Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Toyota Camry Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/)
-   -   Adding Brake fluid to reservoir (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/adding-brake-fluid-reservoir-31597/)

srivenkat 07-06-2018 07:20 AM

Adding Brake fluid to reservoir

Hi All,

The dealer replaced the brake reservoir at 98K miles, as part of the service campaign for the reservoir filter clogging up. At that time the dealer's invoice showed 5 qts of fluid being used, which I assume means a full fluid flush/replacement was performed.

Now the car is at 122K miles and the fluid level in the reservoir is about a half inch below the minimum. Front pads are at 6 and the rear at 7; the rears were replaced a few years back.

Would it be OK to quickly open the reservoir top and add some fluid from a freshly opened container to bring it up to the Max level?

Also, I see the top of the reservoir doesn't have a flexible accordion style cap. So, I am wondering if the void caused in the reservoir by worn pads is replaced by air, and if so where does the air come from?

Thanks in advance.

Pete4 07-13-2018 08:54 AM

Re: Adding Brake fluid to reservoir

I would make sure I have right break fluid, either Toyota, or some exact replacement and keep it at least at the minimum, but I would absolutely check for leaks: my car shows close to full when all pads new, but I think it never goes bellow minimum when pads wear off. Of course dealer may have not put right amount of fluid in the first place, but keep an eye on it.
PS. I'm assuming both reservoirs are same level and it's not dirty filter issue per Toyota TSB.

srivenkat 07-13-2018 11:50 AM

Re: Adding Brake fluid to reservoir

Thanks. It actually turned out that the fluid level is at Max. It was some sort of an optical illusion that caused there level appear to be at Min. The real level is visible if I put my hand on the side of the reservoir and look.