2012 Camry Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 09:34 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2012 Camry Hybrid

are they kidding? as in designers...

Well, my dealer just got back to me on this. They said that all 2012 Camrys, no matter which model, have the same display type showing all 4 tires in a row. They also said it's not possible to know which tire pressure symbol on the display corresponds to which actual tire. That's because with tire rotation, the transponder would be out of synch with the display if it did show that.

So the answer is if 1 or more tires shows low on the display, you have to go out there and physically check each tire to find out which tire (or tires) needs more air.

My dealer confirms the inability to know which tire has what air pressure via the Tire Pressure Monitor Display. In fact, my dealer states the display reports the first tire sensor reporting its pressure and adds the pressures as each sensor reports. And they don't always report in the same order each time. So rotated or not, it is a guesser's guesting game at best. Someone fell asleep at the programming and display station on this one.

Old 12-10-2011, 12:19 PM

The tire sensors can be reset to read each tire location correctly. Ford uses a magnet and some step by step procedure using the dash display. I do remember a hand held meter that would reset the sensors correctly after tire rotation. The meter I once saw cost over $400 which was years ago. I don't worry with which TPMS is on which wheel.

The 4 tire display may be on the new 2012 models. The 2007 TCH I drive only shows a single low tire warning which I have never seen come on while driving, although it will light anytime I start the car. The yellow indicator looks similar to this on the instrument panel. (!)

Last edited by rburt07; 12-10-2011 at 12:21 PM.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
.... They said that all 2012 Camrys, no matter which model, have the same display type showing all 4 tires in a row. They also said it's not possible to know which tire pressure symbol on the display corresponds to which actual tire. ... [/I]
Not a huge issue, IMHO.
If a tire is low enough to trigger the warning, a quick visual inspection can determine which is the culprit. Further, checking the air pressure on the others (assuming you guessed incorrectly) isn't bad, since you might learn that one of the other tires is down a few pounds.
Yeah, we live in an ultra high tech world where we expect precise information, but I'd prefer them to get the "rear light out" indicator to tell me which bulb failed (more of a PITA...especially if you're doing it alone) before they perfect the TPMS

Old 12-16-2011, 05:49 PM

from an honest guy who test drove it:

Driving impressions of the 2012 Camry Hybrid XLE
Hey everyone. First let me say, how much I really enjoy this site..very informative. After having two Priuses I now own a 2010 TCH bought new and is nearly 2 years old now. I absolutely LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, my car. However, I decided I would consider purchasing a 2012, not that I needed it, but I wanted it. My wonderful dealer in my small town where I bought my '10 from finally got a '12 XLE in, and let me take it for a spin recently.

Here are my impressions:

The first noticeable difference is it has slightly more pep than my '10.
The ride, however, is not as good. It could be because the XLE had those awful Bridgestones and I have Michelin Primacys.

The salesperson touted the '12 has these aerodynamic little fins attached all around the vehicle for more stability, especially in the wake of tractor trailers on the interstate. Well, the '12 was buffeted more than my '10.

The '12 does seem to get better gas mileage, but not enough to really wow me. The '12 is lighter and actually feels like it. I prefer the heavier feel of my '10.

The '12 does not have the temp control on the steering wheel, nor the auto windows all around.

The instrument cluster on the '12 is somewhat confusing upon first glance. It's not as clean as the '10.

I was definitely not impressed by the Entune system. The navigation component is basically like a Garmin you attach to the dash. I fully expected it override the radio when giving directions, but it did not, as most in car navs offer. The apps feature offered many things I would probably never use. I have never connected an iPod to my car in the nearly two years I've owned it. I do use the bluetooth freature, however.

The '12 was as comfortable to drive as my '10. I am 6'5, so space is important.

There was lots of wind noise from the moonroof. My '10 does not have a moonroof, which is what I prefer...one solid piece of metal (less to rattle and break).

The '12 does have a button to deactivate the traction control, which the '10 does not. I know lots of people have inquired about deactivating the system. I guess Toyota listened.

Overall, in my opinion, the '12 is a great vehicle worth considering, and I am still considering trading. But, its not something I am saying I just gotta have. Toyota has built a quality car as usual, but I think I really missing the wow factor that simply blows me away.

I would love to hear other opinions on this vehicle. Thanks so much in advance for reading.

Happiest of Holidays!!!!!!!

