, 05:08 PM
Enthusiast

i have an 07 Hybrid as well. I did get a notice from my Mechanic that I do need new struts in the front as well. I actually came in to get my brakes replaced and they said the shocks needs to be replaced and not the breaks. I'm not noticing any performance problems with the struts. I have 111K miles already. How do you guys know that the struts are going bad? Is there a test that I can do myself? Thank you.

Old 11-19-2010, 06:14 PM
Super Moderator

Take a look at this entire thread:

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...arranty-24355/

Old 11-19-2010, 08:14 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I have 90k on my car, took it to the dealer for checkup before 100k warranty expires and they said everything is fine, so 30k is unusual, especially that some roads here look like after carpet bombing and I don't baby the car. One way to see if struts are failing is to look for oil leaks, another one is to push hard down on hood above each tire and see if it bounces (it shouldn't more than once). I agree they could be taking you for a ride and if they really need replacing then buy online and find some mechanic to put it in for you (actually find mechanic first, I didn't check TCH, but usually you need to compress them before installation and that could be tricky without tools). It is much more likely the struts could fail after 100k and after 150k I would change them just for sake of it, but not 30k. As far as Toyota, I would argue with them that struts should go by miles not time, they shouldn't wear out just sitting there on the car and your mileage is still bellow 36k, but I would try to get some commitment from them before doing anything with dealer. IMO $800 for two struts is theft.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:08 PM
Active Enthusiast

Like others have said, 30K is WAAAAY too early. I suspect you may have had some minor seepage, or as has been suggested, you had some 'help' at a local shop.

If you can reach the struts with your hand or a pressure washer, I would remove whatever is there, drive the car another six months and see if the problem returns. Also, I would check the struts just BEFORE going into any shop that you have used before for oil changes or other maintenance. If the leaking shows up while in the shop for other work, you have found your 'leak.'

At best, I would be surprised if Toyota offers more than 50% coverage on the struts. And, of course, the dealer is going to also recommend a $150 alignment after the struts are installed.

As others have suggested, this whole deal smells fishy.

Old 11-21-2010, 06:06 AM
Active Enthusiast

Anytime anyone questions the value of an extended warranty, they should be referred to this thread.

Toyota is pretty good about these kinds of things. I am sure you will make out well.

Old 11-23-2010, 10:40 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ppgroup
Anytime anyone questions the value of an extended warranty, they should be referred to this thread.

Toyota is pretty good about these kinds of things. I am sure you will make out well.
This has not been my experience. I purchased the full-chump-retail; super-duper platinum, iridium, plutonium, extended warranty package, and I found it to be as worthless as the flimsy plastic card they sent me in the mail.

I canceled and refunded mine immediately after the first 3 rounds with those jackals at the stealership, then the "customer care" or whatever in Torrance. Total ripoff in my estimation.

My struts are shot too. I'll be putting new ones in shortly, spending only one fourth the cost of that stupid warranty. Custom suspension, all new parts, installed by the guy who drives it.

Quick Reply: 2007 Camry Hybrid - BOTH front struts need replaced!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands