Adding fog lights-what brand?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 03:08 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Adding fog lights-what brand?

Hey UWAdventurer!!!

My Camry is also Barcelona Red and I love it!!! My last car was a Black Honda Civic and I had it for 11 years: It was time to spice things up!!!

Yeah the panel with the ECO switch is where I installed my LED button. There are two stiffening ridges on the back side and there are some clearance issues with stuff behind the panel so pick your area before you drill. It is made of stiff plastic and will give with a resounding pop. It is scary the first time, now I just popped it off to see where I am going to install the switch for the neon undercarriage lights. Hey the car drives like a space ship – it might as well look like one!!!

If you look in behind the center console, up about a foot below the top of the dash – you will see a rubber bulkhead. The rubber seal has a hole in the middle crammed full of the dash wiring harness. It is too tight to feed your wires through. But if you are diligent, you can work the rubber gasket off and pass your wires through the hole. Cover the wire with a plastic tube or a couple of layers of electrical tape so the edge of the hole won’t chafe through your wire. Then replace the rubber gasket, it will pop in when you push enough of it back through the hole.

It is tricky to get to and I found it easier to recline my seat, put a cushion on the driver side floor and reach this bulkhead on my back. I live in NYC and have to do most of my work while the car is parked on the street. Imagine people walking by my car seeing a pair of sneakers sticking up in the air on the driver’s side!!!

If you found a pair of foggers that you like then definitely go for it. If you have a wife that is into what you are doing, then you are a way ahead of the game. I’m still looking for her!!! I guess I wanted to go with the Toyota OEM stuff because I wanted it to look factory. Will you be able to mount yours in the same place? Either way, they will look cool. Once you install the first item, you just get inspired to keep adding and like you said, why not. We own a great car, we are saving gas – we deserve to be creative with such a great auto!! Good luck, I know it will come out great!!!

Old 04-10-2008, 05:39 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Randyman
Hey UWAdventurer!!!

My Camry is also Barcelona Red and I love it!!! My last car was a Black Honda Civic and I had it for 11 years: It was time to spice things up!!!

Yeah the panel with the ECO switch is where I installed my LED button. There are two stiffening ridges on the back side and there are some clearance issues with stuff behind the panel so pick your area before you drill. It is made of stiff plastic and will give with a resounding pop. It is scary the first time, now I just popped it off to see where I am going to install the switch for the neon undercarriage lights. Hey the car drives like a space ship – it might as well look like one!!!

If you look in behind the center console, up about a foot below the top of the dash – you will see a rubber bulkhead. The rubber seal has a hole in the middle crammed full of the dash wiring harness. It is too tight to feed your wires through. But if you are diligent, you can work the rubber gasket off and pass your wires through the hole. Cover the wire with a plastic tube or a couple of layers of electrical tape so the edge of the hole won’t chafe through your wire. Then replace the rubber gasket, it will pop in when you push enough of it back through the hole.

It is tricky to get to and I found it easier to recline my seat, put a cushion on the driver side floor and reach this bulkhead on my back. I live in NYC and have to do most of my work while the car is parked on the street. Imagine people walking by my car seeing a pair of sneakers sticking up in the air on the driver’s side!!!

If you found a pair of foggers that you like then definitely go for it. If you have a wife that is into what you are doing, then you are a way ahead of the game. I’m still looking for her!!! I guess I wanted to go with the Toyota OEM stuff because I wanted it to look factory. Will you be able to mount yours in the same place? Either way, they will look cool. Once you install the first item, you just get inspired to keep adding and like you said, why not. We own a great car, we are saving gas – we deserve to be creative with such a great auto!! Good luck, I know it will come out great!!!
Nice work man. I wish I had the time!!

Old 04-10-2008, 07:03 AM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks mikieboyblue!! It is nice to start participating in a forum with some many other people who love the Camry Hybrid!! I do spend a lot of time tinkering and I'm glad so far I have mostly success stories. I am going to start posting some threads because I guess if people want to try some of this stuff, I have learned a thing or two. Also I do have a couple of "I would have done it different if I had known" stories!!! Do what your time will let you squeeze in, at least you bought the right car!!!

Old 04-10-2008, 09:01 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Randyman
Thanks mikieboyblue!! It is nice to start participating in a forum with some many other people who love the Camry Hybrid!! I do spend a lot of time tinkering and I'm glad so far I have mostly success stories. I am going to start posting some threads because I guess if people want to try some of this stuff, I have learned a thing or two. Also I do have a couple of "I would have done it different if I had known" stories!!! Do what your time will let you squeeze in, at least you bought the right car!!!
Those stories would be great! I know that I fear breaking some piece of plastic on the dash when I wont on cars because they just don't make those clips very strong, or easy to get off.

You are a few hours away from where I live (Poughkeepsie).

I look forward to seeing some of your additional information on the mods you have done.

Old 04-10-2008, 02:44 PM
Active Enthusiast

Hey, I think I figured out how to imbed pictures - here goes!!

Ron, I am attaching a picture of a Barcelona Red Hybrid with yellow foggers. Your wife should at least look and then decide - she is still a treasure because she cares about what you do!!!

Here is the front of my Hybrid with foggers on:

Let me know how you decide!!!

I also installed the ground effects kit last weekend and I'll be starting a thread on that over the weekend.

Last edited by Randyman; 04-10-2008 at 03:34 PM.
Old 04-10-2008, 04:36 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Nice car, looks like a very familiar color...LOL.

My ground effects is on order, Razzi with "simulated" dual exhaust. That looks like what you installed, correct? Start a thread, I am interested in how difficult it was to install and any suggestions you have for me.

Great info on the lights, thanks! We will decide on the fog light color this weekend probably. Looking at the JDM with super white bulbs. About $85 it looks like.

We have 20% tint on our windows, installed last weekend.

Shhhh.., yes she is a good wife. don't tell her. It's really her car, but she is good about letting me add what I think is needed. Ground effects was a bit of a push, but she does like the look. I'm sure she will help me install everything, she is a hands on girl.

Great car and great look Randyman! Keep the great threads coming!

Old 04-10-2008, 06:20 PM
Active Enthusiast

Yeah I installed the Razzi Kit and it was pretty easy. I'll go more into it when I start that thread and I'll also attach a pdf (I think that is one of the allowable attachments) of the Razzi instructions.

I think the biggest tip would be if you have 2 jack stands, borrow a pair from a buddy or neighbor. Each piece needs to be secured in the wheel well. So if you can get the car on jack stands, remove all 4 wheels - you could probably do it in about 3 hours!!!

Since I only had two stands, I was constantly lifting the car, installing one wheel taking off another. I was exhausted cracking and tightenting lug nuts!!!

A wife that is not only into car tinkering, will let you play with her car and will even help you do it - you are just too lucky!!!

Old 04-12-2008, 05:20 AM

Randyman, I have ramps and jack stands, sounds like I'm in business.

What did you use to clean and wipe the wax off the body to ensure the tape would stick on the Razzi? My kit may should be here in about a week. I am going to take my time and look over the instructions and round up some additional help to do the install. I want to make sure I have everything I need before I start the installation.

I showed Mama (the wife) your pic. She likes the sporty look, I think she still wants the clear lights though. I figured the yellow would make the car "different" from the others, maybe if I keep talking... I tried on the Razzi spoiler but she liked the stock, so stock it is!

Did you install the simulated exhaust also? Looks like there is a mount point above the plastic panel on the rear drivers side.

Old 04-12-2008, 06:08 PM

Purchased the JDM clear fog lights today on EBAY. The wife wanted clear, however if we change our mind I see there are yellow bulbs on the net that can be purchased. Looks like there was good feedback on these from other purchasers. Will look at the wiring when it warms up.

Old 04-14-2008, 12:43 PM

What would a dealer charge to install a set of fog lights on a TCH?? Is it something that can be done at home in an hour or so or will it take 5-6 hours?? I looked at where the fog lights go and there is not much access to that area on the car. Any help would be appreciated!!

Quick Reply: Adding fog lights-what brand?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands