Add-on XM radio and the Aux jack...

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 04:31 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Add-on XM radio and the Aux jack...

Has anyone tried plugging in an add-on XM radio (like the Roady XT) to the Aux jack?

I am using this receiver with its built-in FM transmitter, but I thought that the audio quality was supposed to be better with the direct connection.

I bought a cable to connect them at Radio Shack today and tried it out in the parking lot. When I connected it, the audio level was VERY low (I had to crank the volume on the Camry stereo to MAX to get it loud enough to hear. There was also an annoying "hiss" in the background - I think this might have been a ground loop problem, but even if this could eliminated - there is no way to deal with the very low audio level that I am aware of. Is this correct? I didn't see any level adjustment in the on screen menus of the Camry, and the XM radio only has a level adjustment for the FM transmitter (and it was maxed out).

I ended up returning the cable.

Has anyone else had issues like this?

Thanks

Old 07-13-2006, 06:49 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Add-on XM radio and the Aux jack...

I plug my ipod in and the volume is fine. The xm should have some volume on it. doesn't it work with headphones?

Old 07-13-2006, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by gaijin42
I plug my ipod in and the volume is fine. The xm should have some volume on it. doesn't it work with headphones?
I did do a little experiment, and the headphones weren't too bad. I managed to find another cable in my box-o-wires, and tried again.

I managed to discover that there is indeed an audio output level adjustment on the RoadyXT, but cranking it up only made a moderate difference.

I think I am going to try buying a Ground Loop Isolator and see how well it cleans up the signal. The hiss/whine is really bad.

Does your iPod sound OK if you have it plugged into the 12V power jacks? Or is it self-powered when you have used it?

Old 07-13-2006, 07:51 PM
Olde Farte

Originally Posted by spiff72
Has anyone tried plugging in an add-on XM radio (like the Roady XT) to the Aux jack?

I am using this receiver with its built-in FM transmitter, but I thought that the audio quality was supposed to be better with the direct connection.

I bought a cable to connect them at Radio Shack today and tried it out in the parking lot. When I connected it, the audio level was VERY low (I had to crank the volume on the Camry stereo to MAX to get it loud enough to hear. There was also an annoying "hiss" in the background - I think this might have been a ground loop problem, but even if this could eliminated - there is no way to deal with the very low audio level that I am aware of. Is this correct? I didn't see any level adjustment in the on screen menus of the Camry, and the XM radio only has a level adjustment for the FM transmitter (and it was maxed out).

I ended up returning the cable.

Has anyone else had issues like this?

Thanks
I bought my cable at Radio Shack and i works fine with my "MyFi" XM. I have found that I need to run the volume a little higher for XM in either a direct or FM mode.

Old 07-15-2006, 12:17 AM
Convert

Originally Posted by spiff72
I did do a little experiment, and the headphones weren't too bad. I managed to find another cable in my box-o-wires, and tried again.

I managed to discover that there is indeed an audio output level adjustment on the RoadyXT, but cranking it up only made a moderate difference.

I think I am going to try buying a Ground Loop Isolator and see how well it cleans up the signal. The hiss/whine is really bad.

Does your iPod sound OK if you have it plugged into the 12V power jacks? Or is it self-powered when you have used it?
I usually have my iPod self-powered. But I have noticed that when I connect a 12V power adapter to it, I notice a faint hiss, in addition to a louder crackling noise everytime the hard drive of the iPod starts to spin (usually at the beginning of a new song).

Old 07-15-2006, 08:36 AM

I tried it again when I got home (I found another patch cable in my box-o-wires), and discovered that there is an audio out level adjustment on the Roady (it is only present when something is hooked up to the line output). It wasn't a huge boost, but it helped.

I ordered a ground loop isolator from Crutchfield and will report on what I find out. I am hoping this will clear up the noise, and that the boost in the audio out level will help with the volume problems.

More to come...

Old 07-18-2006, 03:14 PM

Update:

I got my GLI filter from Crutchfield today and installed it my TCH.

MAJOR improvement over the "naked" aux connection. I think it sounds a bit better than the FM modulator too.

I am much happier now, but I wish that the "hole" for wire pass-through in the console cubby was on the driver's side instead of the passenger side. I have the Roady XT mounted on the driver's side, and thus have to route the power and audio cable over the front of the closed cubby. If I get ambitious, I might see if I can route them under the console (with a little bit of disassembly). I wish I had a manual that shows how to take it apart!

Old 07-18-2006, 03:49 PM
Active Enthusiast

jeff:

info can be found here:

http://oregonstate.edu/~tongt/camry/

Old 07-18-2006, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by jk110
jeff:

info can be found here:

http://oregonstate.edu/~tongt/camry/
I have already downloaded all of those with the exception of the rapidshare ones (since you can only download one of those per day).

Can you recommend one that explains how to remove the console (I was thinking MAYBE the Instrument Panel one, but this really isn't the IP)...

Thanks!

Old 07-18-2006, 04:33 PM

Never mind - I managed to grab 3-4 of the files today - it was in the instrument panel one. Now I need to build up the nerve to yank my new car apart.

Quick Reply: Add-on XM radio and the Aux jack...

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands