2007 Camry Hybrid Navigation Died

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 08:18 AM
Enthusiast
Default 2007 Camry Hybrid Navigation Died

I have a 2007 Camry Hybrid Navigation that died.

The following chain of events occurred:

Car was turned on, but in E-Mode.

Nav display had mileage screen on.

The screen went black.

The screen still has touch sensitivity, I can eject discs by hitting the eject button and then touching the screen where the disc number buttons should be.

I think under very low light I can see a faint vision of on screen icons.

It looks like the backlight is no longer getting power.

It is not the display on/off button, pressing every button brings no change.

The car is no longer under the warranty (33,000 miles, but over 36 months old.)

My assumption is that the backlight has a seperate wire from the screen display, and has either shorted or is not connected. I am going to pull the nav unit, and then try to start troubleshooting it.

My questions are:

If I brought this to the dealership, are they going to troubleshoot the nav, or simply want to charge me 3 grand for a new one? If it's the latter, I have nothing to lose by digging into it to troubleshoot myself.

That said, I have seen the thread where a backup camera is installed, which I will primarily be referencing, but I am wondering if anyone has had this issue before, and what the resolution was.

Further, does anyone have schematics for the Nav unit itself?

Old 02-17-2011, 10:41 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2007 Camry Hybrid Navigation Died

Originally Posted by jswjr600
If I brought this to the dealership, are they going to troubleshoot the nav, or simply want to charge me 3 grand for a new one? ...
Call and ask. There might be a silent recall (Toyota might be aware that some units have failed and will be willing to replace). In addition, you can ask what a diagnostic and replacement would cost.

Last edited by haroldo; 02-17-2011 at 10:48 AM.
Old 02-18-2011, 01:03 PM
Enthusiast

Went by Joe Heitz Toyota in Clarksville, TN today. Service guy said that the most likely scenario would be to bring it in, they remove the nav unit and send it off to be repaired. Ballpark of $600 and 2-4 weeks turnaround time.

I am bringing it in Tuesday to see if we can do some troubleshooting before removal, but I am guessing the above is what is likely to happen.

$600 is certainly better than $3200, however it would be very frustrating to drop $600 so that a 25 cent relay or $10 bulb can get swapped out in 15 minutes.

Old 02-19-2011, 02:00 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Buy a Gramin.

Old 02-19-2011, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by UWAdventurer
Buy a Gramin.
The problem is that the Nav screen is used to control a number of key systems including climate control and stereo. It's not just for navigation.

Old 02-19-2011, 06:58 PM
Pragmatist

I have occasionally seen these units offered on ebay for considerably less than the dealer wants.

The hybrid nav unit is different from the non-hybrid, so if you decide to get another, make sure you are getting the right one.

There is a thread in this forum about how to install them, and exactly what parts are needed. Search the forum for threads containing "E7011".

Old 02-21-2011, 05:08 AM

I didn't get nav on mine seemed like an un-necessary expense. The car is complex enough without it, and I have a Garmin.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:14 AM
Active Enthusiast

Get it fixed and enjoy your vehicle as it was designed to be used. If this is your only out-of-warranty repair, its really not too bad.

Last edited by ppgroup; 02-21-2011 at 09:19 AM.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:36 AM
Enthusiast

Alright, went by the dealer today.

They do not have a repair facility, and their solution was a $4,300 replacement. Suffice to say I am not going that route. Not the dealership's fault, I can see where it would not be fiscally viable for them to undertake trying to repair it.

So, my next two courses of action:

First, I am going to remove the LCD screen from the nav unit. Because the radio and cd changer functions, and the screen has retained its touch sensitivity, I believe it may simply be a backlight bulb which has burnt out. If I can dissassemble the screen, I may find a solution.

The second option is that on the back side of the LCD screen itself, there is a part number (which I cannot remember off hand) and a made in mexico sticker. I will see if I can find a source for this part number.

Either case, I think would be less expensive than a new unit.

If neither of those presents a working solution, I will find a non-hybrid nav (all over ebay for under $500) and use that, accepting that I will lose the hybrid screen functionality.

As for this being my only out of warranty repair...well, at 40 months and 33,000 miles, I think a $4,300 repair is quite disasterous. I could probably replace a transmission for that. I understand the increased complexity involved with electronic systems...but I would also expect a maintenance program to support component repair, and not simply replacement.

Old 02-22-2011, 01:53 PM
Active Enthusiast

Is this something the extended warranty would cover?

Maybe the extra $1,000 or so would be a good investment after all.

Quick Reply: 2007 Camry Hybrid Navigation Died

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands