About to buy tires (2009 TCH)

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 02:12 AM
Enthusiast
Default About to buy tires (2009 TCH)

My choices are down to this:

- Arizonian Silver Edition III A/S --- Affordable Discount Tire exclusive (might be better known as Cooper)
- Pirelli Cinturato P7 A/S - A bit more eco friendly and still well rounded. Potential wet traction issue
- Continental True Contact A/S - Interesting 90,000 warranty and very high tread grade, not sure what else is good about it. An alternative may be a Discount Tire exclusive called Control Contact which is a really expensive option
- Yokohama YK740 - Looks solid, though I don't know if I like the 60,000 warranty for something this expensive. Not too sold on this yet

I don't much care for the other options because they're either too expensive or have a shorter warranty. I do realize the warranty is not really great on any of these things or means much except for one important thing - the fact they're putting higher, or lower, warranties is going to say something about the quality of their tread wear. Continental seems to win in this regard. Pirelli is winning by reputation on TCHs however, as far as I can tell; the warranty is still close, they're more affordable than Continentals and most say they're just as solid except...I do live in Washington state, where it rains more often than not and rather fast and hard at times. So wet traction is a bit of an importance here. Can anyone testify to the quality of Pirelli P7 wet traction? If so that might sell me on them immediately.

Thanks.

Old 03-08-2017, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator
Default Re: About to buy tires (2009 TCH)

I can't say anything about your choices as I always run Michelin tires on everything I own (well, the Kenworth has Bridgestone Ecopia's on it but that is not exactly my daily driver). I will let you in on one secret though, a tire with a high mileage tread warranty is usually made from a very hard compound and will not have the grip of a more high performance tire. Generally speaking the softer the compound, the more grip the tire will have and the shorter life it will have.

Old 03-08-2017, 08:51 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the input, I think in my research I was sorta getting there but didn't really think of that. I'm not a sporty driver at all; I speed only to get slow morons behind me, and otherwise I'm only about safety and frugality. I want to save, save, save! And keep my family safe. So since I live in a rainy area, I do want something with a decent grip, but I don't think it necessarily has to be top of the line to get it done as far as traction goes.

And yeah, I know a lot of people run Michelins exclusively and I get why. Funny thing is I know someone with the same car but a different color and I just found out that she's doing Defenders. But at $130 a pop that's a very expensive tire. Maybe it's worth it.

Old 03-09-2017, 08:18 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I swear by Yokohama 580 or whatever they are now. Low rolling resistance. Great tire. Second set on my YCH.

Old 03-27-2017, 03:40 PM
Enthusiast

I just put Sumatumo Touring LT's on my 2007 and I have been very happy with their performance and they didn't cost me an arm and a leg.

Old 04-07-2017, 07:07 AM
Active Enthusiast

I just get Michelin Premier A/S at Costco. They are great tires at a great price, and they often have specials where you buy four and get a $70 rebate. Road hazard is included at no extra charge. My TCH's fuel economy is the same as when I had the OEM Michelin tires, but the Premier's tread wear last much longer. Total cost for a set $403.96 out the door.

Old 04-08-2017, 09:49 AM
Veracitorian Muser

I believe the Costco $70 rebate on 4 tires alternates every couple months between Bridgestone and Michelin. I concur that the Michelin Premier A/S (All Season) are great tires for the TCH and similar family sedans.

Also, Discount Tire will match the Costco price with the $70 rebate, even if the Costco rebate cycle is currently on Bridgestone tires. At least one Discount Tire store did that for me last time when Costco did not have the Michelin rebate current and I needed tires then!

Old 04-09-2017, 03:39 AM
Enthusiast

Appreciate that, I did consider the Michelin Premier deal you're mentioning because of that but I also heard that Michelins are a bit overrated from a trusted source (I know someone who drives the exact same car) and they don't last long/potential wet traction issues? Although I think this may have been in reference to Defenders and not Premier, but not 100% about that.

Old 04-17-2017, 07:57 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LEAKYTCH
I just get Michelin Premier A/S at Costco. They are great tires at a great price, and they often have specials where you buy four and get a $70 rebate. Road hazard is included at no extra charge. My TCH's fuel economy is the same as when I had the OEM Michelin tires, but the Premier's tread wear last much longer. Total cost for a set $403.96 out the door.
How'd you get that to be so low? Those are really expensive tires lmao. I just wanna make sure I know what to tell them; I know it probably involved price matching with Costco but I just get the feeling if I tell them "I know a guy who got Premiers for $403" that might not be too convincing.