Old 12-16-2011, 06:15 PM
Enthusiast

This review mirrors what I have observed with my new 2012 Hybrid.
http://www.hybridcars.com/compacts-s...-overview.html

I thought the 2012 vs. the 2007 was rather stark. The big differences I noticed were a) seamless transition between EV mode and engine; b) Mileage. I drive 16 miles each way on a trip and I have been getting 52mpg. Never got that on my previous model; c) Rides quieter than previous model (which is amazing since I thought the previous model was great).
MY ONLY WISH...memory seats to match seating position for two different drivers.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:44 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by newfdude
MY ONLY WISH...memory seats to match seating position for two different drivers.
Amen!

Oh, and folding side mirrors!

Old 12-20-2011, 09:31 PM
Enthusiast

Well then...only memory seats remain! The 2012 does have folding side mirrors.

Old 12-21-2011, 02:04 PM
Enthusiast
Thumbs up 2012 Camry Hybrid XLE, Entune/Nav, Convinience - NO MOONROOF

Originally Posted by rburt07
Those are impressive mpg numbers for the cold weather. I drive a 2007 TCH and will estimate your 50 mpg should drop to around 46/47 mpg by the time your down to 1/4 tank of gas.

The display difference on the 2007 TCH was about 1 1/2 gallon less than the calculated method. I had lots of trouble getting a reliable calculate number when buying from various stations with unlevel driveways. I have used the mfd readout for all, but the first 6 months when I bought the new '07.

The 2007 TCH with the new mpg rating was about 33/34/34 city, comb, highway mpg. Although many could get 40 mpg combined. The 2012 XLE Camry hybrid is EPA rated at 40/39/39, city, combined, highway. Not sure why but both sites showed the same mpg for comb and highway.

So basically most were getting 7 mpg higher than the combined EPA numbers. I would think with the more efficient 2012 you should be able to get around 46 to 47 mpg combined above the EPA estimate. My guess more like 50 + mpg as a challange once the engine is completely broke in. The 50+ would be more when the weather warms up.

I also noticed on a gas powered 2012 XLE at our local dealer came with the new Michelin Energy Saver a/s tires with the green dot symbol. These tires are good for a 8% increase in mpg. The non-hybrid LE I saw came with Bridgestone tires.

If you new XLE came with the Saver tires I would suggest you run them at 40 psi cold with nitrogen. They should come with nitrogen, check the valve-stem tips for the green dot. Mine ride fine using 40 psi cold. I have the dealer over inflate them to 44 psi then at night at home I let them down to the desired pressure. Not sure why but I find that nitrogen filled tires seem to ride smoother.

I want a XLE, but the sales manager said it would come with the moon-roof. No problem, but i'm 6' 4" tall and if I loose a inch in the ceiling that may be a problem for me. Something about the XLE comes with Navigation or it was the new Entune which may include the moon-roof and maybe the auto-dimming mirror with compass.
Thu last week got my 2012 Camry Hybrid XLE. Just wanted to quickly comment that I was looking to have no moonroof (I am only 6' but I hate it for other reasons). My dealer got a special order (preference - i.e. from the dealer allocation of the TCH - which he got 2 XLEs, this was done back in Oct - showing what options the build will be vs. the standard decided by the regional dealer which, in all various options trims for the TCH include the moonroof, cannot get JBL or leather or blind spot monitor without moonroof per Toyota configuration constrains though but I do not need those anyway).

Looks nice.. first 100 miles or so getting 42-43 MPGs. Will try to report more as I go.

By the way, financial manager at the dealership put a slight pressure for me to buy extras such as warranty extension (5 or 6 years at 100K/125K), service (5 yr/75K) and a bunch of other smaller additions. Have rejected them all, including the etching. I think these are not worth to have - but just an opinion based on my reading and researching.

Picture taken at the dealership when I got the car:

Good luck to all - go get this one its great!

Old 01-26-2012, 10:14 PM
Enthusiast

After about 800 miles I am learning how to drive more economically. With Southern California freeway congestion comes better fuel economy, allowing the TCH to run in electric mode for a good portion of the miles. In the last two days, I am running about 50mpg for about my 50+ mile commute.
Henry

Old 01-27-2012, 03:49 AM
Active Enthusiast

And what has your overall average been for the 800 miles?

I test drove the 2012 TCH last night and pretty much agree with ukrkoz's comments.

Is it worth the switch from a pre 2012 TCH to the 2012 based on fuel efficiency only? From a money standpoint no - If you drive 20k miles a year, you will likely only save a few hundred dollars a year.

Are there other reason's to trade up? Yes. The 2012 is without a doubt a great vehicle. But I don't think there are enough improvements/changes for me to make the change from my 09 TCH. Maybe the next generation TCH!

Last edited by ppgroup; 01-27-2012 at 05:31 PM.

Quick Reply: 2012 Camry Hybrid

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands