Adding fog lights-what brand?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 03:46 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Adding fog lights-what brand?

I don't know what the dealer would charge, everything I have asked about was extremely expensive. I will do it myself and have the sense of satisfaction when I'm finished. Fogs will take a while to install because everything is so tight, I will take the time to figure out exactly how I will run things before I start, so I imagine it will be several hours.

Old 04-14-2008, 05:47 PM
Active Enthusiast

Hi Chris,

I am not really sure how much the dealer would charge, but I had one guy give me a WAG (Wild A__ Guess) of around $1000. But keep in mind they are talking about the official fog light installation – the lights, the harness and replacing the steering column pillars with the ones with the fog light switches. You can’t really ask a Toyota Mechanic to go “off the reservation”. You may be able to find some local mechanic to do a custom job that is cheaper.

What I described in the earlier threads is a custom job. Toyota OEM fog lights, Volkswagen MK5 wire harness and a little switch on your dash. I think the overall cost was probably about $250.

It was about 5 hours work because I was making it up as I went along. Access to the fog light bays is pretty easy actually. You have to remove the two panels under the front of the car - a bunch of screws and a few of those pop out fasteners. Running the wires from the dash was a little more work. Read my thread about getting to the bulkhead behind the dash. It was a lot of time under the dash.

Like a lot of these projects you have to stick with it. Luckily there is a lot of advice in this forum and people who are willing to share their experiences.

I hope that helps,
Randyman

Old 05-13-2008, 06:57 PM

Got my fogs installed except for running the wires through the fiewall and installing the switch. Figured out the wiring before I started the install since there were no wiring instructions. Nice OEM set from Ebay. I am debating about splicing into the parking lights to power the relay. Thoughts anyone? That would eliminate the swith and running the wiring through the firewall. They would also go out with the lights.

Any help on aiming the fogs when I'm done? I usually back my car about 25 feet from my garage door and aim them below my main lights. The lights have adjusting ***** on the bottom, should be easy enough.

Found the main battery lug in the fuse box under the hood. Ran my main 12V feed for the lights off it through the relay. A lot easier than running off the battery in the trunk. I haven't had a chance to take pics of the install, I am having trouble sizing them to be useable after attaching them. Not so good on the computer. I will try to write up the install instructions after I'm finished. It pretty straight forward.

I'm waiting on a replacement bezel, one was broken when I received it, the Ebay seller is replacing it.

Old 05-13-2008, 11:05 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by UWAdventurer
Got my fogs installed except for running the wires through the fiewall and installing the switch. Figured out the wiring before I started the install since there were no wiring instructions. Nice OEM set from Ebay. I am debating about splicing into the parking lights to power the relay. Thoughts anyone? That would eliminate the swith and running the wiring through the firewall. They would also go out with the lights.

Any help on aiming the fogs when I'm done? I usually back my car about 25 feet from my garage door and aim them below my main lights. The lights have adjusting ***** on the bottom, should be easy enough.

Found the main battery lug in the fuse box under the hood. Ran my main 12V feed for the lights off it through the relay. A lot easier than running off the battery in the trunk. I haven't had a chance to take pics of the install, I am having trouble sizing them to be useable after attaching them. Not so good on the computer. I will try to write up the install instructions after I'm finished. It pretty straight forward.

I'm waiting on a replacement bezel, one was broken when I received it, the Ebay seller is replacing it.
please share some pics and your wiring installation when you already installed your foglights. Im also planning to get one but im hesitant to install one because i dont know how to do the wirings

Old 05-19-2008, 04:10 PM

Finished my fog light install. Looks nice. It's raining, so I will get them aimed in a couple of days, plus I've been working 7 days a week. Tired.

Special thanks Mikieboyblue and Randyman for your help and experience. Several others offered suggestions and help, thanks to you also.

Rechecked the accessory plug as recommended, originally had my meter set wrong, DUH! Told you I was tired!! Thanks Mikieboyblue. Used it to close the switch on my relay to supply the battery power to the lights so they cannot be left on if the car is not running.

Installation was not all that bad, just have to be flexible.

Again, thanks all!!!!!

Old 05-19-2008, 05:50 PM
Active Enthusiast

I have not looked yet but if i wanted to install the OEM fogs is any of the wiring already there? It would seem that they might put some of the wiring in. As far as the steering column switch. We are talking about the stalk on the left side of the wheel right? So to get the OEM switch I would just need to put a new stalk on that has a switch. My concern is that if I put that switch in, the wiring harness that goes from that switch to where ever, does it already have the wiring for the fogs there? it would seem that it would be more cost effective to just at least run the wiring but not add all the components such as relays, lights etc.. maybe someone could elaborate on this.

Old 05-20-2008, 05:44 AM
Active Enthusiast

Congratulations Ron!!! I know it was tough job to install but I bet you have spent a lot of time in front of your car, admiring your work!!! Please post pictures soon and remember that feeling of pride and satisfaction makes this DIY stuff so much fun!!!

If you are using the Accessory outlet to trigger, did you use the port hole in the firewall? Did you go upside down like I did?

Any word on the Razzi kit? I know it must be driving you nuts. Not sure what the hold up could be. Factory Wings pulled the kit, painted it and sent it in less than 2 weeks. With any of this mail order stuff, if they don't ship it - they can't charge you. That alone is insentive for them to rush. Also the longer they delay, the more a customer has time to have second thoughts!! Let us know how that install goes as well.

Congrats my friend,
Randyman

Old 05-20-2008, 05:53 AM
Active Enthusiast

Hey Alex,

You can see from my earlier threads I installed the factory lights and did not find the connectors back there. For all of us fog light fans, it seems like the "Holy Grail" and we wish we could just click and snap those things in place.

I've removed the under fairings and never saw anything that looked like a connector waiting for a fog light. I did see connectors attached to a grounding lug. I thought they may be for lights but the Toyota Lights use an H11 connector and there are no H11 connectors anywhere near the front of the car. I went with the VW harness because they happen to use H11 connectors and had a complete fog light kit with a Bosche 12V Relay.

Yeah the "pillar switch" is the steering column switch on the left. I know I looked it up but I forgot how much that costs. After not finding any matching connectors down there, I just went ahead with my own install as described earlier.

I still like my lights and as I said, "I smile everytime I turn them on!!"
Good luck,
Randyman

Old 05-20-2008, 08:20 AM
Driving in stealth mode

Would anybody be generous enough to write up some instructions for how you did this. Some of us non-technical people would greatly appreciate it. For those of that can't read to well pictures would be helpful too!!

I would like to attempt this but have never done any wiring on a vehicle before...other than adding in my IPod interface recently.

Old 05-20-2008, 08:31 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Congrats Ronald! I am glad it worked out and all is well. :-D

You're welcome.

Quick Reply: Adding fog lights-what brand?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands