2013 TCH Transmission "creep"

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 05:55 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default 2013 TCH Transmission "creep"

I'm not sure of the correct terminology, but my TCH 2013 behaves much like a regular automatic transmission in one respect: if i'm stopped at a light and lift my foot of the brake pedal, the car starts to creep forward. My TCH 2007 did NOT do this. I could release the brake pedal and the car would sit still until I pressed the "go" pedal.

I'm sure many people like that it now behaves like most other cars, but I think I'd rather have the 2007 behavior.

Is this a customizable setting? Or is the new behavior hard-coded and unchangeable?

Old 05-12-2015, 07:07 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 2013 TCH Transmission "creep"

Interesting. If you stopped the car on a hill and lifted your foot off the brakes, did your 2007 TCH roll backwards?

Old 05-12-2015, 07:52 AM
Enthusiast

My current 2008 TCH, my 2007 Prius, and my 2002 prius all had this effect. It's on purpose and it's always been that way.

Old 05-12-2015, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by restamp
Interesting. If you stopped the car on a hill and lifted your foot off the brakes, did your 2007 TCH roll backwards?
Yes, it would roll back unless you gave it some "gas". On the hills, I would hold the brake. It was rarely ever anything I thought about. Mostly I noticed it was nice not having to hold the brake all the time waiting at stop lights.

Old 05-12-2015, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by purdoom
My current 2008 TCH, my 2007 Prius, and my 2002 prius all had this effect. It's on purpose and it's always been that way.
I'm not sure which way is "that way". You mean all yours creep when you take your foot off the brake? Or all yours wait until you press the "go" pedal before moving forward?

Old 05-12-2015, 10:59 AM
Enthusiast

Sorry, yes, I mean that all of my toyota hybrids have had artificial automatic transmission forward creep, even while the engine was off.

Old 05-13-2015, 06:09 AM
Veracitorian Muser

Originally Posted by bmgoodman
I'm not sure of the correct terminology, but my TCH 2013 behaves much like a regular automatic transmission in one respect: if i'm stopped at a light and lift my foot of the brake pedal, the car starts to creep forward. My TCH 2007 did NOT do this. I could release the brake pedal and the car would sit still until I pressed the "go" pedal.
My 2007 TCH always did the forward creep simulation of a non-hybrid car. Exactly like my 2013 Lexus ES hybrid does now. I think there might have been something wrong with your 2007 TCH. I also would prefer that this simulated behavior was not programmed into these hybrids.

Old 05-13-2015, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by alan_in_tempe
My 2007 TCH always did the forward creep simulation of a non-hybrid car. Exactly like my 2013 Lexus ES hybrid does now. I think there might have been something wrong with your 2007 TCH. I also would prefer that this simulated behavior was not programmed into these hybrids.
Very surprised to hear your 2007 model also didn't creep! I did get one of the very first ones--In June 2006. I wonder if they changed it early in the production run? Nobody at the dealership ever remarked on it, so it seems unlikely mine was some defect.

I really liked not having to hold brake pedal during rush hour!

Old 05-13-2015, 02:57 PM
Active Enthusiast

My 2007 will creep on a relatively flat surface if you release the brake, always has done. However on most inclines it will hold its position if you release the brake.

I took delivery of mine on Halloween 2006.

I just traded my 2007 for a 2015 Hybrid XLE yesterday but don't take delivery until first week of June.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:43 PM
Veracitorian Muser

Originally Posted by bmgoodman
Very surprised to hear your 2007 model also didn't creep! I did get one of the very first ones--In June 2006. I wonder if they changed it early in the production run? Nobody at the dealership ever remarked on it, so it seems unlikely mine was some defect.

I really liked not having to hold brake pedal during rush hour!
I believe you misread what I wrote. My 2007 TCH did creep without brake or accelerator pressed. So does my current 2013 ESH. Both behave just like a normal non-hybrid ICE with an automatic transmission. I would prefer that the simulated creep was not there.

My other car is a BMW i3 all electric. Not only does it not creep, but coasting is done with the pedal partially depressed, and with less depression, it brakes through regen. 90% of my driving is with just one pedal, as the regen is much stronger than with the TCH or ESH, and it will regen down to a complete stop, unless there is a downward slope in the road. (The brake lights are automatic with the amount of deceleration.) The actual brakes are only used for much faster than normal slowing needs or when stopped on a down slope. This is the car that taught me that I really don't like the conventional-automatic-tranmission-simulated creep.

Quick Reply: 2013 TCH Transmission "creep"

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands