Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Toyota Camry Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/)
-   -   Adding fog lights-what brand? (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/adding-fog-lights-what-brand-17599/)

UWAdventurer 03-31-2008 06:07 PM

Adding fog lights-what brand?

I am looking at adding fogs to my TCH. I am looking at JDM Clear fog lights, any suggestions? Also, they don't come with instructions, any idea where I could find instructions? Where is the best place to add the switch on the dash? I have added fogs to many of my vehicles, however the battery was under the hood, not in the trunk. I assume there is a spot in the fuse box which is hot to tap into or takes a relay? Also any better prices, I have found the JDM's for $82.99 including shipping.

habu968 04-01-2008 06:35 PM

Re: Adding fog lights-what brand?

I too would like to have foglights on our TCH, but I am hesitant to do them as they are not an official Toyota accessory for this car.

haroldo 04-02-2008 01:51 AM

Investigate whether they are legal in your state or not. http://search.dmv.org/dmv/fog%20lights

mikieboyblue 04-02-2008 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by UWAdventurer (Post 166824)
I am looking at adding fogs to my TCH. I am looking at JDM Clear fog lights, any suggestions? Also, they don't come with instructions, any idea where I could find instructions? Where is the best place to add the switch on the dash? I have added fogs to many of my vehicles, however the battery was under the hood, not in the trunk. I assume there is a spot in the fuse box which is hot to tap into or takes a relay? Also any better prices, I have found the JDM's for $82.99 including shipping.

I think there were some posts about people purchasing JDM's from Ebay and they worked out well. There is another thread that discussed fog lights....

You might find some of these helpful....

Supplemental Fog Lights
Fog Lights
Current Modified Hybrids and Future Modifications (pages 4 - 5)
Another person who installed fogs

UWAdventurer 04-04-2008 06:10 PM

Thanks all, maybe splicing into the low beams would be an option. I will have to take the time to look at the fuse box and see if there is a spot that is "Hot" that I could wire to that is ignition activated.

mikieboyblue 04-05-2008 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by UWAdventurer (Post 167410)
Thanks all, maybe splicing into the low beams would be an option. I will have to take the time to look at the fuse box and see if there is a spot that is "Hot" that I could wire to that is ignition activated.

If you do a fog light install, could you take pictures of your steps and post instructions?

UWAdventurer 04-06-2008 05:22 AM

I can try, I will be doing the spoiler, ground effects, and fogs probably at the same time. I still have to determine which fogs to purchase, and look at the possible wiring alternatives.

mikieboyblue 04-06-2008 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by UWAdventurer (Post 167532)
I can try, I will be doing the spoiler, ground effects, and fogs probably at the same time. I still have to determine which fogs to purchase, and look at the possible wiring alternatives.

Thanks Ronald. I would love to see your implementation.

Randyman 04-09-2008 11:31 AM

Because I have gotten so much information from this site, I thought I would finally throw in my own two cents. I totally love my Hybrid and I have made a lot of modifications to it. I just like to mess with stuff.

I added fog lights a while ago and the way I did it was to use the Toyota OEM lights. They are made to fit the cool openings in the lower front of the car and then just buy the rubber pieces used on the Camry XLE or SE. It will look just like it came from the factory. I've gotten a lot of original equipment Toyota stuff from this site: http://www.magauto.com/default.asp?i...catalogid=3408

They have a searchable catalog and many exploded diagrams so you can pick what you want. I even used them to replace my smashed driver’s side mirror - you can order replacement parts by your car color!!!

I was not about to spend the money (or go to the trouble of) replacing my whole steering column with the pillar with the switch. So I found out that the Toyota Fog Light assembly comes with H11 bulbs. A quick search on the web revealed that the Volkswagen MK5 uses H11 Fog lights. You can buy the MK5 harness at: http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edpd/...egory=Lighting and the part you are looking for is the: ECS Fog Light Wiring Harness-H11 Bulbs (ES#7714). The harness comes with the wires, the sockets that fit the H11 bulbs and a nice Bosch relay for switching the lights.

After that, pick a nice dash mounted switch from Pep Boys. I picked one that had a little LED so I knew it was in the "On" Position. I mounted it to the dash panel that snaps out under steering wheel. The little dash switch is powered by tapping into the accessory outlet in the center console. That way the fog lights will go out when you turn the ignition off.

Since I knew I would probably be adding other stuff to the car, I ran a heavy gauge wire from the battery to a new fuse box that I mounted under the driver’s seat. The fog lights are powered through the new fuse box to the Bosch relay. That is important: big power to the lights from their own 15 amp fuse, little power from the Accessory outlet to the switch. You do not want to be running the fog lights off the same fuse as the Accessory outlet!! You’ll blow a fuse if you turn on the fog lights while using your 12V hair dryer!!!

Anyway, it is a little involved, but I really like the fog light look. I bought cool yellow foggers and I love the way they look!! Don’t know if they do a freakin' thing in the fog, but I smile every time I see yellow reflected back from the bumper of the car ahead. So maybe it is just a “make Randy happy” switch!!! :shade:

UWAdventurer 04-09-2008 04:54 PM

Thanks for the info Randyman, my biggest concern now is how to route the wires. I have not had the time to investigate where to run the wires through the firewall, etc. I debated on yellow fog lights, the wife wants clear, you know who will win that one. What color is your TCH, ours is Barcelona Red. It's all about the "make Randy happy" isn't it! Any mods you can do to customize the car to your taste always make you smile! Yes, the fogs really add a nice look to the car. I will probably go with the JDM fogs, they come with the wiring harness and switch.

You said the panel on the dash pops out. That's the panel where the ECO switch is? I've been afraid to force anything and we have only had the car for 2 months. It looks like it is seperate from the Knee airbag panel, is that true?

Thanks again.

Ron