2012 Camry Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 07:46 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 2012 Camry Hybrid

Actually, I am at 1,169 miles and at 45.4mpg overall. I expect it to get better now that I know the FE techniques. I did bump up the air pressure in the tires.

I compared it to my friend's 2010 TCH and the larger trunk, more power, better handling and more mpg (per the reviews) convinced me to get the '12.

Henry

Old 01-29-2012, 10:23 AM
Enthusiast

I think the real question is would you wait for a 2013 fusion over the 12 Camry. I have an 07 Camry, and its replacement will be used. 2013 fusion hybrid should get 49 city 44 highway, and be ev capable to 62 MPH. That is the killer. Plus li-ion batteries means less weight and good trunk space.

Old 01-29-2012, 11:26 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Although the new 2012 does get much better gas mileage, I rather wait to see if Toyota ups their mpg on next 2013 TCH I hope later this year. My guess, it may have lithium batteries and more amps to up the mpg to meet or exceed Fords 2013 Fusion at approx 48 city.

Here were I live I would not buy the Ford Fusion. The reason being Ford here is a small dealership and I doubt their Certified mechanic is that good on working on their hybrid.

I personally know the Certified mechanic at the local Toyota dealership. He has worked at that dealership for 12 years and is a excellent mechanic. He knows the hybrid very well and has been to all the hybrid schools in Phoenix to keep up with Toyota's technology.

The TCH should bring more money on trade or for sale than the Fusion Hybrid. I saw some pictures of the 2013 Fusion (motor trend) and it looks like a cross from the front of a new Dodge (large mouth grill) and maybe a mix of a Mustang.

At least Toyota is smart enough not to make erratic changes to it's Camry look. This reminds me of when Ford took their hot selling square body Taurus and made a new model with rounded off everything, including the rear window and even the dash. Sales dropped fast and the Camry sales took over ruled from then on.

I always wanted a Camry due to it's popularity but could not afford one at the time. I save over the years driving a Corolla. When the hybrid version came out for this very popular car in 2007, I could not wait to buy one. It's definitely the best car I have ever owned.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:56 PM
Enthusiast
Default further experimenting with 2012 Camry Hybrid

Drove 150 miles over 5300' pass twice, and over hilly and flat at 60 deg F, mostly at 3000' generally moving with traffic but slowing down when the road was clear. Able to get EV mode at higher speeds than I thought possible. Averaged 44 MPG. Found all the dash metering/instruments to be helpful and 'disp'ed a lot. The pictorial of the engine-battery-wheels is the most instantaneous and often the shift between battery in and battery out signals changes that cannot be sensed without it although the ECO meter probably signifies this change as well. Watching the instruments can be addictive so if you have air pilot training, remember to look outside every once in awhile:-)

Old 02-02-2012, 11:22 AM

I read somewhere the other day where Toyota was saying just how trouble free their nickle-hydride battery packs were. I read this when looking to see if the new Prius would include the new Lithium pack which I think I read, it will. Their was also a mention of a price increase for the Prius due to the more expensive battery.

Old 02-02-2012, 03:39 PM
Active Enthusiast

The Prius Plug-in is slated to have Li-Ion batteries. Whether the lithium ion batteries will be as trouble free and last as long as current battery packs remains to be seen.

Last edited by ppgroup; 02-12-2012 at 10:12 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:15 PM

and I just drove this from Tracy, CA, to Seattle. You have no idea what we are missing. Germans must have had their fingers in this all through. Car is NICE.
Of course, the arguably bigger news comes in a smaller package - a 2.4-liter EcoTec package paired with a mild-hybrid system GM has dubbed "eAssist." eAssist makes use of a 115-volt lithium-ion battery, paired to a 15-kilowatt electric motor that is capable of producing 15 horsepower and 79 lb-ft of torque - putting total output at 182 horsepower and 172 lb-ft of torque.

The system also makes use of regenerative braking, which combined results in a 25 percent increase in fuel economy to 25 city, 36 highway.

In addition to this mild hybrid technology, Buick also equipped the latest LaCrosse with Start-Stop engine technology, which seamlessly powers down the engine at idle to conserve fuel, despite current EPA regulations failing to reflect savings in fuel economy ratings. Rounding out the changes that make these fuel economy figures possible is a six-speed automatic transmission, underbody aerodynamic tweaking and low-rolling resistance tires.

I now can't even look at my cars. That Buick is very nice inside. And it drives.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:28 AM
Enthusiast

I really wanted a 2013 Fusion HBV but I needed a hybrid now. I drove the Insight, Civic, Prius, Camry, and Volt.... I bought the Camry.

I had my 2012 Camry XLE HB next to my friends 2010.... The 12 has a smoother profile, n bulges in the hood or trunk. Also the trunk has a little more space, as pointed out by the dealer. So far I am averaging about 38 MPG combined. I just drove 215 miles this morning, and my calculated econ all highway was 38.9mpg. Interesting enough my display says 38.7mpg so it is darn close IMHO.

My best rural/city mileage has been 47.

This car is comfortable, I was going to get the Prius but my wife hated how small it was. This new Camry is perfect for my 200 mileage round trip daily commute.

The things I have found I don't like are:
The Bluetooth tends to disconnect every hour or so...

You can not hand dial a phone number or access your contacts address book from the Nav display over 15 mph.... Speed dials or voice dial only...

XM forecast will only be access from under 10 mph... it will stay up once you access it though.

All the apps work fine with my android, but I feel they are not as useful as the Toyota engineers may think they are... how about some real apps like maintenance logbook, fuel econ, and ability to unlock and start the car from your phone (Like the Volt)...

Having said all that I would buy this car again in a heartbeat...

Old 02-20-2012, 10:38 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jason Nipp
Having said all that I would buy this car again in a heartbeat...
+100.

I bought the LE hybrid and I love it.

Old 03-13-2012, 06:44 PM
Enthusiast

I've been looking to replace my 07 Honda Civic Hybrid for awhile now. Honda's new civic hybrid is more expensive than the last and a bit of a let down not addressing the previous (my) models short comings. This Camry, though a bigger car seems to be giving better economy results real world, better equiped, and generally more appealing. I'll do some more research.

Quick Reply: 2012 Camry Hybrid

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands