2012 Camry Hybrid Specs

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 11:16 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default 2012 Camry Hybrid Specs

page way down when the site opens, click the link, click here to download the article.

http://pressroom.toyota.com/releases...duct+specs.htm

Last edited by rburt07; 08-27-2011 at 12:57 AM.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:46 PM
Default Re: 2012 Camry Hybrid Specs

why are you creating a new thread every time you see something about the 2012?

why not have on thread with all the info on the 2012 and just add new items as replies?

Old 08-26-2011, 09:13 PM

Strange specs: it says electric motor has 105kW and 199 lb-ft torque, that's 140 HP, doesn't our TCH have 40 HP electric motor or is it similar high powered motor with 40 HP limit when powered off battery? Can't remember anymore. That type of power is good to power the car without any direct ICE assist even on highway. Also 140 + 156 HP ICE, that's 296 HP, I guess the battery has way too low voltage and you would need ICE generating electricity to get rated 200HP total, loosing 96 HP on the way. I guess they switching gasoline powered car with electric motor assistance to electric driven car with gasoline engine assist? The way they're going next generation will probably be like a Volt, electric car with gas engine just to charge battery.
This is Camry Hybrid forum and new model introduction will generate quiet few new threads, even if they all have similar content.
Finally folding mirrors.

Old 08-27-2011, 01:16 AM

The 156 hp Atkinson engine + 44 hp electric would give us the 200 hp for the new TCH. Your right, the earlier models were 40 hp electric. From my findings the new traction battery has 204 cells, 1.2 volts each at 6.5 amp hr. It still comes out to the same 244.8 volts as the earlier models. It could be as I have read, the new inverter being more efficient than before. The batteries have a new cooling method that keeps them cooler than in the past.

I can't find the EV power output for the 2012 model. It has to be 44 hp. The earlier engine was 147 hp and the new one at 156 hp. That's 9 hp increase in power. The 2011 total power was 187 hp and the new one at 200. That's 13 hp total increase in hp, 9 of that from the improved engine and 4 more from the electric.

The engine power increase was from improving the head intake and the exhaust ports for the hp increase, including 18 more pounds of torque.

I did find this to be of interest from another of the many reviews on the new TCH.

An improved regenerative braking system that converts more braking energy into electricity over an expanded operating range.

Old 08-27-2011, 01:26 AM

We may never see a direct electric motor to wheel powered car. I think of a diesel train engine and how it works for it's very high torque from those many direct connected electric motors that propel the train.

If they did that in a automobile, the motors would have to be waterproofed, dust proof, and also constantly cooled being close to the ground. Using direct drive motors it would be much more difficult to retrieve ac/dc power back to recharge the traction battery. The cars ice would have to run near all the time just to keep the traction battery charged due to the constant drain of the two electric motors propelling the car along.

I have seen the huge diesel engine and generator inside a diesel locomotive. I don't know the engines horsepower, but it's massive in size and has lots of low rpm torque to drive it's generator.

I still think the ultimate hybrid would be a small diesel ice coupled with the electric. The diesel puts out lots of torque and so does the electric motor. One could only guess how high the city mpg would be with a combo like that.

I wish Toyota would do away with the wind resistant, noisy side mirrors. With the digital quality, wide angle cameras of today, it would be easy to place a small tv camera in a opening in the side body of the car. I have experimented for years on various cars and when you speed from 50 to 60 mph, here comes the mirror wind noise. To me it's horrible at 70 mph. Some cars the mirror wind noise is worse than others, although the wind resistance most likely is similar.

I used to own a 81 VW diesel Rabbit. I could get 60 to 65 mpg 'highway', only if I folded the side mirrors flat to the body. I remember that little diesel engine was only 50 hp. It would pull the AC and the car easily. With the AC off I could keep up with the 80 and 85 hp gas powered cars as the diesel had lots of torque. It's compression was a whopping 25:1.

Last edited by rburt07; 08-28-2011 at 03:42 AM.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:37 PM

Hybrid System Net Horsepower 200 horsepower

yes, 105Kw is 140 HP. must be a typo.

never saw a motor wheel on a car?

Jaguar's C-X75 concept was the most stunning car unveiled at the 2010 Paris motor show. Along with its sleek exterior, it boasted a hybrid power train, mixing electric motors and microturbines that would make it go from 0 to 60 mph in 3.4 seconds. Now Jaguar says it will build a limited production run of 250 vehicles.

We often see concept cars at auto shows and wish the automakers would actually build them. In this case, Jaguar is granting our wish, sort of.

Jaguar C-X75 hybrid concept (photos)

The company pledged to keep the body style of the concept, a low, exotic-looking car that should fit well with the McLarens, Paganis, and Gumperts of the world. Jaguar will work with Williams F1, a racing team, to develop a carbon fiber chassis for the car.

The concept featured electric motors at each wheel, a power-train design Jaguar will keep. It also used two microturbines as generators to keep juice flowing to the motors. That part of the design, alas, won't happen. Tata, Jaguar's parent company, is working with Bladon Jets to develop microturbines for use in cars, but that technology is not ready for prime time.

Instead, the production C-X75 will use a compact gas engine as a generator. Think Chevy Volt. That arrangement may not be as interesting as the concept, but at least it will allow the car to come to production. Those microturbines looked very cool under the car's back glass, and the engine generator won't have nearly the same visual impact.

Still, Jaguar says the C-X75 will actually hit 60 mph in less than 3 seconds, and will have a pure electric range of over 30 miles. Top speed will be 200 mph, yet its CO2 emissions will only be 99 grams/kilometer.

Read more: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7...#ixzz1WHNaaQaR

as afar as I remember, those motor wheels do 190 plus HP each.

Old 08-28-2011, 04:29 AM

Diesel Locomotive:

Now that I think about it were already using a similar traction motor technology. The hybrid method is best as we can deliver power to the ground from a dc battery source with the ice off. With the diesel engine the ice runs all the time generating ac voltage to drive the many traction motors that drive the wheels by varying the voltage. The engine does have a battery only to start the diesel, instruments and running lights.

Here below is a block diagram of a diesel locomotive. Open the traction motor link below the wheel. I was thinking two similar, but smaller traction motors on a hybrid automobile might be more efficient. Then again with a car you have be able to steer it, where a diesel locomotive goes straight down the tracks. The traction motor and simple gearing would be too bulky near the front wheels for any method of steering. My theory shot down about the drive motor mounted near the wheel.

http://www.railway-technical.com/diesel.shtml

Old 08-28-2011, 09:04 AM

this becomes interesting.

We even had saying back in the old country: to discover Americas through the window. meaning - attempting to discover something that was discovered and is well known for long, long time.

THE VERY FIRST EVER HYBRID WAS TRACTION WHEEL MOTOR DESIGN. Porsche. He did 2 motors first, then 4. That was back in late 19th century.
http://www.cartype.com/pages/2417/lohner_porsche__1899

This technology been around for centuries by now, and now is re-discovered by Jaguar, with others to follow, as it makes sense. Has too many advantages to be passed on.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:26 AM

The first nybrid car.
In 1898, Porsche joined the Vienna-based factory Jakob Lohner & Co, that produced coaches for Emperor Franz Joseph I of Austria, as well as for the kings of Norway, Sweden, and Romania. Jakob Lohner had begun construction of automobiles in 1896 under Ludwig Lohner in the trans-Danubian suburb of Floridsdorf.

Their first design, unveiled in 1898, was the "System Lohner-Porsche", a carriage-like car driven by two electric motors, directly fitted to the front wheels, and powered by batteries.
lohner porsche 1

1989 Lohner Porsche Hybrid. (image source: Christophorus Magazine)

This drive train construction was easily expanded to four-wheel drive, by simply mounting two more electric motors to the rear wheels as well, and indeed such a specimen was ordered by the Englishman E. W. Hart in 1900.

In December of that year, the car was presented at the Paris World Exhibition under the name Toujours-Contente. Even though this one-off vehicle had been commissioned for the purposes of racing and record-breaking, the 1,800 kg of lead acid batteries it required graphically illustrated the limits of this powertrain concept.

Although it "showed wonderful speed when it was allowed to sprint", the weight of its huge battery pack meant that it was singularly reluctant to climb hills.

Still employed by Lohner, Porsche reached the logical conclusion and in 1901 introduced the "Mixte" vehicle/transmission concept: instead of a massive battery-pack, an internal combustion engine was fitted to a generator to drive the electric hub motors and (for vehicle reliability) a small battery pack.

This way Porsche had created the first petroleum electric hybrid vehicle on record, although since sufficiently reliable gears and couplings weren't available at the time, he chose to make it a series-hybrid, an arrangement currently more common in diesel-electric or turbo-electric railway locomotives than automobiles.

Although over 300 of the Lohner-Porsche chassis were sold until 1906, most of them were two-wheel drive—either front- or rear-wheel driven trucks, buses and fire-engines. No further four-wheel-drive passenger cars were manufactured, however some buses were fitted with it.

The up to 56 km/h (35 mph) fast carriages broke several Austrian speed records, and also won the Exelberg Rally in 1901 with Porsche himself piloting a front-wheel drive hybrid specimen. It was later upgraded with more powerful engines from Daimler and Panhard, which proved to be enough to post more speed records. In 1905, Porsche was recognized with the Poetting prize as Austria's most outstanding automotive engineer.

Old 08-28-2011, 11:18 AM

That's a interesting find. I got my idea from the diesel locomotive. Your link and the picture of the very first hybrid, motors in the wheels was for sure bulky and heavy. This brings back memories in the mid '50's when Popular Mechanics/Science magazine had a picture on the front cover of a car engine directly coupled to a dc powered electric motor.

Quick Reply: 2012 Camry Hybrid Specs

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands