2012 Prius v, including some info on the new TCH

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 09:25 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2012 Prius v, including some info on the new TCH

Well, actually I disagree, it all depends on where you drive. Take me for example I used to drive Honda Accord and since 90% of my driving is commuting in very heavy traffic I was getting about 20 mpg and yes I keep track of all fuel/repair costs for all my cars. TCH was giving me 40 MPG, until I changed tires, now I get 37-38 mpg with non energy efficient Altimax wheels. So yes, exactly same class/size car - pretty much double the mpg and I do 22k-25k a yr, so the saving is substantial in my case. Have I been driving mostly empty freeways, my numbers would be 28mpg Accord/40 MPG TCH.
For some strange reason, in my case at least, those new EPA numbers just don't add up at all. Accord was rated 20/28 and that's what I was getting, old EPA TCH numbers were something like 40/38 and I was getting 40/40, not 30 something.
I figure I saved about $8k on gas plus $2.5k tax credit with TCH so far and if the car runs good, it should be free in 10 yrs
One interesting point of his numbers is that going from 20 mpg to 40 mpg saves you twice as much money as going from 40mpg to 80mpg and I bet most people never realize that.
BTW where do you guys pay $3.5 for gas? It's been around $4 (give or take 10 cents) seems like forever here (just filled her up for $3.93 reg couple days ago)

Originally Posted by haroldo
The only fair way to determine the value is to compare the TCH with the gas Camry and to use standardized testing.
Listing it against a larger, 20 MPH (or a smaller, 50 MPH) car yields a faulty conclusion. You might as well compare the TCH to a $200MM Abrams tank (1.5 MPG) or a $500 moped (120 mpg).
The EPA differential of the gas and hybrid Camry eliminates all other factors (driving style, weight, temperature, tires, inflation, etc.) and will best determine if the premium paid (~$2500-$3000) makes sense. Obviously the mileage squeezing techniques used by driver would boost the gas car's mileage, too.
By looking at http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymod...ta_Camry.shtml you can see that the 2011 (at current fuel costs) save $727 per year over the 6cyl Camry. That's a four year pay back on the premium. That's nice, but, again, few will be able to retire on the savings. Obviously as gas prices fall (and they are currently falling pretty quickly), the payback gets lengthened. Finally, the extra cost (the premium) has to be financed and might further alter the break even.

All cars run a profit on reimbursement. The cost per mile is supposed to factor in many other costs borne by the driver, including oil, depreciation, wear and tear, etc. not only gas.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:46 AM

All cars run a profit on reimbursement. The cost per mile is supposed to factor in many other costs borne by the driver, including oil, depreciation, wear and tear, etc. not only gas.

that's why when I do oil change once a year (yes, Amsoil works that way) and have to do no repairs, as car is reliable, it's pure profit. most private owners do not have that luxury. Also, there's big difference between a 16mpg work truck and 40mpg TCH, as reimbursement does not calc in those differences, it's same all across the board for any vehicle. And I do all of maintenance and most repairs myself. I simply can not be set as example. But, being only human, I had to have a perverted pleasure of bragging. Sorry, shame on me.

whoever asked about gas prices here, in Pac NW. Sam's or Costco is roughly $3.60 and keeps slowly going down.

Old 08-17-2011, 03:53 AM

Seven days (Aug 23, 2011) till we know the details on the new 2012 TCH. I did more calculations after finding some Japanese magazine that says the 2012 will get 25% more mpg than the 2011. The 2011 shows 33 combined and with the 25% increase would give it 41.25 mpg. That may be close to correct with the 2011 Ford Fusion showing 39 mpg combined. mpg numbers are from the gas mileage gov site.

I could be wrong, due to getting information from a 3rd party.

Old 08-17-2011, 03:55 PM

I find it hard to believe it went up by 25%. Not a betting man, but I'd put money on that.

Old 08-17-2011, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by rburt07;237171 I did more calculations after finding[U
some Japanese[/U] magazine that says the 2012 will get 25% more mpg than the 2011.

I think, Japanese is crucial word here. It's THEIR calculations, for THEIR gas and roads.
Did anyone figure why TCHs are not sold in Japan though? They are not worthy, or Japanese know better than to buy them?

Old 08-17-2011, 09:10 PM

Remember the advertisement, the Ford Fusion Hybrid getting 10 more mpg city than the 2011 TCH. I'm sure Toyota is trying to design their car to equal or beat the Ford's city mpg.